Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any good "teardowns" or articles discussing the battery modules (not cells or the overall pack)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if anyone has any good information, either articles or videos, of the construction of Tesla's battery modules? I see lots of info on the individual cells, and on the overall pack construction. But details of the individual modules, dealing with things like the electrical contacts, a good look at the cooling system, the structure and the conduction pathways, as well as fire/runaway protection are hard to find. Most videos I've seen are people destroying all this engineering to salvage the individual cells. I'm specifically looking for any discussion of the cooling method and efficiencies, and how the microchannel extrusion design has changed over various pack generations. I've seen a couple different approaches, one using a single serpentine microchannel tube for the entire module, another using a number of microchannel tubes connected by hoses, providing parallel cooling. Also curious to see any discussion of a brazed heat exchanger providing end cooling and guiding/positioning features for the individual cells.

Related question, has anyone seen any discussion of utilizing direct contact liquid cooling, using an electronic cooling fluid (such as 3Ms Fluorinert) https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/data-ce...ersion-cooling/fluorinert-electronic-liquids/ to cool the batteries? It of course requires a sealed, slightly pressurized module, adding it's own set of complexities.

Thanks for any input.