TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Any feedback on Hankook Ventus V12 evo2

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Super Gizmo, May 15, 2015.

1. Super Gizmo

Super Gizmo Member

I was thinking of trying the new Hankook Ventus evo2 on my P85 with 21" tires. My original Continental and replacement Michelin PSS wore out after about 15K miles each. Appreciate any feed back on these tires. They are significantly less than Contis and Michelins and Consumer Reports has given them a good rating.

2. bigdomer

bigdomer Member

Your pilot super sports only went 15k miles, too? That is disappointing. I was about to order those.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

4. Super Gizmo

Super Gizmo Member

It seems like it is typical for the inner edge of the tires to wear out prematurely on these cars. The SC has done several alignments and offset adjustments but nothing helps. So, I figured on getting the cheaper Hankooks if they are going to wear out prematurely anyway.

5. world101

world101 Member

I had the 19" evo (not evo2) on my 2006 G35 coupe and loved them. Great tire for the money.

6. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

7. Super Gizmo

Super Gizmo Member

Thanks for the input. I am going to try these tires.

8. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

How is the noise compared to the Conti's and the Michelin's?

9. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

My 19" Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 tires only got 15k miles. They're supposed to be 50k mile tires, 35k on some types of cars (regen). But 15k? Crap tires.

(Already have over 5k on Michelins installed by service center, and they're still at 8/32.

10. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I'm happy with mine on 21's. I've only got 1,500 mi on them so far. For my purposes, they handle just as well as the Michelins, on which I only got 9K on the rears. They are noticeably quieter than the Michelins.

11. capt601

capt601 Vin02324

That's a different tire than is being discussed. And I guessing you have major alignment issues if you only got 15k out of 19"s. And hankooks do last much longer. I was able to get 18k out of 2 hankooks but they were 21's which is much better than any of the tesla tires.

12. theheff

theheff Member

13. evolve

evolve Member

You have the staggered setup with the 245/35/21 on the front I presume. And no sensor issues? TC, ABS, tire pressure sensor? Tesla rep says you could have some. I have a p85D with the staggered and need to get new tires now but hate those michelins life.

14. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

It's funny you say it this way -- the standard tire for 21x8.5" rims on cars without the staggered setup is 245/35/21.

The difference on the staggered setup is larger tires and wheels on the rear -- 265/35/21s on 21x9" rims.

15. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

I bought the Hankook 21s a couple of months ago and have put on about 5,000 miles due to a road trip...I would say they are a little bit noisier than the original Continentals, and the ride is a little bit rougher. Including the $80 VISA card, I think I paid about $830 for the set of 4 out the door...Given the price vs. what it would have cost to replace with Continentals, I'm satisfied so far...

16. bigdomer

bigdomer Member

RandyS - I concur. I made the same decision and have about the same mileage on them. For folks considering be forewarned, you will give up some traction. These are not as sticky as the factory contis. I can break these loose just punching the accelerator from 45 or 50mph. P85.

17. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Update: Now at 5K and very happy with them. I've had two loaner P85+'s recently and I find the Hankooks to hook up much faster on full acceleration than the Michi's I had originally. I found that to be surprising, actually. They are much, much quieter than the Michi's, even after 5K. For fun, I expect I will try Conti Silents next. But I don't think you can beat the Hankooks for performance and value.

Thanks to HankLloydRight for recommending them to me.

18. aus

aus Member

If you're not staggard, PSS are suppose to have a 30,000 mile pro-rated warranty.
    If you are staggard, you only get 15,000 miles, which is still pretty good for a max performance tire.

19. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I can appreciate that these are different tires.

No, I didn't have major alignment issues and it was double- and triple-checked -- the service center is very familiar with alignment on my car since it was my car that found Hunter's major programming error for alignment of Model S (before I put the Hankooks on). Bottom line, the Ventus S1 noble2's sucked for treadwear. Michelins, on the same alignment, have already done 20k and have much of the tread left.

My offer of the 19" experience was simply to disclose that what Hankook said should get 35k-50k only got 15k on a properly aligned car, then they refused to even return my calls for warranty claims. I will never buy a Hankook tire again for this reason.

20. BlkCld

BlkCld Member

I ordered the 21" Hankooks EVO last week from discount tire direct through eBay that has a special sale of $100 off orders of $400+
    Price was $444 for 2 minus the $100 discount and PayPal cost was $344. Placed two orders totaling $688. Verified with Hankook still qualifies for set of 4 rebate from them to get another $80 back plus clicked through ebates to get to eBay and got another $18 cash back.
    Total cost after Hankook rebate $590 for 4 shipped to the door.
    Deal ends tomorrow 9/15/15.
    Couldnt pass it up as my contis on the rear only last 8000 miles.