Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any great new tire choices to replace OEM 20”?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 20” Conti OEMs are wearing badly. Last time I checked 18 months ago it seemed replacing with OEMs was way to go. I have another winter set so really looking for a solid summer tire that can handle the weight for towing.

I hear tire manufacturers have been releasing new low rolling resistance tires over the last year. Anybody suggestions on alternatives to Conti to try? Comfort, efficiency and noise key for me. Thx

My 20” Conti OEMs are wearing badly. Last time I checked 18 months ago it seemed replacing with OEMs was way to go. I have another winter set so really looking for a solid summer tire that can handle the weight for towing.

I hear tire manufacturers have been releasing new low rolling resistance tires over the last year. Anybody suggestions on alternatives to Conti to try? Comfort, efficiency and noise key for me. Thx
Good Year's Asymetric 3's T0 with sound dampening foam- Im installing these summer tires to a set of wheels I have. They have great reviews and compare closely to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s's. They advertise low rolling resistance as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: JBT66 and scottf200
Buying Pirellis is like buying mattresses.. so confusing with the alphabet soup of models. Based on what i can tell the Verde is the all season eco tire that most people are preferring above the OEM Conti's that also has better tread life.

Last edited:
Have you owned a set of dedicated snows before? I'm thinking about next year and am debating between a set of something like the G4 or a going to the Hakkas.

Not on the X - haven't had a set of dedicated snow tires in a long time. But the G4s were tremendous all winter. Didn't have deep snow here - maybe 4" at a time - but they've been tremendous since I put them on. Zero complaints here.

I have been running the Pirrelli Scorpion AS +3 since last November and think they are as good or better than the Conti's that came with the car.

They said they had a 70k warranty but I am sure my X with it's terrible camber will eat those up in under 40k. Only got 25k from the Contis last time.

Reactions: Hoosierdaddi
CrossClimate 2 for sure, I'm just waiting for TireRack to start selling them
I have 2k mikes on a set of cross climate SUV. can’t say how they will wear or anything about rolling resistance but I like them so far.

Rated for great wet traction and triple peak snow flake. Will only warranty for 20k due to asymmetrical front rear sizes if you read the fine print. Not a sorry sporty tire but great all season.

Evan

Last edited:
Reactions: bhzmark and StanMI

I have been running the Pirrelli Scorpion AS +3 since last November and think they are as good or better than the Conti's that came with the car.

They said they had a 70k warranty but I am sure my X with it's terrible camber will eat those up in under 40k. Only got 25k from the Contis last time.

I want to replace my tires before a very long road trip this summer. My car performs very well on the OEM in regards to Wh/mile and Chicagoland weather.
I got 34K on my 1st set and have 30K so far on my 2nd set.

What seems to be regularly missing in all the conversations about tire replacement is the efficiency (Wh/mile).
Can anyone speak to that?
Below is a list of tires I'm tracking but unless I can get close to the same efficiency I'm not sure why I would change on my X (that wears the OEMs well in all regards).

7XV15Pl.jpg

I want to replace my tires before a very long road trip this summer. My car performs very well on the OEM in regards to Wh/mile and Chicagoland weather.
I got 34K on my 1st set and have 30K so far on my 2nd set.

What seems to be regularly missing in all the conversations about tire replacement is the efficiency (Wh/mile).
Can anyone speak to that?
Below is a list of tires I'm tracking but unless I can get close to the same efficiency I'm not sure why I would change on my X (that wears the OEMs well in all regards).

7XV15Pl.jpg
It’s probably missing because efficiency is generally a lower priority for MX owners. Driving style, AC use, tire pressure are likely to effect efficiency just as much as tire design. Wet traction with decent tread life are my two most important factors. At 0.12$ per kWh my cost is about 60$ per 1000 miles. So if a tire gets 10% better mileage I’m saving 6$ per 1k miles. Call it 125$ per set of tires. Or 10% of the cost of a new set of tires. Really good wet traction is worth that 10% premium. As would be 10% better tread life.

Just my thoughts.

Reactions: X-pilot and bhzmark
It’s probably missing because efficiency is generally a lower priority for MX owners. Driving style, AC use, tire pressure are likely to effect efficiency just as much as tire design. Wet traction with decent tread life are my two most important factors. At 0.12$ per kWh my cost is about 60$ per 1000 miles. So if a tire gets 10% better mileage I’m saving 6$ per 1k miles. Call it 125$ per set of tires. Or 10% of the cost of a new set of tires. Really good wet traction is worth that 10% premium. As would be 10% better tread life.

Just my thoughts.
Thanks. I mostly see your point but I do a lot of road trips in our Model X so highway driving cruising at 75 mph with 45-50 PSI depending on temps. So that part is consistent.

I have seen/read some pretty big differences in Wh/mile (ie. 380+ vs 340) and there is a lot of effort in making "fuel efficient" tires for regular cars/cuv.

On TireRack you can search for efficiency as well: ie. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=20&performance=ALL

Have you owned a set of dedicated snows before? I'm thinking about next year and am debating between a set of something like the G4 or a going to the Hakkas.

I have the Hakka's on 19" square wheels for winter. Born and raised in MN, and this was the first winter I've ever had dedicated snow tires.

They handled outstanding! The small trade-off is that they're a little noisier in dry conditions than the Pilot Sport 4's that came on the staggered 20's from the previous owner, which I'll run until they're dead and at least look for a proper all-weather/season so I can extend the usable life of the Hakka's.

Back in November, I bought a set of Nokian WR G4 tires. I've been VERY happy with them. I've been burned/disappointed with many tires in the past, and swore to myself I'd never stray from Micheline again. But after researching these tires, it appeared they were designed specifically for the Model X in northern latitudes. Nokian (a Finland company) designed these for electric cars (low rolling resistance) being driven in snow/ice conditions, but the formulation allows for year-round use. Perfect for my location in northern Oregon. I also had Tesla adjust my suspension for always running in "Low" setting, so reduce the camber and hopefully extend the life of these tires.

I paid $1076 for the set from Discount Tire, including mounting and balancing. One thing I've noticed is that, on cold mornings, the tires have a "flat spot" when parked overnight. I can feel this for about the first mile of driving, then they're perfect.

Reactions: JPWX
I bought a set of Hakka R3 mostly for winter driving in BC but haven’t done that with covid etc. In the Seattle area we don’t get the temps or snows these are made for so I don’t know about keeping them. I picked up a set of nos WRG3 and I think in this climate they are more suitable in spring and fall than the R3, and they are excellent in snow the few times we get it.

CrossClimate 2 for sure, I'm just waiting for TireRack to start selling them
Just ordered these tonight from TireRack. Submitted $70 online Visa promo.
When you purchase a set of four new MICHELIN® passenger or light truck tires you may be eligible to receive a $70 Visa® Reward Card¹ or Visa® Virtual Account² after online submission. Offer valid on tires purchased from Tire Rack's in-stock inventory between 12:00 a.m. EDT May 18, 2022 and 11:59 p.m. EDT June 6, 2022.

UTQG: 640 B A (rear -- front pending)

9LlFsbf.jpg