Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any good "teardowns" or articles discussing the battery modules (not cells or the overall pack)?

I'm wondering if anyone has any good information, either articles or videos, of the construction of Tesla's battery modules? I see lots of info on the individual cells, and on the overall pack construction. But details of the individual modules, dealing with things like the electrical contacts, a good look at the cooling system, the structure and the conduction pathways, as well as fire/runaway protection are hard to find. Most videos I've seen are people destroying all this engineering to salvage the individual cells. I'm specifically looking for any discussion of the cooling method and efficiencies, and how the microchannel extrusion design has changed over various pack generations. I've seen a couple different approaches, one using a single serpentine microchannel tube for the entire module, another using a number of microchannel tubes connected by hoses, providing parallel cooling. Also curious to see any discussion of a brazed heat exchanger providing end cooling and guiding/positioning features for the individual cells.

Related question, has anyone seen any discussion of utilizing direct contact liquid cooling, using an electronic cooling fluid (such as 3Ms Fluorinert) https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/data-ce...ersion-cooling/fluorinert-electronic-liquids/ to cool the batteries? It of course requires a sealed, slightly pressurized module, adding it's own set of complexities.

Thanks for any input.

Check Sandy Munro - YouTube munrolive and web site leandesign.com
Thanks-his are some that I have watched, unfortunately they have been pretty light on design detail/engineering content. But they did show the most I've seen concerning the plumbing of the microchannel tubes. I should have mentioned him in my OP, looking for something a little more in-depth.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC