Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any hack to remove the autopilot nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the wedged bottle is a very very clever hack.
Hey, it only looks idiotic. Consider the sophistication:
As you drink the stuff from the bottle its weigh decreases.
Ultimately the bottle is empty and ceases to affect the nag,
at exactly the time you'd better be VERY focused on driving.

:)

p.s. FWIW, when I was testing counterweights to find the
level that didn't defeat the nag, just made it easier to satisfy,
it seemed like with recent versions Tesla have made it nearly
impossible to fully bypass. It would ultimately nag, no matter
the weight. That would be smart.
I'd love to know if many of our
Mensa members are like, you know, tooling around for days
on Version 10+ with never a nag.

• Disagree
Reactions: Garlan Garner
At least you were smart enough to mount it behind the wheel... in a previous thread I recall a dude proudly showing off the small bag of BBs he had taped to the front to beat the nag... which will be a lot of fun if his airbag ever deploys.
Or just convert your steering wheel to a claymore

Claymore.png

Ain’t gonna lie. I tried weights on the Steering wheel once to see how good auto pilot was. Now. It worked really good because I drove the 5 most of the time and my lane changes are on average. And I loved it. But I wouldn’t make it a habit. Imagine if you really did run into an emergency with weights on the steering wheel.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I don't recommend anything to suppress the nag. What i do find odd is having both hands on the wheel and still get the nag. And not just on straight roads either. I guess I'm that in tune with my car that my mirroring the road is on point.

Anyway, when I'm without both hands on the wheel, I use my index finger on the left side of the wheel while propping my arm on the door rest. Works well except for long straights. I'll then adjust the radio volume to rid the nag of that happens.

Why are you following me? Are you obsessed? you are scaring me way more than people who use this hack

You keep using a lot of words you don't understand.

"follow" for example....

fol·low
/ˈfälō/
verb
  1. 1.
    go or come after

Your post came after mine. YOU followed ME in the thread. Because that's what that word means.

You also seem unable to continually be preoccupied replying to literally everyone who points out how little sense any of your posts make... that's a great example of an obsession. On your part. Because that's how that word works.

Words are fun- once you actually learn to use them properly.

Maybe give that a shot sometime?

As a completely separate topic: I'm also curious why people seem to think that holding the steering wheel implies you're paying attention to the road. Clearly Cadillac doesn't think that's a requirement with SuperCruise with their hands-free system. I get that for Tesla it's the only thing the only tool they had available for cars lacking additional sensors to ensure the driver is paying attention, and that having your hands on the steering wheel should make your response faster to unexpected situations.

It seems like you answered your own question?

Caddy added a bunch of additional HW to their cars to be able to check for driver attention (and it still has its own issues) that Teslas don't have in them- so the wheel torque sensor is the best tool available for the job.

I agree it's not ideal, but it's what exists... and is certainly better than nothing.

I was initially a little surprised neither the 3 nor Y were designed with any significantly better system for this... but then you have to keep in mind Elon continually thinks "Well, we won't need any of this stuff when FSD is done, and that's Real Soon Now"

He's right about the first part, but keeps being wrong about the second.

Imagine if you really did run into an emergency with weights on the steering wheel.

Okay. Weights on the steering wheel and the driver is paying attention.
What emergency could 1 run into that would be a problem because weight is on the wheel?
Remember: the weight on the wheel only stops the nag. It in no way prevents the driver from taking control of the car immediately when paying attention. It in no way prevents a driver from scanning down the road for any oncoming issues.

So please, give me a scenario where an "emergency" occurs when the weight is on the weight,but driver fully attentive.

What emergency could 1 run into that would be a problem because weight is on the wheel?
Remember: the weight on the wheel only stops the nag. It in no way prevents the driver from taking control of the car immediately when paying attention. It in no way prevents a driver from scanning down the road for any oncoming issues.

So please, give me a scenario where an "emergency" occurs when the weight is on the weight,but driver fully attentive.

I've got one: driver fully attentive until he has a medical emergency/seizure/faints/whatever. Then the car with the weight on the steering wheel will not nag, will not notice the driver is not aware and will happily plow into the nearest wall/truck/divider instead of slowing down and stopping safely with the hazards on.

In this case the weight essentially bypasses a safety feature.

Last edited:
I've got one: driver fully attentive until he has a medical emergency/seizure/faints/whatever. Then the car with the weight on the steering wheel will not nag, will not notice the driver is not aware and will happily plow into the nearest wall/truck/divider instead if slowing down and stopping safely with the hazards on.

Corner case but duly noted.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
I've got one: driver fully attentive until he has a medical emergency/seizure/faints/whatever. Then the car with the weight on the steering wheel will not nag, will not notice the driver is not aware and will happily plow into the nearest wall/truck/divider instead if slowing down and stopping safely with the hazards on.

Okay, the driver has the emergency, not the car.Meaning car still operates fine. Meaning why in the world would it plow into a wall or truck on AP? To stop the car all a car has to do is come in front of it. Car has radar to slow down, u know that right? So according to you, using AP will plow into a stopped car? instead of slowing down and stopping safely? I use AP every day in stop in go traffic to work, I've never plowed into a car.I can be doing 60MPH and come upon traffic going 1mph. The car will slow down well before and stop or go 1mph, it will NOT plow into the back of the car. Try again.

Lets go back to your solution. No hack on, have seizure. Nag comes on and since u can't grab wheel or turn volume, the nag forces the car to a stop right? Okay. So not you're stopped in the middle of the highway on the authobahn with cars whizzing by at 100mph. Not the safest place to be

Also, if you have an emergency/seizure/faint in any other car, you will probably crash 99% of the time. You actually have a better chance in a car with AP hack because the car would come to a complete stop safely if it came upon traffic, or any stopped vehicle. Try again

Lets face it, if you have a seizure or pass out in ANY car, the outcome is most likely not going to be good. Seizures aren't bad just for Teslas

Last edited:
Okay, the driver has the emergency, not the car.Meaning car still operates fine. Meaning why in the world would it plow into a wall or truck on AP?

Because the system does not always stop for stationary objects.

There's been numerous cases where a Tesla on AP slammed right into a stationary vehicle.

I even cited a specific one previously- where it slammed into the back of a parked fire truck at full speed.

There's 2 well known examples where it went right into the side of a semi truck turning in front of it in cross-traffic because the driver was not paying attention.

Unless it's a car fully in your lane, going the same direction as you, AP is entirely likely to incorrectly understand or respond to an object.

AP is not intended to replace a driver

It's not capable of doing so- and has literally killed idiots who did not understand this.

So defeating its safety systems is a very poor idea.

To stop the car all a car has to do is come in front of it. Car has radar to slow down, u know that right? So according to you, using AP will plow into a stopped car? instead of slowing down and stopping safely?

Yes, it will in some circumstances.

You've had specific examples already given to you of it actually doing so in fact.

The owners manual tells you it might do that

Model 3 Owners Manual page 88 said:
Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control cannot detect all objects and, especially in situations when you are driving over 50 mph, may not brake/decelerate when a vehicle or object is only partially in the driving lane or when a vehicle you are following moves out of your driving path and a stationary or slow-moving object is in front of you

Model 3 Owners Manual page 94 said:
Warning: Autosteer is not designed to, and will not, steer Model 3 around objects partially or completely in the driving lane

Last edited:
  • Funny
AP will plow into a stopped car?

Actually yes, it will, if the stopped car/whatever else has already been stationary when the AP sees it. It's well known that stationary objects are often not registered by the AP, just look up some of the accident threads around here. AP1,2,3 is not ready to be turned into FSD with a lemon stuck in the steering wheel just yet.

Edit: Knightshade beat me to it and said it much more clearly, hope you understand this.

• Disagree
Because the system does not always stop for stationary objects.

There's been numerous cases where a Tesla on AP slammed right into a stationary vehicle.

I even cited a specific one previously- where it slammed into the back of a parked fire truck at full speed.

There's 2 well known examples where it went right into the side of a semi truck turning in front of it in cross-traffic because the driver was not paying attention.

So for you and cucbits to be right, you're banking on 2 wild things to happen:
1) you have a seizure
2) at the same time you have a seizure, Tesla's computer fails and plows into the back of a car.

I ask both of you:
1) how many times have you had a seizure while driving
2) how many times has your Tesla failed and plowed into the back of a car on AP?

Now, common sense says anything is possible, so sure, you can have a seizure and the computer fail and plow into a car.
I could also get struck by lighting, but how often does that happen to people in a lifetime?

You strive way too hard to come up with a scenario to make you seem right.

You carefully didn't address the point of what happens to people having a seizure but in cars other than a Tesla

Actually yes, it will, if the stopped car/whatever else has already been stationary when the AP sees it. It's well known that stationary objects are often not registered by the AP, just look up some of the accident threads around here. AP1,2,3 is not ready to be turned into FSD with a lemon stuck in the steering wheel just yet.

Edit: Knightshade beat me to it and said it much more clearly, hope you understand this.

Please see above

People having seizures in cars other than Tesla are dead on arrival tho huh? at least you have a chance in tesla on AP, hacked or not!

So for you and cucbits to be right, you're banking on 2 wild things to happen:
1) you have a seizure
2) at the same time you have a seizure, Tesla's computer fails and plows into the back of a car.

I ask both of you:
1) how many times have you had a seizure while driving
2) how many times has your Tesla failed and plowed into the back of a car on AP?

Personally? None.

But you misunderstand item 2.

The computer is not "failing"

The computer is not intended to and is not capable of replacing the driver.

The fact it may well crash into stationary objects is a known limitation of the system.

That's part of why it's only a level 2 system.

Model 3 Owners Manual page 88 said:
Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control cannot detect all objects and, especially in situations when you are driving over 50 mph, may not brake/decelerate when a vehicle or object is only partially in the driving lane or when a vehicle you are following moves out of your driving path and a stationary or slow-moving object is in front of you

Model 3 Owners Manual page 94 said:
Warning: Autosteer is not designed to, and will not, steer Model 3 around objects partially or completely in the driving lane

That's not even getting into situations where you were using the system off a highway... in which case the car will also go straight through stop signs and red lights into live cross-traffic, bikers, and pedestrians- instead of stopping itself when you ignore the nags.

Or situations where you're on basic AP (no lane changes, no understanding of exit ramps) and the highway changes or ends.

• Funny
Personally? None.

But you misunderstand item 2.

The computer is not "failing"

The computer is not intended to and is not capable of replacing the driver.

The fact it may well crash into stationary objects is a known limitation of the system.

That's part of why it's only a level 2 system.

Now you're playing silly word games
So if on AP a car plows into the back of another car, you don't call that "failing"? I guess you call that "success"?
You telling me on AP its designed to plow into the back of stopped cars? If its not, then I call it a fail, but you want to play word games so you can appear right about everything.

I'm not sure how you want to blame tesla about a hack that can kill you if you have a seizure when most cars don't have AP and would have a 99% chance crashing and having bodily harm. Tesla at least gives the driver a chance. In other cars you are basically doomed. But you don't want to address that because you're too busy trying to pin probably a 1% chance of having a seizure and the AP "failing" and plowing into the back of a stopped vehicle.

People use AP everyday, hundreds of thousands, and they are not plowing into the back of vehicles. You are not being realistic. You are just basing your whole case on "anything is possible". Which I agree. But its possible you will win the mega millions for 3.2 $ Billion tomorrow as well....

but okay, you have to be right on everything. you're right. now, can you go away please? thanks in advance

So please, give me a scenario where an "emergency" occurs when the weight is on the weight, but driver fully attentive.

A blowout on the front wheel at 70mph with no one holding the steering wheel.

Is it worth it?

Deer jumps the guard rail in front of the car @70mph with no one holding the wheel.

Is it worth it?

Any part of the suspension breaks @70mph with no one holding the steering wheel.

Is it worth it?

I don't care about the negligent driver.....Is it worth it to everyone else?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
A blowout on the front wheel with no one holding the steering wheel.

Is it worth it?

what? if the wheel blows out you just grab the steering wheel!!
I said paying attention, so the driver is not in the back seat. They are in the drivers seat with hands inches from the steering wheel.

That's what paying attention means!! if some happens, you grab the wheel and make any necessary adjustments.

Also, even if there's a blowout, that means there's a problem with the tire, NOT the Tesla computer. That means, even if you don't touch the steering wheel, on AP tesla will still try to drive the car straight!!!! Not sure why you think blowout means instant crash

I've had blowouts before. But this isn't the movies. The car/tire doesn't blow up and it doesnt mean you just make a 90degree right angle turn and just crash. The wheel just gets wobbly, its doesn't mean instant accident.

I mean even if you're in a Tesla and the front wheel blows, if you're doing 120mph when this happens, even though your hands are on the wheel and not using AP, doesn't guarantee you you'll be safe and not crash. not at all!! Speed plays the most factor. Unless you think I will die having a front tire blowout at 15mph

what? if the wheel blows out you just grab the steering wheel!!
I said paying attention, so the driver is not in the back seat. They are in the drivers seat with hands inches from the steering wheel.

That's what paying attention means!! if some happens, you grab the wheel and make any necessary adjustments.

Also, even if there's a blowout, that means there's a problem with the tire, NOT the Tesla computer. That means, even if you don't touch the steering wheel, on AP tesla will still try to drive the car straight!!!! Not sure why you think blowout means instant crash

I've had blowouts before. But this isn't the movies. The car/tire doesn't blow up and it doesnt mean you just make a 90degree right angle turn and just crash. The wheel just gets wobbly, its doesn't mean instant accident.

I mean even if you're in a Tesla and the front wheel blows, if you're doing 120mph when this happens, even though your hands are on the wheel and not using AP, doesn't guarantee you you'll be safe and not crash. not at all!!

The reaction time is vastly different @70mph.

Autopilot will disengage with a pull of that magnitude.

I don't care if its the tires fault or the cars fault or anything.....

Tell the person you smashed into @70mph who also doesn't care if its the tires fault.....or your fault.

• Funny
Deer jumps the guard rail in front of the car @70mph with no one holding the wheel.

Is it worth it?

Any part of the suspension breaks @70mph with no one holding the steering wheel.

Is it worth it?

?

A driver sits in the driver seat
If a driver is not touching the steering wheel, how long do you think it takes to grab the wheel? 5minutes or something?

Even If your hand is on the wheel, you're options are limited to try dodging a deer at that speed. jerking the wheel sharply left or right is not safe. You could turn sharp left/right and never recover. sometimes you have have to hit the deer if you're going too fast. The speed you going will always play a factor in anything

suspension? I can grab the wheel in less than 1 second. not sure why you think every incident means INSTANT crash

You and others also make it seem like, as long as you're not using a hack, you can overcome ANY bad incident that happens to you while driving. That's just a silly false sense of security