Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any good examples of Tesla Wall Connector installed between garage doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a wall connector installed between 2 garage doors? My parents are buying a Model Y and I dont know if this is a viable option but it seems like a really good spot for installing one at parents place. It would make it really easy for them to charge the Tesla because they would drive straight in. The charge port would be so close to the wall connector. How much room would we need to get this done?

Does anyone have a wall connector installed between 2 garage doors? My parents are buying a Model Y and I dont know if this is a viable option but it seems like a really good spot for installing one at parents place. It would make it really easy for them to charge the Tesla because they would drive straight in. The charge port would be so close to the wall connector. How much room would we need to get this done?

I have a 2 door garage (1 small door, 1 standard 2 car door) fitting 3 cars. I installed my wall connector between the 2 garage doors to reach all cars (I have only 2 Tesla cars but I think it can reach all 3 if I have 3). The thing is, I got version 2 that has a longer length (25 feet) than the current version 3 (18 feet). My 2 Tesla cars always reverse back in and their fronts are facing the doors/front ready to drive head out to the street. I think the new version cable length is too short to allow my cars to reverse back in. I will have to park head in for the new shorter cable to reach. I would hate head in parking very much.

Last edited:
Here you go. As you can see I installed side ‘wings’ to contain the cord and keep it away from the tracks. The box above it the emergency shutoff switch. Required if the fuse panel is not in the garage:

CB5832A2-4A05-4647-9E24-19206DFEBF50.jpeg9AE85380-BA51-4E1A-9CAD-FECA26EAAC06.jpeg

We have had two chargers set up in our last three homes.

Two houses ago, we had the "center" charger mounted on the center support post in the garage.

In our last house, we had one charger on each wall, and one on side ran the 25' cord up the wall, suspended from the ceiling by large vinyl-covered hooks, and it hung down in just the right spot by the car's charging port. (We also had a hook on the wall between the garage doors, so we could store it out of the way when not charging).

But in this house, we put one charger between the garage doors, like so. We've been using this for over two years with no issues. (We had no issues with the other two setups, either).

IMG_20190124_074641.jpg

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. What did you use as wings?

I used readily available 1” x 6” lumber for the wings. I attached a piece of rectangular strapping running down one edge of the 1 x 6 with screws to give me a way to screw it to the wood frame that secures the door track. Had to leave gaps where the track attaches. Here’s a couple of closeups:

5347580C-60E8-4736-968D-7B0C98F0B67E.jpegD792F467-E0AA-4037-8B2D-817F5F9E82CA.jpegAB4FE135-9DE6-4E84-A824-D222961F7662.jpeg60078550-4292-4A6B-9BE0-0A689A86E09C.jpeg

Here you go. As you can see I installed side ‘wings’ to contain the cord and keep it away from the tracks. The box above it the emergency shutoff switch. Required if the fuse panel is not in the garage:

View attachment 643728View attachment 643729
This looks exactly like what I need in my garage. I have about 16" between the door rails (~40cm). How much room do you have between your door rails?

This looks exactly like what I need in my garage. I have about 16" between the door rails (~40cm). How much room do you have between your door rails?

I have exactly 17 1/2” between the rails and 15 1/2” between the side wings I built. However I have the earlier Tesla wall connector that has the thicker, less compliant cable capable of 80 amps.

The newer wall connectors have the thinner, more compliant cable capable of 48 amps. It will require less room side to side than mine so you should be fine.

I have exactly 17 1/2” between the rails and 15 1/2” between the side wings I built. However I have the earlier Tesla wall connector that has the thicker, less compliant cable capable of 80 amps.

The newer wall connectors have the thinner, more compliant cable capable of 48 amps. It will require less room side to side than mine so you should be fine.
Beautiful install. I only have 12” between the garage door rails. I don’t think that will be enough.

78E2842F-E055-4FA2-96F5-8BD22834CECE.jpeg

View attachment 643728View attachment 643729
This look nice. Can you please tell me how wide is that space between the 2 tracks of the garage doors? I have 12" of space between my garage doors tracks and wonder if that's sufficient. Also, can you please elaborate on the 'wings' you used? I'd like to do the same. Thx.