TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Any Guesses for 7.1?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by csr19us, Oct 12, 2015.

1. csr19us

csr19us Member

I know everyone's anxious for v7 this week (including myself); but I've recently been wondering what exactly Elon meant by a more comprehensive UI update in v7.1.

I'm wondering if it will be more focused on "apps" and even perhaps themes?!

As for apps, I'll note the new tire-pressure, energy usage, and clock "apps."

As for the huge "love it or hate it" division over the flat UI design, I also wonder how much longer we'll have to wait for theming support.

2. McMuggets

McMuggets Member

I am assuming that in releasing 7.0, Tesla is also going to gauge what people say about the new UI. This will affect what they do with 7.1, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "classic dash mode" enabled so that those who want the older 6.2 look will indeed have it.

3. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I'm hoping the nav, trip planner, and media controls are more of a focus in 7.1.

4. csr19us

csr19us Member

Me, too.
    This is kind of what led me to wonder about the whole idea of "themes."
    Unless I'm crazy, I also think I read somewhere a while back about Elon/Tesla mentioning something about themes "eventually."

5. MikeS85D

MikeS85D Member

I doubt they would do a classic mode. It would double (or at least increase) their requirements for testing, regulatory qualification in various countries, etc.

Microsoft allowed me to switch Windows 2000 back to looking like Windows 95, but I think Tesla is more of a full steam ahead and don't look back kind of a company than Microsoft.

6. ethune

ethune Member

I think what people are missing here is that the new UI is much more amenable to the mass public and would likely get more people to buy the car. When you first drive the tesla, the speedometer with everything it has going on is very intimidating. Most early adopters are techies and understand whats going on but the majority of people would have no clue nor would they want to. Its the same as apple having a simple UI which drives adoption with older people. How many 70 yr olds do you see with android phones? Almost zero. I agree they want to have a mode for people who want the info, but this move is about getting more average people to buy the car than techies. All people would really want to know is when do I need to recharge.

7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I will really miss the power meter. I use the regen portion all the time. And the date/time on the IP. I think the clock is an absurd waste of valuable real estate. I'm looking forward to the AP scene of surrounding cars.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Me too. Definitely need attention.

9. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

#9 S4WRXTTCS, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    I'm a little confused. My understanding is they moved the power meter from the center screen to the energy screen which can be on the right or left screen. I figure they wanted to make room in the center, and that was something that could be combined with the energy meter.

I'm not concerned about it being moved if it offers the same functionality.

Personally I'd like to see a combination of wind speed, temp, power meter all within the energy display.

My biggest harp on V7 is the flat design. It's a bit icky, but I'm sure it will look a bit better in V7.1

In terms of things needing improvement my vote is the trip planner. I can't even remember a time in which I used something so incredibly buggy.

10. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

Many of us are very concerned about it being moved. It now uses up a side panel whereas it didn't before. I already shuffle things too much in the side panels depending on what I'm doing (nav, media, phone, trip meters, energy display), and now I have even more information in the side panels that I have to shuffle in order to get the information I want. We need to be doing less shuffling, not more.

And, by the way, it's not the same functionality either. The 6.2 power meter is logarithmic. Tiny amounts of power as low as 2 kW are visible on that meter -- you can see the difference when your A/C fans or seat heaters have come on. The new power meter in 7.0 is linear -- you can no longer see small amounts of power at all.

And don't reply with a "why is this important to you" question. I do not need to justify to anyone why it's important. I use it constantly when driving the car -- that's all anyone needs to know.

11. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

I hope that we get a proper multi band equaliser (>3) in the Media app as well as fixing the indexing so that it recognises more characters in track names and also indexes properly and finally recognises compilation albums

12. TES-E

TES-E Member

Tesla touts the car as a performance car... even the basic S85 can out accelerate most other cars. How many other Performance cars do you know of that do not have full instrumentation, not just a speedometer and a gas guage?

13. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I'm not concerned with why a feature is important as much as I'm concerned with what changed and why. Why did it change to linear? I fail to understand how a linear power meter would be more ideal than a logarithmic one. I've used the power meter to play around with how much something uses (AC, heater, lights, etc).

14. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

And gapless playback while they're at it.

15. RDoc

RDoc S85D

How about a bold foray into the future of media players and add playlists?

16. MikeS85D

MikeS85D Member

YES!

How am I supposed to trust a car to drive by itself when it can't even play Dark Side of the Moon from start to finish properly?

17. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

and random play...

18. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Shuffle is there now. Did you mean something different?

Or is this a comment on their random number generator not being random enough?

19. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

yes, too many repeats

20. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

7.0 isn't even out yet, and we have a thread about 7.1... and I though *I* was a little impatient. :p