Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any hack to remove the autopilot nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to be clear I always have my hands on the wheel, but I believe the sensor on my car is defective. I ALWAYS get the nag, not only me but my wife and anyone who drives the car. The only way to remove it is to aggressively wiggle the sheering wheel, which often is enough to disable AP, or adjust the volume. Before v10 the nag was around once a minute, now it’s literally every 10 seconds.

Any hack to remove it? People said that an orange wedged in the steering wheel worked for the model S but not the model 3.

Just to be clear I always have my hands on the wheel, but I believe the sensor on my car is defective. I ALWAYS get the nag, not only me but my wife and anyone who drives the car. The only way to remove it is to aggressively wiggle the sheering wheel, which often is enough to disable AP, or adjust the volume. Before v10 the nag was around once a minute, now it’s literally every 10 seconds.

Any hack to remove it? People said that an orange wedged in the steering wheel worked for the model S but not the model 3.

where do you keep your hand(s) on the wheel. I’ve had good luck resting just my right hand on the bottom right of the steering wheel.

It's dangerous to "hack it" even if it's broken, because you'll have no incentive to get it fixed or change your driving habits.
Mine hardly ever nags and I don't feel I'm trying hard. Only when I'm really sloppy like one hand at the top of the wheel or or the bottom it might nag. But one or two handles around 8-10 O'Clock and/or 2-4 O'Clock work fine.

Oh and my Model X has a much lighter force to break it out of AutoSteer than my Model 3 did. But I'm no where near that force to avoid the nag. Might be because the Model X wheel is larger and the 3.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Im quite far from a SC and my mobile service is missing a tech so they are really backed up. I figure I will get them to look at it when my car goes in to have HW3 installed. I’m waiting until my 2 year service in a few months so I can get everything done at once.

My Model 3 has a tight wheel and sensor as well. I have to hold one hand at the 3 or 4 o’clock position and actively pull down on the wheel very slightly all the time. It can be tiring on road trips. I tried to get service to fix it, but they said they couldn’t adjust that sensor, so I will be interested to hear if you have any luck. I have just gotten used to it over time.

Everyone that drives your car, huh? You don't think yours is different than the rest of us? Any one else annoyed by the nag could also use the hack you are given. You and I live a few miles apart so I don't think we will bump into each other on the road soon. Anyway, I don't want to help you bypass a current safety feature on the car because it contributes to your car being less responsive to other traffic. So, even if I had a help or hint - ah - no. And frankly, not sorry I could not help this time. But best to you.

Yeah, I could have just said, No. But this opinion is meant 99% less directed to you and 99% more so to those folks that are not thinking this through.

where do you keep your hand(s) on the wheel. I’ve had good luck resting just my right hand on the bottom right of the steering wheel.

That's like the worst place to put my hand. And uncomfortable to keep it quiet, in needs to sense some torque. The torque is gravity on the sides of the wheel. On top or bottom you have to supply some amount of force sideways, which is unnatural.

That's like the worst place to put my hand. And uncomfortable to keep it quiet, in needs to sense some torque. The torque is gravity on the sides of the wheel. On top or bottom you have to supply some amount of force sideways, which is unnatural.
This is backwards for most people. If you have your elbow rest on the console cushion and place your hand on the wheel at the bottom so that it gives the wheel a bit of clockwise torque, it is just enough to drive for hundreds of miles without a single nag. Actually holding the wheel at 9-3 produces a nag several times a minute and is super annoying.

OP's microtorque sensor may be broken though.

You almost have to mock steer (with one hand)
It’s pretty ridiculous.. to be fair though BMW’s DA+ is even worse about nagging and won’t warn you overtly when it shuts off.

There’s rumor of a cell phone holder that might be useful to your endeavors.

• Disagree
Reactions: Occar
Not sure if the level of nagging is the same in the 3 as it is in the S but I don't find it bothers me that often. At high speeds yes, but in slower traffic and stop an go, it does it's thing and doesn't nag almost at all.

With that said, I do have an idea how it would be easily "mitigated", if a tech oriented person would want to. I'd make a tiny timer circuit, print a small enclosure and tap in the follow distance button on the AP stalk and have it adjusted +1/-1 every 20-30 seconds for example.

Maybe a future project, just food for thought now.

Last edited:
This is backwards for most people. If you have your elbow rest on the console cushion and place your hand on the wheel at the bottom so that it gives the wheel a bit of clockwise torque, it is just enough to drive for hundreds of miles without a single nag. Actually holding the wheel at 9-3 produces a nag several times a minute and is super annoying.

OP's microtorque sensor may be broken though.

Bottom vs Low on the wheel are two different things. If your hand is around 4-5 arm rest or not, that probably works too.

But when I read “bottom” I read that as 6 O’Clock and that just doesn’t work well for me. I don’t usually drive that way though. Also at 6 O’Clock I think it’s very poor for evasive control.

I agree that 3 and 9 does not always work because weight cancels out. That is by the book hand position, which is what the OP is doing. But surprisingly, it usually does work. But I usually drive 3 or 9. Maybe it’s 8 or 4.

Bottom vs Low on the wheel are two different things. If your hand is around 4-5 arm rest or not, that probably works too.

But when I read “bottom” I read that as 6 O’Clock and that just doesn’t work well for me. I don’t usually drive that way though. Also at 6 O’Clock I think it’s very poor for evasive control.

I agree that 3 and 9 does not always work because weight cancels out. That is by the book hand position, which is what the OP is doing. But surprisingly, it usually does work. But I usually drive 3 or 9. Maybe it’s 8 or 4.

I meant at about 530. I just snug my hang to the right of the bottom “apple” and it works. I agree it’s not ideal for quick reactions but I usually only use autopilot on highways/longer trips so quick reaction is usually not needed

Quick reactions are always needed on NoAP. Particularly when it tries to make you exit off the freeway several times in a row just plodding along in the right lane. Or when it loses speed limit data and forces a drop down to 50 when you were going 85 before.

I don’t advocate bypassing the nags in a manner that will remove or deflect awareness but at the same time as something of a garage engineer I always appreciate creative solutions to first world problems even if I don’t agree with their purpose.

It NEVER works for me and I refuse to drive with my hand at 6 o'clock. I'll probably use the 1.5lb vecro wrist weight one day.