Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any hack to remove the autopilot nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use a 1.5Lb ankle weight on the steering wheel and it doesn't nag me anymore. I still pay attention and am ready to take over but I can relax a bit more especially in super heavy traffic.

1.5 lbs, when 3 oz tunes it down without losing
protection? Why 1.5 lbs?? it doesn't nag you? I bet.
But why stop there? You need some tape on cameras etc.

See, we don't have two sides to this issue, we have at least 3.

What you're doing indicates you are immune to sleep, distractions,
all health problems, reason and death. Cool.

• Love
Reactions: cucubits
The problem is the tension on steering wheel does not prevent going to sleep at the wheel. I know of a Tesla driver on Autopilot without any nag defeat measures fell asleep at the wheel and drove 20 minutes maintaining tension while asleep. He only woke when navigate on autopilot started turning the steering wheel to exit the highway.

I have long thought Tesla should have eye attention detection instead of the present system. I would happily pay for camera to be fitted to stop the nags.

1.5 lbs, when 3 oz tunes it down without losing
protection? Why 1.5 lbs?? it doesn't nag you? I bet.
But why stop there? You need some tape on cameras etc.

See, we don't have two sides to this issue, we have at least 3.

Soooooo use 3oz weights ? Is that enough ?

It took me a while to find that one 3-4 oz weight works best for me. The "perfect" compensation will be different for different people. I tested with pellets in a small thick taped-up baggie. I was planning to make it purdy, but forgot.

As shown in the photo above (behind the wheel spoke at 3:00), it offers a finger-rest too. I keep my right hand at 3:00 very comfortably, with elbow on the center console, and fingers wrapped behind the wheel.

I don't want to defeat the safety. Just adjust the torque needed to assert "I'm here". I don't have a need for extended hands-free episodes. Most of the time the natural sway of the wheel+car+hand system satisfies the sensor. That's why any weight should be tuned to you, and how you hold the wheel.

If I do get a blue flash while driving (quite rarely), then just lightly moving my hand says "OK".

I'm sure some people can sleep or crash however they use the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18
The problem is the tension on steering wheel does not prevent going to sleep at the wheel. I know of a Tesla driver on Autopilot without any nag defeat measures fell asleep at the wheel and drove 20 minutes maintaining tension while asleep. He only woke when navigate on autopilot started turning the steering wheel to exit the highway.

I have long thought Tesla should have eye attention detection instead of the present system. I would happily pay for camera to be fitted to stop the nags.

Maybe that's what they are doing with the interior camera. Trying program it so it can detect if your head is bopping.

@Fernand My decades of driving is working just fine. I am not going to be convinced that a hack to appease regulators is effective or convenient. Nor will I try to dissuade you from finding comfort in the nag. Perhaps someday we see data saying the nag is statistically not helpful or even harmful.
Your driving style works for manual driving, but it appears that it doesn't work when you use AutoPilot. So you can continue to do what you've always done and be annoyed by nags, or just learn to work WITH AutoPilot.

Maybe that's what they are doing with the interior camera. Trying program it so it can detect if your head is bopping.

The camera is not the right type, does not have the right supporting equipment, and is not the correct position, to be used as a driver attention monitoring system.

Plus they don't even have them at all in the S or X.

It could PROBABLY be used as a generic "better than nothing" detection of driver fell asleep.... maybe... but that'd be the best it could, maybe, do and even then only with good lighting and some luck.

No, you can't. Tested, doesn't work (Model 3 SR+, 2020.32.1).

If anybody thinks it works, then only because the hand was on the steering wheel, exerting torque.

I use it everyday so I know it works and it's not torque because i'm not touching the steering wheel. It must be a US thing.

It's not a US thing - the person saying they've tested & it didn't work is probably in one of the following categories:

1. Has a defective car.
2. Did a defective test.
3. Lied and didn't actually test anything, and is just spouting off on forums.

Using either volume or speed control gives the car the feedback it wants, as does torque or resistance to torque on the wheel, as does the turn signal. Basically, anything you can DO on the steering wheel which the car can sense will satisfy the car.

Reactions: Mr. Big
Just drove ~ 300 miles on a trip from Oakland to Carmel via Santa Cruz, stayed a couple of days there, around Monterey, and back via Gilroy. No nags. I keep my right hand on the wheel at 3:00 on the little 3 Oz weight most of the time, but not 100% - there are naturally nagless stretches for filling your vape, stretching, scratching, unwrapping food, etc. A lot of side trips, freeway, highway and city driving (with stoplight handling). Stopped at Tesla to supercharge, watch CalFire news and useful tutorials on YouTube :)

Now, I ride that automation, I don't just sit there. We're in NOA/AP nearly all the time. Nicki and I work together. I drop it out of AS where it's pointless. It's set to Mad Max no-confirmation lane changes. It's gotten VERY good at lane changes and slowing down on big curve merges. The NOA, AP, AS have been essentially flawless. Man, I LOVE this car more and more.

Reactions: smatthew
It's not a US thing - the person saying they've tested & it didn't work is probably in one of the following categories:

1. Has a defective car.
2. Did a defective test.
3. Lied and didn't actually test anything, and is just spouting off on forums.

Using either volume or speed control gives the car the feedback it wants, as does torque or resistance to torque on the wheel, as does the turn signal. Basically, anything you can DO on the steering wheel which the car can sense will satisfy the car.

I did that test. I will gladly repeat it, if you tell me exactly how to test.

I thought it was already confirmed as a Europe thing. Teslas in Europe have to conform to stricter (anti-Tesla) regulations.

The "driver inattention detector" is not adjustable. I'm someone who has countless times knocked the AP out by jerking, and sometimes failed to notice. That's a barrel of laughs when you're expecting correction as you're heading for the proverbial ditch.

I've tried all practical hand positions on the wheel, for me none prevent nags. I don't want to disable the nag, what I want is for small corrections from my hand to satisfy the system. My hand rests around the 3:00 position, elbow on the console. A small 3-4 oz weight on the back of the right spoke, held on with a velcro strap, is what I wrap my fingers around. When a nag does occur, it only takes a tiny motion to clear it. Mission accomplished.

Using heavier weights is a very bad idea because 1) it's unnecessary, 2) you don't want to defeat what is after all a reasonable safety interlock, even though it's not ideally implemented and 3) with a heavier weight the drag to the right becomes annoying in Manual driving.

View attachment 511519

Now I think I'll go hide, expecting Puritan and L&O fire.
I followed your proposal. Works perfectly well. Nags is now no more a concern. Period. Thanks a lot.