Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any first hand experience with Tesla trade values with a low milage Tesla with extra purchased via the app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if Tesla adds any trade in value for things like FSD or acceleration boost. I know those can be added/removed by Tesla with a flip of a software switch, but I'm curious if they will factor those into the trade value at all. I have a 2020 Blue/White Model Y with FSD purchased via the app (back when it was $8k and about to move to $10k) and acceleration boost purchased via the app. About 9,000 miles on it and not a single mark on it (it has full body PPF, but I know Tesla doesn't value that a penny, just the car looks pristine).

Always wanted to move into a Performance Y without FSD and depending on trade values and WA sales tax reduction (because of the trade in) it might make sense to me if it was only like a $4 or $5k out of pocket.... especially now that MSM is a no cost color option and while I love white interior... I could live with the black to avoid dye transfer issues (I have none on my car, but it is a real risk at any time). Carvana is a joke at like $54k since they value FSD at zero bucks (makes sense since it doesn't transfer via a 3rd party dealer) and boost at zero bucks....

I don't think Tesla will even give me a trade quote unless I order a new car and then they only will close to delivery. I kinda of would be just keeping an eye out for inventory vehicles (I know they're SUPER rare, but occasionally one will show up for a couple hours) but I hate to jump on that if Tesla gives some low offer like $60k because they don't value FSD/Boost or something... brand new the car would be about $79k before the $1200 delivery fee and taxes of course. I don't expect a Tesla trade to be near new value... but I also don't see 9,000 miles knocking $20k off with how high Tesla is selling used cars at...

You are correct that Tesla will simply remove FSD , and probably acceleration boost as well, if you trade a vehicle in to them. I'm not sure why FSD would not transfer to a third party dealer...are you sure about that ?
From my understanding FSD only transfers from person to person sales, if it's sold to a dealer and then the dealer sells it, FSD doesn't follow along... or at least that's what I've gathered from the info here in the last year or so...

• Informative
Reactions: eeee-meeee
Do not expect your trade in value from Tesla to be based on anything besides the physical car they delivered. The only exception is that they might bump it up some if you upgraded your wheels with something else from Tesla, for ex. if you went from 19 Geminis to 21 Ubers. Other than that, they do not care about FSD, AB or any mods you might have done like PPF, ceramic, auto frunk, etc. Generally speaking you will not see any of those extras increase your trade in value from Tesla, they simply do not care. Heck they might not even want your vehicle unless it is returned to stock, meaning removal of any PPF, tint, auto frunk (if installed), etc. If you want to get some of that money back, you are better off selling it privately.

Not sure how it all washes out, but given the hot market for used and BEV right now, sell it privately and get top dollar. Order a new TMYP and perhaps it will be a wash in the end, or at least not too bad.

Reactions: Daekwan
Do not expect your trade in value from Tesla to be based on anything besides the physical car they delivered. The only exception is that they might bump it up some if you upgraded your wheels with something else from Tesla, for ex. if you went from 19 Geminis to 21 Ubers. Other than that, they do not care about FSD, AB or any mods you might have done like PPF, ceramic, auto frunk, etc. Generally speaking you will not see any of those extras increase your trade in value from Tesla, they simply do not care. Heck they might not even want your vehicle unless it is returned to stock, meaning removal of any PPF, tint, auto frunk (if installed), etc. If you want to get some of that money back, you are better off selling it privately.

Not sure how it all washes out, but given the hot market for used and BEV right now, sell it privately and get top dollar. Order a new TMYP and perhaps it will be a wash in the end, or at least not too bad.

I agree with most of this, with the exception that I dont know how tesla does or doesnt value the specific items of FSD or Acelleration boost. The rest, NO dealer (tesla included) cares about (Tint, PPF, Ceramic etc) ALL of that needs to be done because the owner wants it, not because they think it has some value on a used car (because it generally doesnt).

Reactions: WhiteWi
Ya, I don’t expect value out of PPF, except that the car literally looks show room new because it’s been protected.

I am curious about FSD/boost though… I see someone that got a quote on a car very similar except a Performance without FSD & it was $9k off today’s brand new price…

Now if they value FSD and boost at $0 I would be $10k out of pocket and $14k out at todays price… plus I was assuming about $9k off selling price for the base vehicle. That would be like a $56k trade offer… no way would that be worth it. This car sold new would be $79k… $23,000 drop after 9,000 miles… that would be a joke. I could see $10k off new in today’s market and ironically Tesla would sell it for almost new price and make $8k+ off it…

From my understanding FSD only transfers from person to person sales, if it's sold to a dealer and then the dealer sells it, FSD doesn't follow along... or at least that's what I've gathered from the info here in the last year or so...
No I’ve seen plenty of teslas for sale at dealers with FSD enabled. Once FSD is purchased for a car it stays unless Tesla removes it, which they have no reason/incentive to do so for sales outside their channels.

As for trade in values, Tesla definitely includes the price of FSD in determining your trade in value. I got a way higher offer on my Model X trade in from Tesla (like $10k more) than anyone else including carvana, givemethevin, carmax, kbb, etc. Likely because Tesla values FSD more than those guys.

No I’ve seen plenty of teslas for sale at dealers with FSD enabled. Once FSD is purchased for a car it stays unless Tesla removes it, which they have no reason/incentive to do so for sales outside their channels.

As for trade in values, Tesla definitely includes the price of FSD in determining your trade in value. I got a way higher offer on my Model X trade in from Tesla (like $10k more) than anyone else including carvana, givemethevin, carmax, kbb, etc. Likely because Tesla values FSD more than those guys.
I don’t think that’s why at all and it makes 0 sense. Maybe they can just extract a bigger premium than other parties by selling it direct.

There’s 0 incentive for them to pay for self driving at all. Why take your car when they could take any other with no FSD and turn it on for free if they wanted.

This is the biggest reason I didn’t get FSD on my car in order. It’s an option that doesn’t offer value on resale. Sure, I don’t currently plan to get rid of it but in 5-7 years I expect the market to look a whole lot different so who knows.

The value equation is messed up. I’d buy FSD if it followed me and not the car and they didn’t keep up the hardware or you had to pay.

I think the main point to note is that trade-in values from Tesla vary widely over time and location. How many used vehicles can they sell in the area, is the local reconditioning center (or the sales lot) backed up, that sort of thing. I suspect they may also vary depending on whether they think a high value (perhaps even higher than market value - no way to sell it and replace it with a different brand!) might get you to get a new Tesla. But if you already have a new one on order and then ask for a trade-in value, they may be incented to offer you less.

Over the years I have gotten some Tesla trade-in offers that were laughably low, and some that were surprisingly high, including one that was more than I could sell it for privately (at least once you include our state's sales tax waiver on trade-ins). I've had a very high valuation at first, lowered by many thousands later after I ordered a new car.

The most relevant to the OP: I've gotten offers at the same time for my car and my father's very similar car that differed mainly in that mine had autopilot and his didn't - and my offer was several thousand higher (far higher than could be accounted for by other minor differences in mileage and such). Of course that doesn't mean they will always do that.

Zach Kirkhorn (the Tesla CFO) said on an earnings call that yes, Tesla does give you value for FSD if you trade it in to them. As for it transferring - if the car ever passes through Tesla's hands (like a lease or auto auction), then more likely than not they will strip FSD from it upon resale. However, if you have FSD and sell it to a 3rd party (whether a person or dealer) then FSD stays. The key is "did it ever pass through Tesla's hands".

List your Model Y on Tred.

Take some good photos of your car, upload them to Tred's site, upload a description, and Tred will post your ad not only on their site, but on 11 other car selling sites!

You don't pay them a dime until and unless you see your car, so there's no risk other than your time.

It's a really hot market... you're not limited to only selling your car to Tesla.

My two cents.

That’s correct. I just got a really nice trade in offer from Tesla for my Model S 2020 raven with EAP. De sales advisor told me that the higher price included value of EAP.

That’s correct. I just got a really nice trade in offer from Tesla for my Model S 2020 raven with EAP. De sales advisor told me that the higher price included value of EAP.
They’re still only doing trade offers once you’re close to delivery right? I’ve debated swinging by a store to see what I can get from talking to a human… but I may also just wait till end of quarter and see if I catch any demos or unmatched Performance Y’s showing up in Seattle. Kinda sucks to maybe burn the $250 non-refundable order fee if I find out the trade value is like some stupid low $55k when brand new would be $77k.

Car has less than 10k miles on it still.

I would ideally like a red/white Performance Y, but I think puke probably go for “cheap” white/MSM with black interior if it made things possible… saving that sales tax saves like $6,000 lol

Exactly why my about to be delivered MY does not have FSD (plus I'm really not sure what good it is!). If I want it, I can rent it for $200 a month, and given I expect to trade it in 2 years I would probably come out way ahead dollar wise by spending the $200 rental rather than take the hit on a lowball offer (or a zero offer) on FSD when I do trade it.

My new PMY isn’t due until July - Sept but for fun I tendered my 2020 LR AWD Y with PB, GPS HomeLink and PPF with 19500 miles to CarGuru and they came back at $61,866. Far more than I was expecting, but for fun I tendered it to Tesla to see how close they can come and it’s been 8 days and it’s still pending. If the Tesla offer comes in over $56K I’ll probably take it because of the tax savings and the convenience of keeping it until I pick up the new one saving me the cost of trying to time and coordinate the sale of mine , renting a car in the interim since we only one one car.

Seems to me Tesla would pull a complete Service History to see what condition and OPTIONS the car currently has and take that into account. So you would think that Tesla added accessories would add value. CarGuru didn’t ask about such accessories.

More to follow when I receive Tesla’s offer. BTW that $61,866 offer is over $9K more than I paid for our 2020 LR AWD Y. The new PMY is priced at $69,440 and now I’m eligible for a $4K cash rebate IL just enacted. And FTR I have no interest in FSD given it’s current state and the fact it can be rented as needed.