Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any hack to remove the autopilot nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently completed an out-and-back road trip (Ohio - Utah), 1800+ miles each way, mostly on AP as I was on the interstate. FWIW, on the outbound leg I was very frustrated with the too-frequent nag, so on the return I worked consciously to find hand-on-wheel positions that were comfortable for extended periods and that triggered torque when AP turned the wheel even slightly. I was happy to experience extended stretches (up to ~ 30 min) of nag-free driving, so for me it just took trial-and-error practice. Also FWIW, I never on either leg got past the blue flashing screen nag (i.e., never got the audio/red flash alert nor got put in AP lock-out).

Exactly... folks complaining are holding it wrong :)

tesla is surveying people to see if they'd enable the in car cam to monitor that you're paying attention instead of nag. I hope they get + feedback vs privacy naysayers

Where are they doing the survey?

It's a weird thing to ask, because the existing HW is inadequate for the job (and doesn't even exist in the S/X)

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
That's what a small ~100g weight on the right side does for me. It very lightly pulls the steering to the right, but I drive mostly in AS, and in manual it's barely noticeable.

It doesn't defeat the safety mechanism. It will still nag if I take my hands off the wheel, but lightly resisting the wheel's tugs just by resting my hand naturally (at 3 o' clock) is sufficient to satisfy the attention confirmer. Which is what it's intended for. To confirm you're "there". It's an analog calibration of the algorithm-based sensor. If you fall asleep it senses the static drag of your limp hand, just like it senses none, and will shut you down.

I've driven the car that way since Jan 2019. I even handed my M3 in to the Service Center with my little weight velcro'd on the wheel. They test-drove the car on the freeway, and I got it back that way. I wish it were prettier, but I don't look at it.

20200110_133650s.jpg

Last edited:
I literally spit out my drink just then

save your breath, you're not going to win with these jokers, especially knightshade,smh. think he's the authority on all things tesla

I found a cheaper version of the autopilot buddy and it works perfect. if the critics in here knew what they were talking about I would have been dead months ago, when in reality, everything has gone smooth: I use it and stay attentive.

did they bring up the scenario of you using a hack and you get a heart attack and then can't stop the car yet? smh

Reactions: davidc18 and DanCar
save your breath, you're not going to win with these jokers,

I’m waiting for one of these nag-defeat devices to end up on the news. All it takes is one person to make a mistake with it and hit something (or worse, someone) - and once a device like this is discovered to be involved, we’ll have Congress calling for an Autopilot ban. I mean, more than they are already. We’ve already got some asshats in Congress convinced AP is a killer - let’s not give them any more fodder. Please be safe and attentive - my TSLA shares thank you in advance.

Did a long drive from Austin to Corpus Christi yesterday and found that if I hang one hand on one side of the wheel (meaning that slight pressure is only applied to one side). the nag completely went away, as in I never saw it in over 1hr of driving. It's not a comfortable position, which is probably a good thing, and you do have to switch hands every so often, but there was no nag at all. Now, this doesn't mean I wasn't paying attention to what the car was doing and what was going on around me at all times, but it was nice to not have to worry about shaking the wheel every minute or so.

On a side note, I also noticed that NoA is now moving out of the left lane when possible. Others have mentioned previously that they didn't like that the Tesla would get all the way over to the left lane and then stay there. I have my AP setting set to Mad Max mode with lane change confirmation disabled and it was changing lanes like a banshee! I had to turn speed based lane changes off, but it would still move out of the left lane when there was room to move back over to the right. Pretty cool! I will also be turning the lane change confirmation back on, so that I can just ignore it when I feel it's necessary to do so. I don't recommend turning this feature off when Mad Max mode is enabled because it changes lanes, back and forth, way too often for my liking (and I'm sure to the liking of those driving around me).

Reactions: smatthew
ive noticed a couple times driving around that when im in NoA (i keep mad max enabled) and the car gets in the left lane, it wants to get into the hov lane, even though i have the hov radio button ticked off. it kept doing this last night, so i let it proceed to get into the hov, then after about 10 seconds or so it wanted to get OUT of the lane. it saw the diamond icon which i see on the screen the entire time. it even wanted to switch over into the hov lane CROSSING the double yellow. now in its defense, the double yellow was worn a lot in some places so that may have made it feel that it was "seeing" the broken lane markings that mermit one to legally get into the hov.

have anyone seen this type of behaviour with the car wanting to get into hov lane even though you've disabled that permission?

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Did a long drive from Austin to Corpus Christi yesterday and found that if I hang one hand on one side of the wheel (meaning that slight pressure is only applied to one side). the nag completely went away, as in I never saw it in over 1hr of driving. It's not a comfortable position, which is probably a good thing, and you do have to switch hands every so often, but there was no nag at all. Now, this doesn't mean I wasn't paying attention to what the car was doing and what was going on around me at all times, but it was nice to not have to worry about shaking the wheel every minute or so.

You didn't have to shake the wheel every minute or so... All you had to do was hang one hand on the side of the wheel every minute or so.

Reactions: TX_M3P+
It's worth saying one more time: people have different anatomies
and different neuromuscular systems. To some the nag system as
factory-calibrated is balanced well as to comfort/effectiveness. But
for others it's either too lax, or too strict. Adjusting the sensitivity
should be an on-screen option, IMHO. Barring that, people can change
how they hold the wheel, or how the wheel is balanced, so there's neither
excessive discomfort nor increased risk. It takes some trial and error.
The car MUST respond to emergencies such as driver loss of control,
loss of consciousness, etc. It can happen to any of us.

The use of masher defeaters that will keep the car going even if you
let go of the wheel is for foolish people who don't understand the
very real system limitations and imminent human mortality.

Last edited:
you're holding it wrong. Two hands on the wheel means you're not putting any torque on the wheel. So yes, it will nag you.
Who said it was 2 hands? I am holding the wheel just fine for safe driving, just not in a way that satisfies the post-hoc torque requirement. My point is the test for attention and safety is invalid. Should there even be a test is another issue.

@Gwgan, come on, figure out a way. It's not a test for "attention", really.
It's more a test for being in position to take over, because in AP you must be.
If your 40 years' way isn't working, try alternative ways. It IS a different car, right?
Judging by the people here, there are lots of ways. This isn't rocket science ;-)

Reactions: smatthew
@Gwgan, I'm not understanding what you want.

The Nag's purpose is to ensure the driver is responsive and can take over quickly, and of course to convince fearful regulators that it does that. I have no quarrel with any of these objectives. Do you?

I've fallen asleep at the wheel a couple of times over the many years, and a Loud Nag might have helped. With AS it's even more important.

I do agree that it's far short of ideal. As factory-set on my car, combined with how my body works, the nag system is demanding unnatural movements that create distraction and irritation. Evidently for some people it works fine in their "work-flow". In the absence of a more perfect system, each of us should find a way to best use it. IMHO defeating the alert outright is not necessary, and it's not smart.

Last edited: