Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any hack to remove the autopilot nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still think a bottle of Colt 45 is ideal, wedges perfectly in the wheel, it's heavy, is a perfect refreshment while driving in AP, and when you crash it'll spill malt liquor all over you thus ensuing you're blamed for the crash (DUI) rather than Tesla's autopilot.
Right. Especially if you reside in NY so the local constabulary can practice a little lawful theft.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
I actually don't even keep it my car. If I died in an AP crash and it was found... there would be no pity on this forum. ;)

no pity whatsoever lol

Yes, but can you disable it by eating it? Bet you didn't think of that, right?

lawdy bee

I still think a bottle of Colt 45 is ideal, wedges perfectly in the wheel, it's heavy, is a perfect refreshment while driving in AP, and when you crash it'll spill malt liquor all over you thus ensuing you're blamed for the crash (DUI) rather than Tesla's autopilot.

goodness griefus

Reactions: ElectricIAC
This seems as good a thread as any to start some excitement :)

I've had AP for several years now. First in my S, and now in my 3. I use it pretty much every day, and pretty much every day I think about defeating this nag. I find it annoying, but also ironically dangerous. So I start looking to see if anyone's come up with something more clever than the orange-in-a-sock. A quick scan through threads like these, its obvious there's a lot of pushback from people calling it unsafe, irresponsible, "defeating a safety feature", etc.

To me that's a strange take on it. The nags are lawyer-driven, not designer driven and not even safety driven. They are 100% "cover my ass". It makes absolutely no sense (unless I'm missing something) to have a "safety feature" that says, "psst... hey, hey you... look over here! Yeah, down here... take your eyes off the road a sec so you can read this message down here. NO SERIOUSLY, LOOK HERE.". It isn't as bad as my wife's Bolt, which has a paragraph and a confirmation button on the screen that comes on after you start moving (sigh), but I really do find it takes my eyes off the road, which is exactly what I shouldn't be doing.

Basically, I look at it like this: if I'm going to use Autopilot "carelessly", then I'm going to do that whether or not a little message tells me I'm doing it wrong every few seconds. If I'm a careful driver who uses AP to sweat the small stuff while I keep my attention laser focused on the more complex parts of driving, then I shouldn't have something come up trying to distract me.

Am I wrong? Would defeating that nag really be so bad? I read someone equating it to defeating the seatbelt nag, but in that case defeating it is to avoid using a true safety feature (the seatbelt). In this case, if one feels that AP is safe then we should use it nag-free. If it is not safe, then the complaint should be with AP use, nag or no nag.

Who's with me? lol. Come on, don't everyone put up your hands all at once.

The nags are lawyer-driven, not designer driven and not even safety driven. They are 100% "cover my ass".

Okay, there are no autopilot nags, you use it happily without having to touch the wheel for many many miles. You go on roadtrips. You get bored because there's nothing to do with you hands. You get used to this. Life is good. You start letting it do its thing and you do yours... until autopilot in all its glory plows right into a stationary truck in your lane or in a highway divider or in a ...wall, because you we doing something else, because you didn't have to keep your hands on the wheel = not paying attention forward.

Please, explain again how the nags are not a safety feature.

I'm also all for disabling this IF there is another reliable way for the car to monitor the driver. Or when they really reach a level of autonomy which allows the car to do everything safely. Currently AP is just a glorified lane keep assist, nothing more.

The nag does not force one to focus on the road. Like, at all. The opposite is true... it does force you to periodically take focus off the road as your attention is drawn to the nag. Wiggling the wheel every few seconds doesn't mean I'm looking at the road. It is an illusion of a safety feature, at best.

If I'm watching the road as I should be, then the nag decreases safety. If I'm not watching as I should, then the nag simply doesn't increase safety. Either way there's no benefit.

I doubt anyone ever has seen the nag, put their book down and went, "Phew... that was close!".

Could defeating the nag cause a sense of false security? Mmm... ok, maybe for a new owner that hasn't seen how the nag/AP works. I suppose if you defeat it from day 1 you might think all is good in the world of Musk.

But by your logic, the nag isn't enough. AP should just be disabled. 20 or 30 seconds (or 2) of distraction is far and away enough time to kill someone.

To be clear, I'm not at all advocating that anyone should be using AP with their attention not being on the road. But I I'm also not advocating a Nanny state where it is assumed the driver isn't paying attention.

Last edited:
The nag does not force one to focus on the road. Like, at all. The opposite is true... it does force you to periodically take focus off the road as your attention is drawn to the nag. Wiggling the wheel every few seconds doesn't mean I'm looking at the road. It is an illusion of a safety feature, at best.

If I'm watching the road as I should be, then the nag decreases safety. If I'm not watching as I should, then the nag simply doesn't increase safety. Either way there's no benefit.

I doubt anyone ever has seen the nag, put their book down and went, "Phew... that was close!".

Could defeating the nag cause a sense of false security? Mmm... ok, maybe for a new owner that hasn't seen how the nag/AP works. I suppose if you defeat it from day 1 you might think all is good in the world of Musk.

But by your logic, the nag isn't enough. AP should just be disabled. 20 or 30 seconds (or 2) of distraction is far and away enough time to kill someone.

To be clear, I'm not at all advocating that anyone should be using AP with their attention but being in the road. But I I'm also not advocating a Nanny state where it is assumed the driver isn't paying attention.
I gotta agree. My P3D's nag has been totally inoperative since it's last service visit and i've 100% had less issues since its one less thing on my mind. I also don't drive while drowsy or otherwise impaired so there's that..

Please pm me if there was some secret handshake (involving a $20 bill lol) that got them to do that!

Or... was your visit to upgrade the FSD computer? I've still got 2.5 so maybe the new computer doesn't nag as bad?
Nope totally random!
Went in for a control arm and alignment, Came out with no nag.
A bum steering wheel sensor? Who knows, but i'm letting sleeping dogs lie.

just roll your volume wheel or speed wheel if you don't want to tug your steering wheel. The nags are more frequent on state roads and local roads vs. interstate highways.
I did only recently discover that was an option, but it doesn't really address anything. It is the nag itself that's the main problem, not the manner of clearing it. I would not know about the types of roads you're talking about, as I'm not in the USA. Tesla (somewhat understandably) doesn't do the greatest job with non-US nuances. For example, navigate on AP works on precisely one route near me, and it randomly changes lanes "to stay on route" when there is no reason to do so (I mean in the middle of a long straight stretch of road with no exits, etc.)

Reactions: ElectricIAC
The nags are lawyer-driven, not designer driven and not even safety driven. They are 100% "cover my ass". It makes absolutely no sense (unless I'm missing something) to have a "safety feature" that says, "psst... hey, hey you... look over here! Yeah, down here... take your eyes off the road a sec so you can read this message down here. NO SERIOUSLY, LOOK HERE. I really do find it takes my eyes off the road, which is exactly what I shouldn't be doing.

I believe you are wrong. You overstate the issue of taking your eye off the road. It takes a fraction of a second, quicker than looking into your rear view mirrors. Yes, lawyer driven, but for your safety. Is it annoying? Yes; but for a good reason.

I agree they don't have to... but they do. I'll accept that maybe it's just me or a portion of people. But it really does distract me. I keep my eyes on the road, but I also keep my hands on the wheel. If the sensors were more sensitive, I wouldn't have an issue. But they aren't, and I do.

I guess it depends on the person/situation. For me, there is no "good reason" for the nag to be there.