Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any guesses when MX 75D, 5 Seat, Coil...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guessing my MX 5 seater with coil suspension will go into production sometime between Oct thru December.

It seems that the above configuration is not that common, maybe only 5 to 7 percent total orders.

Anyone have a better guess on production time line (5 seater with coil suspension)?

I have one on order, and expect it to not arrive till late in the year.

If this is the case, I will want to delay it till the 2017 model year, to not incure a full years depreciation (the most expensive thing about a Tesla) in just a month or so.

Does Tesla have a policy about delaying delivery till the next model year?

They have upgraded as many coils to SAS as possible, with the promise of early deliveries. They are now upgrading 5 seat to 6 or 7 seats, with the promise of early delivery. Soon they will have to make our cars. It is good news they are delivering the 75D. When I confirmed in April the design studio said "5 seats mid year". Now it says "new orders, 5 seats late". I am holding out hope that those of us who ordered under the "mid-year" promise will get VINs late July and cars in September.

We shall see... Nice to see a thread for 5 seat, coil folks to commiserate.

Last edited:
We ordered the same configuration two months ago. At that time we were promised June/July delivery. After continued delays without an end in site, just yesterday we changed the configuration to a 6 seater with air suspension. Also, after a recent test drive of a 6 seater, we ended up really liking the 6 seat configuration and grew concerned of potential rear visibility issues of a 5 seater. Added cost though...

We ordered the same configuration two months ago. At that time we were promised June/July delivery. After continued delays without an end in site, just yesterday we changed the configuration to a 6 seater with air suspension. Also, after a recent test drive of a 6 seater, we ended up really liking the 6 seat configuration and grew concerned of potential rear visibility issues of a 5 seater. Added cost though...
We made the same decision after sitting in a 7 seat unit and unless you are short you cannot sit in the middle of the 2nd row or your head hits the main structure that the fwd are attached to. Also very little visibility thru to the rear window.

We made the same decision after sitting in a 7 seat unit and unless you are short you cannot sit in the middle of the 2nd row or your head hits the main structure that the fwd are attached to. Also very little visibility thru to the rear window.

Thanks, that makes me feel better about my expensive change. A bit strange with a car with so much thought put into the design, usability and safety that rear visibility is so limited. Perhaps future versions will have a folding second row seat and larger rear view mirror.

I'm currently having second thoughts about the 5 Seater's second row of seats not folding down flat the way they do on the Model S.

So, I'm now in negotiations with Tesla to convert my order and $2,500 deposit to a Model S Order. Tesla said they will get back to me on Monday.

I'm currently having second thoughts about the 5 Seater's second row of seats not folding down flat the way they do on the Model S.

So, I'm now in negotiations with Tesla to convert my order and $2,500 deposit to a Model S Order. Tesla said they will get back to me on Monday.

But if you switch to a Model S you will have to manually open and close your door to drive. That might be too physically demanding ;)

Don't Model Years usually change in September? Definitely something to consider, if not planning to keep for 8 to 10 years, then passing down to children or grandchildren.
Not sure Tesla even uses Model Years, but date of manufacture.

Indeed, no model years. Date of manufacture year is used for the Model Year field on forms for the state DMV and Insurance and such.

So depreciation could be a factor if you aren't keeping the car for the long haul.

When I spoke to corporate to upgrade 5 to 6 seater they were quite logical with me asking why I wanted 5 seat config, to which I went on about storage capability. They said keep the 3rd row perpetually down and i would have exact same config in the 7 seat style. In other words you will be surprised that your storage will not be much different between a folded 3rd row (7seat) versus missing 3rd row(5 seat). That's why I ditched my plans to holdout for a 5 seater and upgraded to 6 seater. I will have a very large 4 seat vehicle with the last row always folded.

• Informative
Reactions: beths11
When I spoke to corporate to upgrade 5 to 6 seater they were quite logical with me asking why I wanted 5 seat config, to which I went on about storage capability. They said keep the 3rd row perpetually down and i would have exact same config in the 7 seat style. In other words you will be surprised that your storage will not be much different between a folded 3rd row (7seat) versus missing 3rd row(5 seat). That's why I ditched my plans to holdout for a 5 seater and upgraded to 6 seater. I will have a very large 4 seat vehicle with the last row always folded.
My thinking as well. Since the 2nd row does not fold and with the 6 seat configuration you also have the middle available from the back all the way to the front center consol.

Too bad a four seat configuration is not available. No third row, second row configured as 6 seat version.

@Vic4Model3 I think your decision to go to a Model S is a good one. If I didn't dislike a sedan so much I would too. Better mileage, lower cost, greater storage flexibility and, at least if not the same, more cargo space, and car top carrier support.

@Vic4Model3 If you upgrade to 6 or 7 seats you will also have to add SAS. No coils for 6 or 7 seats.

To Summarize:
Tesla shows prototype SUV/CUV with lots of storage, all seats fold.
Tesla produces SUV/CUV with 2nd row seats which don't fold.
Many orders not confirmed. Model 75s start production earlier than expected.
Tesla changes the requirement for 75D 6 or 7 seats to have SAS, many people upgrade to SAS from coils for quicker delivery. Tesla provides SAS at discount.
Tesla tells those who write/call "The 5 seat version really won't have more space. You are better off to upgrade to 6 or 7 seat, and you will get your car earlier." I believe the top portion of the third row, folded down, creates a very uneven floor surface, that should be gone with the 5 seat.

If I was told the last statement by a high ranking Exec. at Tesla, causing me to change a 5 seat configuration to a 6 or 7 seat and upgrade to SAS, and then Tesla comes out with a folding second seat I would be livid. Sorry what I want is what I ordered, Suv/Cuv with 5 seats on coils and by the way when it was promised when I ordered "Mid-year 2016". Let's have a bit more transparency with ALL 5 seat, coil confirmed orders. Last note from my DS still telling me by September.

I'm not changing my order, folding second row please.;)

Discloser: I am long on Tesla and believe in the product, the mission and the company.

Reactions: Scoopup
I too am looking long on TSLA with the shares to prove that. I would be quite angry if 5 seats rolled out within 2 months of my conversion/upgrade. As I see it there is no way to expect a flat floor with the third row absent for you must account for the hump for there motors. Went to store today and closely looked at the third row folded. You certainly would get the few inches created but the thickness of the 3rd seat back but not much more. All in all I'm happy that I opted for the upgrade without the extra 500$. I'm getting the car off my dreams. I'm happy and excited. Now working there details like NEMA 14-50 install!

Reactions: beths11
I too am looking long on TSLA with the shares to prove that. I would be quite angry if 5 seats rolled out within 2 months of my conversion/upgrade. As I see it there is no way to expect a flat floor with the third row absent for you must account for the hump for there motors. Went to store today and closely looked at the third row folded. You certainly would get the few inches created but the thickness of the 3rd seat back but not much more. All in all I'm happy that I opted for the upgrade without the extra 500$. I'm getting the car off my dreams. I'm happy and excited. Now working there details like NEMA 14-50 install!
I look forward to your delivery and pictures of a happy Tesla owner with their new car. :D