Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any experience with car shows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

byeLT4

Feb 16, 2017
Texas
I really want to put my Model S into a car show in a few weeks. I live in a mid-sized (Texas) town and I am sure there will be quite a few old school hot rods there, a few newer sports cars and a handful of classics. I kinda want to do it to answer questions and maybe help dispel some myths about electric cars. Anyone have experience and do's and don'ts with our cars at a show? Any advice appreciated!

I did a small, local one a around four years ago. Was well received. I called ahead and managed get a spot near a 120V outlet so I could plug in and discuss it while the car was actually charging. I bought a big bottle of V8 vegetable juice, popped the hood and displayed the bottle in the frunk. I was really surprised by how much kids and teens knew about the car--they almost seemed drawn to it. Although I expected some push back from the the guys with the big V8s who were also displaying their rides, that didn't happen. Have a good time, enjoy the crowd and people you have an opportunity to speak with, buy a sausage and pepper sandwich from the food truck and enjoy the day.

• Love
Reactions: David29 and byeLT4
Just be aware that all types go to these car shows---most folks are wonderful, but.......there are plenty of nuts and jealous people out there. Don't be surprised if a ring leader of a small group of 2-3 starts challenging you on the millions of car fires caused by the batteries (and of course he won't own a Tesla and won't know anyone that does either); he will be the expert telling anyone within listening distance that the cars only get 15 miles per charge and frequently leave the drivers stranded; and that every other battery fails; etc., etc. It is the same for any car show regardless of the cars involved. I had several corvettes over the years and at least 75% of the time one of these nuts would attend one of the shows and start bad mouthing the corvettes (or 442's; or Mustangs---depended upon where they are standing). As long as you are aware this might happen and are prepared to ignore them or just give them a glance with a short remark about how it is too bad they don't have a clue, you will have a blast. You will meet a ton of great people. I am guessing the kids and teenagers will k ow much more about the Tesla's than their parents.

Before the pandemic I went to a small local show (happens Saturday night in the summer---anywhere from 30 to 75 cars might show up). One regular kept badgering me about how the Tesla'a are always in for repairs, and how he saw dozens and dozens at a SC in for repairs, etc., etc. Finally, my buddy (an 82 year old gentleman) asked the guy for specifics. Turns out he worked across the street from a SC and saw all the sold NEW cars being delivered to the SC -------he mistakenly thought they were all being trucked in for repairs. The nuts see and hear what they want to see and hear.

You will have a wonderful time if you ignore the nuts. Here's hoping you get lucky and dont encounter any. The kids 10 to 20 will make your day.

…but.......there are plenty of nuts and jealous people out there.
The nuts see and hear what they want to see and hear.

You will have a wonderful time if you ignore the nuts. Here's hoping you get lucky and dont encounter any. The kids 10 to 20 will make your day.
8 years of showing off my Tesla, and I've rarely met nuts. They exist, but are rare. The most amusing one I've met was a nut who insisted that he created a perpetual motion gocart [my words, not his] using a 12v battery, a simple electric motor, and a dynamo connected to the axle. He claimed to have "a working model" and didn't understand my skepticism.

• Funny
Reactions: David29 and byeLT4
I've taken my Roadster to a fair number of car shows, and I've never seen any other electric car at any of them. I've never experienced hostility, but I have been widely ignored by almost all the other exhibitors because they just don't get it. It's not speaking their language. If you don't expect to win any awards, then you'll be fine.

Attendees, on the other hand. . . There are always some people wandering into the show who are tickled pink to see it. A lot of kids get it, and sometimes want their picture snapped with it.

I took my Model 3 shortly after getting it to a classic car show in Norwalk, CT. I called first and asked if I could show it, and they said no. I turned up at the gate on the day and they were intrigued and let me in. I did notice there were a quite a few modern Mustangs on display that were clearly not 'classic cars'. So that was my argument if they refused me. Had quite a few folks who were interested in it. I made sure to leave the frunk open for people to see :) (no v8 juice tho!). I wouldn't do it now, as 3s and Ys are dime a dozen in Fairfield county.

Reactions: dhrivnak and byeLT4
@Bill Foster Well, I've never owned a unique vehicle, but my dad has a '57 Chevy that miiiiight be mine one day. I have had nine Corvettes with the last one being a fully loaded C7 Z06, which was the latest and greatest at the time. Most people would think it definitely looked cooler, however I have had way more people talk to me about the Model S and sooo many want to ride in it. I think many find it way cooler and more unique than you think. I know it surprised me. I'd love to find someone with an OG Roadster that would set up with me, don't think there is one in my city unfortunately.

I really want to put my Model S into a car show in a few weeks. I live in a mid-sized (Texas) town and I am sure there will be quite a few old school hot rods there, a few newer sports cars and a handful of classics. I kinda want to do it to answer questions and maybe help dispel some myths about electric cars. Anyone have experience and do's and don'ts with our cars at a show? Any advice appreciated!
I have done it often and I even had to come up with some laminated common questions as usually I had far more people genuinely curious and wanting to ask question than I could answer. I had my Roadster which is a real eye catcher. But I assume you will get similar with the Model S. The younger kids really get it as do many of the spectators, Not sure I was a fan of many of the other car owners, no hostility but you could sure see what cars the public thought were interesting and the Roadster was top of the list. I actually have come away with several awards so I am really ahead.

Reactions: byeLT4
Neither are the majority of cars at most car shows. They're usually quite common cars with mods. If someone has modded their S it will fit in fine.
Meh, and I would think they are worthless too.

Car shows are for unique cars that are special and usually old. I would think seeing a new Bugatti at a car show wouldnt be cool, great you have a *sugar* ton of money but no taste. But show up in a Bugatti 57 or an eb110, that’s cool. Maybe I’m weird

• Informative
Meh, and I would think they are worthless too.

Car shows are for unique cars that are special and usually old. I would think seeing a new Bugatti at a car show wouldnt be cool, great you have a *sugar* ton of money but no taste. But show up in a Bugatti 57 or an eb110, that’s cool. Maybe I’m weird
I just think you just have a very rigid view of what a car show is. It's people who show their cars and what they've done to them. Most cars shows don't even have that many old cars. It's usually modded euros and Japanese cars and the draw is the mods. Every show is different and Teslas would be more than welcome at most.

I have brought my Model S to a few "Cars and Coffee" events, and to one or two other car shows. I have a tri-fold display panel that stands in my frunk with basic information about the car, and there have been just enough interested attendees to usually keep a steady stream of conversations going.
One thing I do is to allow people in my car. Including kids. The leather upholstery is tough, I am not afraid of damage, and have had none. That promotes conversation, especially when someone can sit in the front and see the big screen. When they ask about charging (which is topic #1), if they are patient I show them how the navigation system finds charging locations for them, and sometimes even have it plot a trip to show how that works.
Just don't park next to a Model X -- they get all the attention with the falcon wing doors!
Mostly, though, I attend EV-specific events, where we offer folks the chance to ride or drive. Those are a mixed bag. Their success depends heavily on the venue and why people are there. We have had some good experiences in library parking lots and shopping centers, but it does not always work well and the EV owners mostly end up talking with each other.

• Helpful
I took my Model S to a local car show a few years ago.

There was another Model S there.

I overheard one guy look at mine and say “that’s boring....there’s nothing going on!”. Of course the car was off and the screens were blank but obviously he wants buttons and knobs.

I took 7 people for rides. They all loved it. One owned a beefed up Camaro but when I punched the accelerator, he yelled out “holy sh!t!”. And I just have a 90D.

I had a good time showing it and people definitely listened when I spoke about it.

I haven’t been to one since though. However, a Cybertruck there would be absolutely killer (at least until they become more common.).

Pre-Covid I regularly attended Cars and Coffee at Circuit of the Americas in Austin. It was a huge gathering and there would be anywhere from 10-20 Tesla's show up for each one. I enjoyed it a lot and had fun talking to people that had questions. I've done a couple of local shows in Canyon Lake and Wimberley as well. My Model S is always well received. Tesla's are still a bit uncommon in our tiny piece of Texas even with Austin being less than an hour north of us. There are plenty of people that know about them and have questions so I have a good time answering questions for people that are interested in learning more.

Attachments

• IMG_6829.jpeg
    IMG_6829.jpeg
    497.1 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: byeLT4 and David29