Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any FPL customers post PTO with back-up switch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any FPL customers post PTO with back-up switch?

Nothing like being stuck in the middle.

Yesterday, FPL comes and installs net meter. The end is in sight. Yeah!!! It works perfectly.

FPL technician then notices the backup switch, ask what it is, I tell him and he says its not approved. He thought it was a surge protector. I'm like, what, you guys installed it back in August how could it not be approved. This same tech was here when it was installed. He makes a phone call, confirms it's not approved, removes the net meter and reinstalls the original meter (in the backup switch socket). I'm back to where I started the day.

Numerous phone calls to Tesla and FPL. Both are a complete PITA to contact. Tesla says its approved, FPL net metering head says Tesla is lying, that they told Tesla its not approved, and that the backup switch must be removed. FPL guy says nothing can be installed on the meter box. Its their rule. I'm like, what, the line diagram submitted with the net metering application, which is approved, shows the backup switch. The FPL guy say we don't look at that stuff, the process is all automated, bots, no one looks at that stuff!

Reading the net metering guidelines and Tesla equipment spec sheets, the Tesla equipment complies.

Am I the first person to run into the is problem?

To follow-up.

I put in a complaint to the Public Service Commission. FPL got back to me right away.

FPL said that the switch is against their standard. I asked what was the standard. The switch comforms to industry standard (UL etc) as required per the interconnection agreement and PSC rule. The standard was not known. Then I spoke to an engineer (supposedly) who said that standard is that nothing can be place on or in the meter box; the reason, safety.

Safety, of course, the device is unsafe. UL listing and IEEE certification and all, the device is unsafe. Why, you ask? The "engineer" said that lugs can break off in the meter can that can cause a short and electrocute someone. He said this is a very common problem that happens all the time. All the time - no freaking way. There are no moving parts. How does it break? He said when the meters are removed. Looking back, I could kind of see that. The FPL techs have the finesse of an angry gorilla when R/R the meter. I asked how the redesign is coming along. I told him there is no possible way that FPL risk management allows for a device that has a very common flaw that could kill someone! Morgan and Morgan would be on that like white on rice.

But there's more. No one can put anything on or in the meter can, no one except FPL. For $16 a month, you can get Surge Shield. An FPL whole house surge protector, that, you guessed it, plugs into the meter can exactly like the backup switch. Looking at pictures online, the surge shield device looks exactly like the backup switch. I can see how the tech thought the backup switch was surge shield. Other than the communication cable, the devices are nearly identical.

What BS! There is nothing wrong with the backup switch. I don't want another box hanging in my garage. I was days away from PTO. The finish line.

• Funny
Reactions: power.saver
Well, to be fair, it doesn't seem like FPL is listed as accepting the backup switch:
Electric Vehicle & Solar Incentives

Hopefully this changes, I just put in my order for my solar roof and have my site visit next month.
You must be a nice charitable person. This can't be said for FPL, or any monopoly, let alone utility.

I asked them why. They initially said it was safety. That the BS could damage the inside of the meter leading to a short that could electrocute someone. They said it happens all the time. When I ask for a safety report to document this, the story changed back to we told Tesla its against our Electrical Service Standards, that why. I had the temerity to read those standards. The FPL ESS calls for the standard to change when they become "obsolete" and in response to "emerging technology." I asked them what was the process to change the ESS, to update it to this emerging technology. That when they basically when into a loop of we told Tesla, talk to Tesla, ask Tesla, we told Tesla, talk to Tesla.

But there's more. The electric meter plugs into the meter can via a NEMA 3R plug. It's nice. People have designed accessories to utilize this plug. The BS is just one. FPL has its Surge Shield (surge protector) and Surge Shield Plus (surge plus pug for a backup generator) product at you can rent for a low monthly payment. These items and nearly identical to the backup switch. These items are allowed because they are FPL items.

EVERYONE needs to give their public utility hell over this. Do not give up. This is utter BS and must change.

BS took 5-min to install and doesn't take up space in my garage. Same can't be said for the Gateway.

A win for FPL. I put in a complaint to the Public Service Commission. I'm waiting for a reply from the PSC. I expect this goes no where, but at least it's documented and public record.

Tesla has completed the redesign for the gateway are are working to schedule FPL so they can remove the backup switch and install the Gateway. I was told late February due to FPL scheduling, but Tesla is trying to get it moved up.

Anyone in similar circumstances, DO NOT GIVE UP! Complain to the regulators and to your legislatures. More complaints like this are needed to highlight how the utilities in Florida do not "promote" roof top solar as required by law.