Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any hack to remove the autopilot nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to be clear I always have my hands on the wheel, but I believe the sensor on my car is defective. I ALWAYS get the nag, not only me but my wife and anyone who drives the car. The only way to remove it is to aggressively wiggle the sheering wheel, which often is enough to disable AP, or adjust the volume. Before v10 the nag was around once a minute, now it’s literally every 10 seconds.

Any hack to remove it? People said that an orange wedged in the steering wheel worked for the model S but not the model 3.
In my experience we had two Teslas that required different amounts of torque applied to the steering wheel to stop the reminder. We had an S and an X build about one month of each other. Our X required significantly more torque to cancel the reminder and the effort was very colors to the AP disengagement effort. We complained to service and they said it was normal and said each individual car was different, I’m not sure that is really accurate. There must be some standard because torque to the wheel is also what causes the AP disengagement. I think they have a tendency to say some things are normal. In the end we accepted the added inconvenience but with the newer software nags more frequent it was more of an annoyance. I eventually started using the volume wheel one click up and one click down every 30 seconds or so

11FA405F-AD6F-4FE5-875A-9BC221063782.jpeg
DD57D742-0655-43A3-860C-3E2BC6ABE398.jpeg
Probably won't schedule an appt because nothing scares me more than giving my car to a SC after my past experiences. So unless I absolutely have to do it, I won't. And I don't use AP because if I let it do it's thing, it puts me in dangerous situations because it has no clue how to drive defensively, and it likes to phantom brake.
Sounds like AP isn’t for you, which I totally understand. But I use it 90% of the time and find it simply awesome. If you do want to try and get familiar with it, find somewhere I’m crowded so you aren’t worried about phantom barking etc. I use these two hand placements and they work perfectly all the time.

Edit: the two fingers on the left is just to show how minimal the force needs to be to satisfy the nag. It’s literally nothing more than apply downward force ever so gently.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
oh, so somehow I moved to iran or yemen? clearly I can do what I want here in the USA
Please don't put words in my mouth or assume my stance on ANYTHING unless you hear me say it
Save your sob story until I actually get into an accident
Using the hack and paying the attention to the road is no different than people resting their hand lightly on the wheel with AP on and paying attention to the road
You talk as if I put the hack on and take a 3 hour nap or something, smh
Wat I'm doing is no worse than people talking on the phone or texting while driving. You can't save the world, you're wasting your keystrokes, people will always text and drive

Just because YOU say it’s no worse than keeping your hand on the wheel, That makes it OK. Laws have been put in place around texting. And probably more coming. They won’t need laws to turn off AP, They will make Tesla turn it Off. Some lawmakers are already trying. You are exactly what they want to get it through.

It doesn’t matter if the “hack” was even at fault. It will take the blame. You can’t stop the world from blaming it.

The way your talking you probably text while running hacked AP. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit. What harm can texting be, I promise I’ll still pay attention. And it’s the USA, I can do what ever I want.

In my experience we had two Teslas that required different amounts of torque applied to the steering wheel to stop the reminder. We had an S and an X build about one month of each other. Our X required significantly more torque to cancel the reminder and the effort was very colors to the AP disengagement effort. We complained to service and they said it was normal and said each individual car was different, I’m not sure that is really accurate. There must be some standard because torque to the wheel is also what causes the AP disengagement. I think they have a tendency to say some things are normal. In the end we accepted the added inconvenience but with the newer software nags more frequent it was more of an annoyance. I eventually started using the volume wheel one click up and one click down every 30 seconds or so

My X requires way less “input” to not nag and way less torque to break out of autopilot. On the Model 3 if I purposely want to steer out of AP while my wife was napping I’d always jerk the car around and startle my wife awake. I’d have to use so much force I’d over steer once it let go. With the X it’s as smooth as silk. Yet it nags even less (but software has changed since I had 3). Not sure if large Lr steering wheel is part of the reason.

• Funny
Wow, this thread is frightening.

You need to provide torque (turning force). It can be done with two hands, but both hands resting equally are obviously not optimal for that.

I usually just make the "OK" symbol with my left index finger and thumb. The left index finger goes over the top into the notch above the volume control. Pull down. That's it. Zero nags ever.

When I get tired, I'll either switch hands, or push with two fingers against the bottom part of the steering wheel "T" for a bit.

If I see a complex driving situation happening in front of me then both hands go on the wheel.

Don't mess with cheat devices. If you buy an orange. Eat it. We'll all thank you. :)

My X requires way less “input” to not nag and way less torque to break out of autopilot. On the Model 3 if I purposely want to steer out of AP while my wife was napping I’d always jerk the car around and startle my wife awake. I’d have to use so much force I’d over steer once it let go. With the X it’s as smooth as silk. Yet it nags even less (but software has changed since I had 3). Not sure if large Lr steering wheel is part of the reason.
I picked up my son from the airport in my P3 and he commented that my steering inputs to cancel the nags were slightly perceptible from the passenger seat. I was surprised because it wasn’t noticeable while I was actually exerting the effort. I now use the volume wheel method in that car also. On a side note, my P3 isn’t FSD and the AP disengagement effort is dramatically less if the blinker is engaged while applying torque to the steering wheel. Having new Teslas one with FSD and also one with regular included AP, I don’t miss the FSD at all.

I'll check out today. Yesterday I had both hands on the wheel and shook it left and right and it still didn't register. Not sure if that's consistent because I find AP so useless for my style of defensive driving and fear of more phantom brakings that I barely use it.

Instead of shaking the wheel to dismiss a nag, try pulling down on one side of the wheel with a steady force. I find that is a more reliable way to satisfy a nag without disengaging AP. You probably have a car like mine with a sensor set to require quite a bit of force. I have to actively pull down with a firm grip on one side of my wheel at all times to avoid nags.

FSD as defined prior to March 2019 when complete will not have a nag, since it explicitly says it'll drive without the driver having to do anything at all.

thanks for this info
so if no nag, what's the difference if we use a hack for AP? appears in AP or FSP you still depend on the computer to make the driving decisions. In FSP, seems you could take a nap then. How is FSP safer than the weight hack?

Just because YOU say it’s no worse than keeping your hand on the wheel, That makes it OK. Laws have been put in place around texting. And probably more coming. They won’t need laws to turn off AP, They will make Tesla turn it Off. Some lawmakers are already trying. You are exactly what they want to get it through.

The way your talking you probably text while running hacked AP. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit. What harm can texting be, I promise I’ll still pay attention. And it’s the USA, I can do what ever I want.

Well keep trying to save the world. If the world was a perfect place we wouldn't have laws.
Also see above, not sure why its safer to depend on FSD rather than just AP when both depend on Tesla's computer.

Instead of shaking the wheel to dismiss a nag, try pulling down on one side of the wheel with a steady force. I find that is a more reliable way to satisfy a nag without disengaging AP. You probably have a car like mine with a sensor set to require quite a bit of force. I have to actively pull down with a firm grip on one side of my wheel at all times to avoid nags.
I noticed the same thing...a steady force is better than a quick turn. There is a short but noticeable delay when applying a steady force which sometimes feels like the system is not going to recognize the force. IMO, applying the steady force is still better than doing a quick turn and accidentally disabling AP.

At least you were smart enough to mount it behind the wheel... in a previous thread I recall a dude proudly showing off the small bag of BBs he had taped to the front to beat the nag... which will be a lot of fun if his airbag ever deploys.

Well BBs definitely aren't the best choice, because they are small and can impale. However, the airbag doesn't deploy where you should be putting the weight at. I mean unless he taped the BBs over the horn in center of steering wheel, he should be fine when it deploys

• Funny
No, you can’t do anything you want. Self righteous FU to everyone, I’m the only person that matters, I pay my taxes so the road is mine mentality.

You spoil it for all other Tesla owners when enough fools take your advice, lead to accidents and AP gets completely banned.

Many of us are happy with just the way it is.

Thanks pal, your such a peach.

Maybe you could take up sky diving and experiment with disabling the safeties or something. Parachutes are so overrated. You can do anything you want.
If FSD and AP are disabled I want a $10,000 refund. Just sayin’

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
who to say people who use this hack will blame tesla though? most people, like myself, assume the risk. Yeah people may not like its but its the USA we can do what we want

Blame Tesla has nothing to do with it. You go right ahead and "we can do what we want". When it adversely impacts someone else, its called "willful negligence".

thanks for this info
so if no nag, what's the difference if we use a hack for AP?

Because for the Pre March 2019 folks FSD doesn't exist yet. None of their cars have it.

Those folks only have EAP- which has all the current features of the "new" FSD, and which is explicitly an L2 system never intended to not require full driver attention.

So all their cars nag too right now- because the "software that doesn't need to nag" stuff doesn't actually exist yet. (or at least doesn't outside of a lab/test cars)

appears in AP or FSP you still depend on the computer to make the driving decisions. In FSP, seems you could take a nap then. How is FSP safer than the weight hack?

I assume you mean FSD... which, again, does not exist yet

It's a promised, future, feature for the pre-March 2019 folks.

Well keep trying to save the world. If the world was a perfect place we wouldn't have laws.
Also see above, not sure why its safer to depend on FSD rather than just AP when both depend on Tesla's computer.

Because they're entirely different systems with vastly different capabilities- and only one of them (the much less safe one) even exists in current consumer teslas.

Even once it DOES exist- the AP-only cars will still be dangerous to use with the hack because they won't be running the more advanced, more capable, software.

• Funny
Wat I'm doing is no worse than people talking on the phone or texting while driving.
I’m not sure you are doing yourself any favours by arguing that what you are doing is no worse than the kind of behaviour that causes thousands of deaths and hundreds of thousands of injuries each year.

Texting — the most common cause of distracted driving accidents — is fast becoming the new drunk driving. In 2015, the most recent year for which there are U.S. Department of Transportation statistics, distracted driving crashes caused 3,500 fatalities and close to 400,000 injuries.

Op-Ed: Texting while driving is as dangerous as driving drunk. We need to treat it accordingly