Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any hacks to avoid 40 min charge limit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems no matter where I go, Tesla is imposing a 40 minute charge limit. So that brings me up to around 250-270 miles of range of my P100D Raven which could charge significantly more.

I'm curious, if I leave and come back in 30 minutes or something, will Tesla allow me to charge again? Or in the same day?

I'm on vacation and away from home, so I am tending to drive around 150-200 miles per day. Which means I have to literally charge every.. single.. day :/

Are there any hacks I should know about? Lol

It seems no matter where I go, Tesla is imposing a 40 minute charge limit. So that brings me up to around 250-270 miles of range of my P100D Raven which could charge significantly more.

I'm curious, if I leave and come back in 30 minutes or something, will Tesla allow me to charge again? Or in the same day?

I'm on vacation and away from home, so I am tending to drive around 150-200 miles per day. Which means I have to literally charge every.. single.. day :/

Experiment and report in this forum. If you can't exceed 40 minutes at Supercharger station A, maybe you can continue charging at Supercharger station B, if there's one in the area. Let us know what you find out. Good luck.

Since you are from Florida, and you didn't say where you were vacationing, to us you could be charging in Florida. This could be a restrictive policy implemented by Tesla to insure as many people in the general hurricane area can juice up without the interference of people that hang around being discourteous during a "situation". Could be.

Reactions: mrElbe
40 min charge limit? Where have you seen this? I am truly curious as I have never seen any time limit on charging.
This would be extremely inconvenient if it were the case. I would hate to be traveling long distances and have my supercharging limited in any way

Are you referring to the 80% charge limit at busy superchargers? That can be bypassed by manually raising your car to 100%

No directed at OP but if congested my position is if you don’t need it just unplug and go to help with congestion

OP, does you vacation place have charging or even a 120v outside? I’ve been fine on babacation and using 120v

Let's see. Tesla has asked nicely not to charge past 40 minutes. You've been brought up to 250-270, more than many of the other cars hold at max. Driving 150-200 miles daily is a lot for a vacation, but whatever.

Maybe abide by the request?

Maybe instead of trying to charge past the 80% level and hogging the Supercharger, try one of the many other chargers in Florida.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ole Capt and ESoCal
Let's see. Tesla has asked nicely not to charge past 40 minutes. You've been brought up to 250-270, more than many of the other cars hold at max. Driving 150-200 miles daily is a lot for a vacation, but whatever.

Maybe abide by the request?

Maybe instead of trying to charge past the 80% level and hogging the Supercharger, try one of the many other chargers in Florida.

If there are open chargers and no line, no one is inconvenienced. How many Wawas can you visit? However, there is a very nice coffee shop at the Port Orange stop that I make sure to frequent.

Physical signs don't actually unplug you, they're there to remind you there might be others waiting in line. If there are, continue charging 250-270 miles farther down the road. If there aren't people waiting for you to move, continue charging right where you are. You spend less time charging by hopping between chargers in the sweet spot of the battery than you do waiting for the top to fill up any way.

Physical signs don't actually unplug you, they're there to remind you there might be others waiting in line. If there are, continue charging 250-270 miles farther down the road. If there aren't people waiting for you to move, continue charging right where you are. You spend less time charging by hopping between chargers in the sweet spot of the battery than you do waiting for the top to fill up any way.

Unless you're headed some place off the Supercharger network...

Bruce.

Ok a lot of people are saying I can just stay longer than 40 min if I need the range. I’m a Tesla newbie. The app warns me that I can incur a fee of $1/minute if I don’t disconnect from the charger.

1) Is this BS or does Tesla actually impose this fee?

2) the app appears to “disconnect” the charge when it says charging complete after 40 min. Is this also untrue?

Ok a lot of people are saying I can just stay longer than 40 min if I need the range. I’m a Tesla newbie. The app warns me that I can incur a fee of $1/minute if I don’t disconnect from the charger.

2) the app appears to “disconnect” the charge when it says charging complete after 40 min. Is this also untrue?

Etiquette is to get the charge you need and leave if the supercharger is almost full or people are waiting. Otherwise, see this:

Supercharger Idle Fee
"Idle fees apply to any car occupying a Supercharger if the station is at least 50% full and the charge session is complete. Idle fee rates double when the station is 100% occupied."

I read that to mean if you're the only car at a Supercharger you could stay connected at 100% without incurring any idle fees.

Did you check to see what your Charge Limit is set? It's on the big screen when you click on the Charge icon. It may be set to 70 or 80%. The charging will stop once it hits that percentage.

We drove to LA and back to SF this weekend. I think every supercharger along the way gave us the "high usage" message, and when we plugged in the system set our limit down to 80%. You could then go and bump it back up manually. We were very conscious of getting out in 40 minutes or so (we have an S-75D) . Only once was someone waiting, but once we did get the final spot at a 20 bay charger.

As others have said the 40 minutes was posted on signs, but there didn't appear to be any enforced shutoffs.

Our record charge level was 148 kW.

• Informative
Reactions: drew.c

It is definitely true. You will get charged idle fees. The add can only stop charging, you are still plugged in and will get idle fees.

Unless you're headed some place off the Supercharger network...

Bruce.
Or the supercharger network is not designed well for travel on certain interstate corridors. I-26 would be an example. Superchargers are placed on intersecting interstates requiring significant detours. Sometimes it is faster to stay and charge to avoid a long detour.

I'm not sure why you need to charge up more than 250 mi anyway. I usually need to stop sooner than that while on vacation anyway. When we drove across country, we stopped about every hour or hour and a half to stretch our legs and go to the restroom. We would stop at a supercharger even if it wasn't recommended on the map. Then when we stopped, by the time we walked to a restroom, and maybe got a snack, we had more than enough juice to continue our trip. Most of the stops we made were never more than 10-20 min.
Maybe you just need to stop a little more frequently and then you'll always have enough juice to travel on.

If you're on vacation can you stay at hotels with destination chargers so that you'll have a full tank when you leave in the morning.

Last edited: