Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any guesses on when the Model 3 hitch will be available in US.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the weekend I was about to order a Model 3 when I read that the hitch is available in the Europe. I'd really like this option, but I'm also racing the clock against the July 1 tax increase. I know there's always the after-market option, but if it's possible, I'd much prefer the manufacturer's hitch.

Does anyone have any theories on how long it will be until we see this in the US? Have there been other country/continent first options like this in the past?

Reactions: Tron 3
7BF4C9BC-69A9-4492-BD01-5AA65CDE8EE2.jpeg
Over the weekend I was about to order a Model 3 when I read that the hitch is available in the Europe. I'd really like this option, but I'm also racing the clock against the July 1 tax increase. I know there's always the after-market option, but if it's possible, I'd much prefer the manufacturer's hitch.

Does anyone have any theories on how long it will be until we see this in the US? Have there been other country/continent first options like this in the past?

I wouldn’t hope my breath. Tesla has bigger fish to fry, so a niche accessory for the 3 is probably pretty low on their list of things that will get the company in the black.

My suggestion is to go for it. I put a Stealthitch on my M3. It is a great product, and I am having a blast.

Aftermarket hitch from etrailer. Cheaper than Tesla, easy to install, full range from my P3D is 165 miles at 75mph, expect to cut range about in half. From my research it seams to be the typical cut. In the picture it was 6 in the morning and the 8 slots were all empty. If it's a busy time I unhook the trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_20190511_065956.jpg
    IMG_20190511_065956.jpg
    603.4 KB · Views: 545
Aftermarket hitch from etrailer. Cheaper than Tesla, easy to install, full range from my P3D is 165 miles at 75mph, expect to cut range about in half. From my research it seams to be the typical cut. In the picture it was 6 in the morning and the 8 slots were all empty. If it's a busy time I unhook the trailer.
Your range is cut in half with your track trailer? That’s some serious drag penalty. How wide is it?

My suggestion is to go for it. I put a Stealth hitch on my M3. It is a great product, and I am having a blast.

7bf4c9bc-69a9-4492-bd01-5aa65cde8ee2-jpeg.408290
I love your teardrop trailer, it looks very kool!

I have seen on YouTube several installations of a hitch on a model S or Model 3.
It seems that the hitch would be used to install a bicycle carrier or so because they don't show any wiring.

So, would you mind describing how you did the wiring?
- Did you split the cables or use a wiring sensors kit? If so, where did you get the 12 V power from?
- What kind of plug did you use to connect your trailer, and where did you attached the socket to your car?

- What kind of lightning do you use inside the trailer?
- Do you have a battery inside the trailer or do you tap the power from your car?

I read that the OEM hitch had to be installed during the car's assembly

"According to the configurator, Tesla cannot retrofit Model 3 vehicles with a tow hitch. It needs to be custom ordered."

https://electrek.co/2019/05/08/tesla-model-3-tow-hitch/

Allegedly that's due to some EU regulation that basically forbids certain OEM parts from being added if they're not sold originally on the car

Tesla releases Model 3 tow hitch for European markets

Members of the r/TeslaMotors subreddit who are from Europe state that the current no-retrofit rule for the Model 3’s tow hitch might be due to regulations in the region.

• Informative
Reactions: Msjulie
I *really* want to do a hitch and tent trailer or a motorcycle trailer for track days but I’m worried about the insurance implications if there’s a collision while I’m towing with a vehicle not rated for such use.

Have any of you addressed this or just hoping for the best?

Last edited:
Even a tear drop trailer causes drag. The faster you go the more the drag. Yes, it's not quite the same as 4 wheels and a box, but there is still significant drag.
I’m familiar with drag. A teardrop trailer is much larger than the trailer pictured. Drag is a function of the combined vehicle, specifically the tow vehicle wake influences the additional drag of the trailer, which is why I asked about the small trailer.

Your range is cut in half with your track trailer? That’s some serious drag penalty. How wide is it?
It's more narrow than the car, you can't even see it with the side mirrors. I did an experiment to see if I could reduce drag but wasn't worth it. Only saved 4 wh/m. The manufacturer of the trailer, Leroy, is going to put it in an aero program to gather some more information.

Attachments

• IMG_20190508_110347.jpg
    IMG_20190508_110347.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 444
  • Informative
Reactions: Zoomit
It's more narrow than the car, you can't even see it with the side mirrors. I did an experiment to see if I could reduce drag but wasn't worth it. Only saved 4 wh/m. The manufacturer of the trailer, Leroy, is going to put it in an aero program to gather some more information.
So far our thought is that it would take a huge spoiler in order to make a difference due to the dirty air behind the 3.
That's a valiant effort with the cardboard! I'm not surprised it didn't change the drag much as it slightly increased the base area by squaring off more of the back. Still it was worth the try though.

How many times have you towed it? Have you experienced the same range hit in different wind conditions? Any trailer that would otherwise be hiding in the tow vehicle wake is susceptible to cross winds increasing the drag.

I'm not sure what you mean about a spoiler. Are you talking about putting a spoiler on the 3 to minimize the drag hit from the trailer?

I installed an eTrailer hitch on my Outback and need to do this to my Model 3 ASAP. I use it almost exclusively for a bike rack. I'l be moving my son off to college and taking a 1000 mile road trip to do so.

Although it won't be as bad as a trailer, I'm sure it will be non-trivial. I suppose the first couple of super charger stops I should stop sooner after I realize what my true range will be.

That's a valiant effort with the cardboard! I'm not surprised it didn't change the drag much as it slightly increased the base area by squaring off more of the back. Still it was worth the try though.

How many times have you towed it? Have you experienced the same range hit in different wind conditions? Any trailer that would otherwise be hiding in the tow vehicle wake is susceptible to cross winds increasing the drag.

I'm not sure what you mean about a spoiler. Are you talking about putting a spoiler on the 3 to minimize the drag hit from the trailer?

Several times, once from DC to NJ and once from DC to Summit Point. Also twice for the test. It did better going to Summit Point because there is a lot of time off the highway. DC to NJ use was 400, DC to SP was 375.

Bigger spoiler on the model 3 to push the air up and away from the trailer. My goal with the cardboard was to keep the air off of the box. I also closed off the floor to keep air from coming up from underneath.

If anyone has any other ideas I'm game to try it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190508_110401.jpg
    IMG_20190508_110401.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 451