Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Hardcore Car Enthusiast Out Here? I Have Questions About Going to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A better plan is to ditch the cranky X5M and buy a MY P.
‘I went from an X5 3.0D Msport to a MY LR , and `I don’t miss the X5 at all !

Perhaps I miss the fabulous split tailgate, but that’s it.

I had a X5D, and also a X3 M40. Depending on the options the OP has on their X5M, its likely it "drives a lot better than" a Model Y P. Dont get me wrong, I really like the Model Y P I got for my wife in march of this year, but the one thing it doesnt do as well as the X3 M40 it replaced, is handle canyon carving.

Our X3 was fully loaded, with every option BMW offers for an X3 factory ordered, except for the tow hitch. With the adaptive suspension the X3 had, when placed into sport mode (or the customizable suspension / throttle setting you could do if desired), the X3 drove a lot better than the Model Y P we have now.

Note it wasnt faster in a straight line, but much less body roll, etc. My wife doesnt care about any of that, and I decided I didnt care either since the model Y is her car. I figured if it bothered me a ton later, I would do something with the suspension.

Its likely that the OPs X5M drives a lot better than a model Y P, and I would agree with them on their current desire to replace their daily driver with a model 3 vs replacing the X5M with a model Y.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I did do CarMax 24 hour test drive with the BMW i3 REX but it that's all I needed to see didn't have enough range for me.
Note that the BMW i3 came in various ranges. The non-ReX could have as little as 82 miles of EPA range or as much as 153 miles of EPA range. The ReX's EV range varies from 72 to 126 miles of EPA range.

If you do get an i3, the 2019 or newer non-ReX with 153 miles of EPA range is probably the best version to get.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Hey I love your channel! I found you because I was feeding my hype with the Type R a while back. I'm coming from a 2021 FK8 as well, and have since replaced it with a Model 3 Performance. Have also had an FRS, BRZ (2 of them), and a Cayman so I typically am more used to cars that are focused on driver feel and engagement. I'm in a different situation wherein I only have space for 1 car so I had to get something that does everything, but a big factor for me was also the rising gas prices. It just started taking away my love for just going out for a drive. Every time I got into the Type R to hoon around in the canyons I would worry about having to fill up afterwards.

Speaking of canyons in the M3P compared to the Type R though, yes you're going to miss that 6 speed stick, it's the second best feeling shifter in the market after Porsche's manuals. You'll also feel more body roll but I think that's to be expected considering the Type R was designed for more track duty than luxury (and as mentioned above, coilovers can fix this). Having said that, I actually find that the M3P isn't any less fun than the Type R. I enjoyed the turbo noises the car made, but with the M3P you get the electric motor whine on acceleration and personally the silence in the cabin just makes me hyperfocus on what the car's doing as I drive; instead of feeling the slickness of the stick as I row through them, I'm trying to get the perfect modulation with the throttle as I balance the regenerative braking with adding acceleration coming out of the corner. It's still fun and engaging, but it's a different kind of fun compared to an ICE car since you don't get that aural feedback anymore. Also makes it a little scarier because instead of thinking "this is a 2nd gear corner", I'm thinking "I need to take this at 57mph or I go flying off that cliff". I can't wait until summer is over so I can take the M3P to the track!

Definitely go with the Performance though. The suspension isn't any stiffer now for the newer cars compared to the Long Range, but you still get track mode and the faster acceleration is just unreal (in a higher state of charge). My gf has a long range and I can safely say I wouldn't have traded the Type R in if I didn't take a 24hr Carmax test drive with a Performance trim.

I recently got the car back from getting PPF and tint, and though I have different percentages on mine, for 35% the white interior pokes out like whiteout on black paint still. 5% hides it though.

Do I miss the Type R? Undeniably. Do I regret my decision as a car enthusiast? No, and I’m happy I made the switch. I still wish it was a hatchback though.

8883B9B0-0788-46BA-8D7E-3D7A09DE2D1E.jpeg

5EBACC1B-1FD8-4D07-B74D-86B61682BD63.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey I love your channel! I found you because I was feeding my hype with the Type R a while back. I'm coming from a 2021 FK8 as well, and have since replaced it with a Model 3 Performance. Have also had an FRS, BRZ (2 of them), and a Cayman so I typically am more used to cars that are focused on driver feel and engagement. I'm in a different situation wherein I only have space for 1 car so I had to get something that does everything, but a big factor for me was also the rising gas prices. It just started taking away my love for just going out for a drive. Every time I got into the Type R to hoon around in the canyons I would worry about having to fill up afterwards.

Speaking of canyons in the M3P compared to the Type R though, yes you're going to miss that 6 speed stick, it's the second best feeling shifter in the market after Porsche's manuals. You'll also feel more body roll but I think that's to be expected considering the Type R was designed for more track duty than luxury (and as mentioned above, coilovers can fix this). Having said that, I actually find that the M3P isn't any less fun than the Type R. I enjoyed the turbo noises the car made, but with the M3P you get the electric motor whine on acceleration and personally the silence in the cabin just makes me hyperfocus on what the car's doing as I drive; instead of feeling the slickness of the stick as I row through them, I'm trying to get the perfect modulation with the throttle as I balance the regenerative braking with adding acceleration coming out of the corner. It's still fun and engaging, but it's a different kind of fun compared to an ICE car since you don't get that aural feedback anymore. Also makes it a little scarier because instead of thinking "this is a 2nd gear corner", I'm thinking "I need to take this at 57mph or I go flying off that cliff". I can't wait until summer is over so I can take the M3P to the track!

Definitely go with the Performance though. The suspension isn't any stiffer now for the newer cars compared to the Long Range, but you still get track mode and the faster acceleration is just unreal (in a higher state of charge). My gf has a long range and I can safely say I wouldn't have traded the Type R in if I didn't take a 24hr Carmax test drive with a Performance trim.

I recently got the car back from getting PPF and tint, and though I have different percentages on mine, for 35% the white interior pokes out like whiteout on black paint still. 5% hides it though.
Could not have said it better.

Reactions: tm1v2
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I browsed a lot on the solar section but this is my first time here in the automotive. I, like many people have felt the hit to my wallet from the increase of fuel cost. I currently have a F80 BMW M3 which I love and track weekend car, F85 X5M is my fun family hauler, and FK8 Civic Type R which serves as my fun commuter car. I never thought I would own an EV because I like hearing my engine and the part of driving is connecting with the car. That has changed, I'm spending $160 a week in gas cost to run the Civic Type R to work daily. I live 45 miles away from work so you can see why I'm considering the Tesla Model 3. I shopped the BMW i4 the price gets up there once you start adding the driver assistance options, and creature comforts that the Tesla model 3 comes with. I figured with the BMW you're going to pay more more driving experience. Plus the main selling point for the Tesla is their exclusive supercharging network. If I'm low on a charge I can easily fine one and top off.

The Tesla would replace the Type R because that's my commuter car. On the flip side I still have the, M3 and X5M for fun but most of my driving will be spent in the commuter car which is why I like it to be fun and somewhat playful.

I recently placed an order for a Tesla Model 3 Long Range because I'm trying to do the practical thing and not get Performance. 4.2 0-60 is nearly a second faster than the Type R but I go back and forth if I should upgrade to Performance, but I read that the Long Range and Performance are similar from a roll anyway. Tesla rep says you won't get out of a Long Range and think it's not enough
With either model, I'm afraid I will get the car and get bored with it. The Civic is fun because it's a manual and the gears keep me busy, it takes freeway onramps like it's on rails.

I did do CarMax 24 hour test drive with the BMW i3 REX but it that's all I needed to see didn't have enough range for me. I contacted Tesla dealer and was going to schedule a test drive back in late 2020 but called. My previous vehicles have been 2010 Mercedes C63 AMG with the 6.2 V8, Lexus IS-F, Mini Cooper JCW, Civic Si, and 3000GT VR-4. You can see I have a huge love and passion for all cars, and EV's have my curiosity but I'm still wondering what ownership is like after the first month or so then instant acceleration gets old.

I rented a 2018 Model 3 Performance from Turo and it felt amazing quick, I followed up with a 2021 Model 3 Performance a few months later and it didn't as feel as quick as the 2018. It fell on it's face after 80mph. (Still better than the i3 which ran out of oomph after 40mph) Is that a normal thing or did the 2021 get some update that made the power feel less punchy.
Also, I recently rented a Model S Plaid for a week and was comfortable with air suspension but it's too much money, the car is bigger than I would like and honestly, Plaid mode was crazy, I love my speed but it's more than I could use in real world other than a drag strip. You can see I keep dipping my toes in the water but I can't jump in.

What is charging like? My home is pre wired for EV but I have 4kw solar on the roof and 1 single Tesla Powerwall 2. Would it also be worth it to increase the size of my solar system to offset the cost of charging? I have a PG&E on EV2-A Rate because of the Powerwall

My last question: I typically get 15%- 20% of ceramic window tint on my cars for aesthetics, IR rejection, and privacy. How is tinting with white interior? Do the color of the seats still poke out through 15% tint?
Thanks for reading and hopefully some car people that converted over to EV can chime in. I know I will miss the manual of the Type R for sure!
Hey there, former C63 AMG owner as well along all the JDM madness years ago from A-Z, including the CTR and ITR.

There is a lot of great feedback here and here's my take, which is the route that I'm going.

I have a M3P on order for daily & straight line fun and plan to get the new Elantra N for a weekend track car, which is arguably the best out of the box track ready car in that segment. It comes with a manual transmission as well, along with a really good DCT.

The growing aftermarket for it is exciting. Even now with the tunes that are available, it'll blow your mind what the Elantra N is achieving in its class. Knocks the socks off of everything head to head for the money.

Having been there and done that with the typical hondas and acuras, it's boring to me now. It had its time, which is long gone now getting surpassed by VW and Hyundai. It's a whole new era now. It (jdm stuff) was fun while it lasted, but now I'm even more excited with the new formula of going with the M3P and Elantra N.

Having that balance of having an ICE (~$30k) and an EV (~$65k), in my opinion allows you to enjoy both ends of the spectrum, without giving up the joy of burning that dyno fuel with the rumbles.

Even if I needed one car, I'd rather have this combo than going with one model S for example.

I think you'd be happy with the M3P.

Reactions: Lephturn
If the car had under 100 miles of range left, it absolutely would have neutered the acceleration some. That, or the weather, or how warm the battery was, etc. The 2018 and 2021 have the same specs (but the 2021 could have had a slightly larger battery, and by slightly I mean perhaps 5-6 kW
Both were in the summer time. It guess it makes sense because the 2021 felt good until I was traveling. I sped up to pass a left lane camper (Infiniti Q50 S) and he tried to speed up and I thought…this will be good when I use the Tesla’s instant acceleration. We I apporached 80…I really felt it taper off and I thought hmm…this car isn‘t as strong as the other one, not taking into consideration of the charge status.
A better plan is to ditch the cranky X5M and buy a MY P.
‘I went from an X5 3.0D Msport to a MY LR , and `I don’t miss the X5 at all !

Perhaps I miss the fabulous split tailgate, but that’s it.
I’ve considered that but I need the towing capacity.
I'm a driving enthusiastic and former track day enthusiast, so I'll throw my 2c in. Never owned a BMW but I've driven a decent number over the years, various versions of E36, E36/7, E46, E60, E90, E92, F30 including some M cars (E36, E60, E90). Oh, and an i3. :)

First things first, I agree there's no better daily driver so long as you can charge at home, which it sounds like you can. Fast and fun, yet quiet and relaxing - nothing does both of those together better than a good sporty EV. And waking up to a charged car every morning, never having to stop to fill up in daily driving, is priceless. Plus no worrying about carefully warming up an engine or smelling the exhaust while it's cold. And you can chill out with your baby or dog or yourself napping with the A/C on but no engine fumes. The list goes on...suffice to say, I have zero desire to ever go back to gasoline/ICE for a daily driver. A good EV is way better in that role.

Performance vs LR...look at your car history. Get the Performance, this should be an easy choice for you. :) Yes the LR is surely quick enough, and yes they pull the same at highway+ speeds. But you'll probably want the P's Track Mode even if you never take it to the track. Track Mode is the only official way to dial back the nannies. If you want to put the power down coming out of turns/ramps, you need Track Mode. If you want the freedom to slide either or both ends of the car as you wish, you need Track Mode. Etc. All of its 3 major settings are useful for fast/hard driving on the street. I doubt you'll want to commute in Track Mode daily, but I think you'll be glad to have it available.

The comments about the stock suspension are on point though. It's soft and very poorly dampened from the factory. Taking freeway ramps like you're on rails? Not happening with the stock suspension. It's loose and unsettled with terrible mid-corner response. Let's not even talk about how out of control it can get trying to drive fast on twisty, bumpy, uneven back roads. But a good set of coilovers, plus front lower control arm bearings, completely transforms the handling and responsiveness. That will absolutely give you the locked in handling you want. Do those at a minimum. If you want and have budget you can also go to town upgrading all the other control arms with their accompanying bushings.

You will always feel the 4000 lbs weight, but you will also feel how low and centered and well-balanced the weight is, especially once you fix up the suspension. It's almost like a heavy but well balanced mid engine sports car. After upgrading the suspension, this thing honestly handles better than any 4 door ICE car I've ever driven.

You really don't need to lower this car btw! Stock height is probably better for handling over nasty real world roads anyways. The reason to go straight for coilovers is there aren't really any good standalone / fixed perch aftermarket dampers options for this car. All of the really good damper upgrades are coilover kits.

Side note: Apparently older Model 3's (LR or P, doesn't really matter) had stiffer suspension tuning from the factory. Not sure how much better, it's been too long since I drove one and it was a very brief casual drive. Newer ones, approximately 2021+, are quite soft though with really crappy damping.

Power drop off with low state of charge...yup it's a thing. From what I've read the new S holds power really well into lower states of charge, so it's not surprising you didn't notice this with your Plaid rental. (Plus it's starting with such an excess of power.) Hopefully that will trickle down to the 3 at some point. I don't think the 3's power loss at low SoC will be an issue for your daily driving though!
Thats a lot of good information and one thing I didn’t take into consideration is the “warm up”. I’m on call for a hospital, and responding for emergencies in the middle of the night without having to warm up the engine is a huge plus.

That's how I got into my first EV - the monthly cost of gas for commuting (~10 years ago, mind you) was greater than my lease payment on the first EV (i3).

Tesla makes great commuter cars!

Good call.
I kept my F80 as well, and still enjoy driving it way more than TM3P.

Performance is more fun than LR, and for not much more money.
Yes, you will likely get bored with both, but it will take a bit longer with TM3P.
Interior creature comforts are equally sub-par in both. Plastic seats and steering wheel suck during the summers and the winters, but at least you can heat them in the winter.

Power is positively correlated to the battery State of Charge (SoC).
That's something that is not publicly disclosed by Tesla.

~90% charging at home for me, L2 EVSE straight off the grid for $0.14/kWh. No solar panels, as those don't make financial sense in NJ.
~8% charging at work. For free, but the $$ amounts involved are hardly worth the bother.
~2% of the time I get ripped off when using Tesla's SuperCharging network.

HTH,
a

Well I bought the Type R for commuting because I was spending $1200 a month in fuel with the F85.
I'll weight both options and see if I can put the Performance in the budget. I'm might have to give up on color choice and go with white with black interior to lower the cost.

I wish there was a way to know what the power decrease is like with a lower SoC. I don't think it's realistic to be able to run at 80-100% all the time.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone! It solidifies my choice to keep my order and I'll see if it's possible to change to the Performance model if wifey approves. It actually makes me excited to join the Tesla car community, my ignorance had me thinking there wouldn't be many 'car people' here!
Today I left for work in the Civic Type R. Looked at my fuel gauge and saw I had a just over 1/4 tank. I told myself, alright, I'll get to work and make sure to fill up when I leave. After a long shift, I forgot I needed to refuel before I headed home with 30 miles remaining on that tank. Instantly thought to myself... the convince of having an EV is right there. I didn't feel like stopping to fuel again this week. It was one of those days where you wanted to just get home!

I had a X5D, and also a X3 M40. Depending on the options the OP has on their X5M, its likely it "drives a lot better than" a Model Y P. Dont get me wrong, I really like the Model Y P I got for my wife in march of this year, but the one thing it doesnt do as well as the X3 M40 it replaced, is handle canyon carving.

Our X3 was fully loaded, with every option BMW offers for an X3 factory ordered, except for the tow hitch. With the adaptive suspension the X3 had, when placed into sport mode (or the customizable suspension / throttle setting you could do if desired), the X3 drove a lot better than the Model Y P we have now.

Note it wasnt faster in a straight line, but much less body roll, etc. My wife doesnt care about any of that, and I decided I didnt care either since the model Y is her car. I figured if it bothered me a ton later, I would do something with the suspension.

Its likely that the OPs X5M drives a lot better than a model Y P, and I would agree with them on their current desire to replace their daily driver with a model 3 vs replacing the X5M with a model Y.

I have a 2016 X5M Donnington Grey with Muguello Red full merino leather has S63Tu Twin Turbo V8, an the M torque vectoring differential, B&O sound system and stage 1 tune on it. It's a nice car to have but $135 to fill up is expensive. I told my wife she should get a Model Y P but she isn't convinced on EV yet. She drives a C63 Cabriolet but soon to be replaced by an X3 M40i if our dealer ever receives his allocations.. We've been waiting for 3 months and now production has shifted to 2023...This is after she spent 3 months dealing with Audi trying to order an SQ5.
I can't wait for her to get the X3 M40i but I wouldn't be upset if she opted for a Model Y P!

Note that the BMW i3 came in various ranges. The non-ReX could have as little as 82 miles of EPA range or as much as 153 miles of EPA range. The ReX's EV range varies from 72 to 126 miles of EPA range.

If you do get an i3, the 2019 or newer non-ReX with 153 miles of EPA range is probably the best version to get.
I should have clarified. This was a 2018 i3 S with range extender with the 94AH battery.
I spend so much time on the highway and I feel that car was more suited for city driving.

I had an MS6, Evo, STI, and 335i before my M3P. This car would smash all of them up to any legal speed all while costing pennies to operate.

Downside is this car is not flashy. No one will ask you about it, no one will even try to run you on the street cause they know they'll get wrecked. This is the only car I've ever had that is 100% stock lol.

I think with driving fast, I want to fly under the radar. Your comment made me laugh about people don't mess with Tesla because they know they'll get wrecked. I had an interesting conversation I told someone a few week ago when I said my car is fast and they asked, you must drive a Tesla! Not Corvette or Camaro etc she went right to Tesla lol

Do I miss the Type R? Undeniably. Do I regret my decision as a car enthusiast? No, and I’m happy I made the switch. I still wish it was a hatchback though.
Oh thanks for watching! You're like me! Just got a 2021 Type R!
After 7,000 miles, I hate to get rid of it so soon! The handling with the R is just unreal for a FWD car, it hands down will give my M3 a run for it's money in the corners. I think if I keep the M3, can take it out for fun! I have the DCT in that car so not quiet as engaging as the FK8 in that regard, but driving experience is similar. The FK8 definitely will hold a special place as one of my favorite cars! The CarMax 24hr test drive is one the best things, It's either going to be a definite yes or no after the 24 hours!

No car today regardless the price is perfect, whether QC or intended design, its what you are willing to accept.
I agree that no car is perfect, but I disagree that no car today is perfect in terms of QC. You’ll never hear about Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai/Kia (the list goes on) having such egregious and noticeable panel gaps, interior panel fitment issues, paint problems, etc at delivery. Sure, things may occur later…but from the legacy automakers, their cars are generally perfect at delivery. For us Tesla fans, we’ve just come to accept these issues as normal when they’re not normal and should not exist.
If I could’ve kept the M3 I would’ve gotten a LR and saved the $8k.
Would you please elaborate? I have an M3LR on order but everyday I lean more toward upgrading to the M3P.
If you get an i3, get a 2019 model or newer because it had the largest battery (120Ah with ~150 miles of range). I recommend against an i3 Range Extender (“Rex”) because it still requires the maintenance of a ICE and there have been some documented issues/reliability that the non-Rex i3 didn’t have.

Later i3 models also came in an “S” version, i.e., i3S, which included wider tires, lower suspension, fender flares (lol), and a sport mode (lol). It’s more aesthetic than performance, but it’s cool nonetheless.

Reactions: unlock and afadeev
I agree that no car is perfect, but I disagree that no car today is perfect in terms of QC. You’ll never hear about Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai/Kia (the list goes on) having such egregious and noticeable panel gaps, interior panel fitment issues, paint problems, etc at delivery. Sure, things may occur later…but from the legacy automakers, their cars are generally perfect at delivery. For us Tesla fans, we’ve just come to accept these issues as normal when they’re not normal and should not exist.

Would you please elaborate? I have an M3LR on order but everyday I lean more toward upgrading to the M3P.

If you get an i3, get a 2019 model or newer because it had the largest battery (120Ah with ~150 miles of range). I recommend against an i3 Range Extender (“Rex”) because it still requires the maintenance of a ICE and there have been some documented issues/reliability that the non-Rex i3 didn’t have.

Later i3 models also came in an “S” version, i.e., i3S, which included wider tires, lower suspension, fender flares (lol), and a sport mode (lol). It’s more aesthetic than performance, but it’s cool nonetheless.
M3 LR with accel boost is practically the same car as a M3P. You don’t need the big brakes on an EV. You can change out the suspension, get new wheels, spoiler and pedals for much less than $8k. I’ll probably never use track mode. I just didn’t want to bother with modding.

M3 LR with accel boost is practically the same car as a M3P. You don’t need the big brakes on an EV. You can change out the suspension, get new wheels, spoiler and pedals for much less than $8k. I’ll probably never use track mode. I just didn’t want to bother with modding.
I agree.

The main thing steering me away from the M3P and keeping my M3LR order are the 20” Uber turbine wheels. I prefer the ride comfort of the 18” Aeros and it’s a significantly less expensive tire. If I could option the M3P without the 20” wheels then it’d be more compelling.

That and I’ll opt for the acceleration boost on the M3LR

The cost of the coilovers alone is much less than $8k, but once you factor in upper control arms, bushings, any rear arms, plus install cost a complete suspension overhaul is between $5-10k depending on how many parts you want to replace. Just the MPP Sport coilovers and UPP upper control arms alone is almost $5k in parts.

The cost of the coilovers alone is much less than $8k, but once you factor in upper control arms, bushings, any rear arms, plus install cost a complete suspension overhaul is between $5-10k depending on how many parts you want to replace. Just the MPP Sport coilovers and UPP upper control arms alone is almost $5k in parts.
But does the M3P have a suspension upgrade over the M3LR?

Guys … a few observations;

(i) 19 inch aero covers are vile (I have them on my MY) every time I look at my car, or wash it … I kick myself

(ii) the ride comfort is no different with the 20inch wheels

(iii) as many have said above , you don’t need the red (model P ) upgraded brakes on an EV !
It’s quite hard to even put the carbon a position where you need to brake, on a public road.

(iv) beware the P models if you have a steep driveway ! The approach/departure angles are significantly better on a LR 😂

(iv) Get the white seats ! They impress.

(v) forget about coilover mods and similar crap….You don’t need them (unless you are Max Verstappen) and you don’t want to screw up an 8 year warranty do you ?

I consider myself somewhat qualified to answer. Definitely a car enthusiast that (prior to the P3D) never owned anything but manual cars. This is what I was driving (daily) prior to getting my Tesla:

IMG_3096.jpg

You asked 3 things. Transitioning from a manual car for daily commutes and losing the 'fun', charging at home, and tint. I don't know anything about tint so I'll leave that to someone else.

1) Transitioning. While I definitely sometimes miss driving a manual, and miss the sound and experience associated with driving a 911, I absolutely love taking trips in my model 3. More often than not when I'm trying to get from point A to point B I just want a car that's comfortable and does the work for you. Traffic isn't fun with a manual. With the model 3 if you have some open road or an on ramp you can punch it and immediately get slammed into your seat. It handles corners well for a car of its size and weight. But, when you don't want to be bothered with driving you click the stalk twice and the car drives for you. Amazing for highway driving or stop and go traffic. It sounds like you have a few other cars for when you want to go to the track or go out on a weekend and tool around - so for your commute this is a no brainer in my opinion. You did mention picking Tesla over BMW because of super chargers - I would (and did) pick Telsa over BMW but not for that reason. Charging is not an issue 99% of the time and if your commute is 40 or so miles each way you'll never need to charge anywhere but home.

2) Which brings me to your second question of charging. It's cheap compared to gas. I estimate my car costs about 3-4 cents per mile in electricity to use and I drive with a very heavy foot. It's like $30/month for the amount I drive. Not worth even worrying about and certainly not enough to justify installing solar (although solar is cool and if you want it go for it).

Anyway best of luck with your purchase!

A) +1 for a Tesla being a good commuter car
B) +1 for the suspension team should be beaten with sticks, and told to never come anywhere near a car again. Its, probably, the worst suspension on a modern car. Bizarrely bad, Tesla should be forced to have a mandatory recall over it bad, the car is unsafe over 100MPH bad, of all of Musk's crazy stunts, calling it a suspension is the worst, bad.
C) Don't bother with tracking it, etc. Anyone who does is either a fanboy, or never drove a real sports car. I mean, I took my Cadillac Sedan DeVill around a track as a joke, 20+ years ago, and a Tesla could do that - but probably not handle it as well, given the suspension.
D) Teslas do have good brakes, though.

@paradoxical You only need camber adjustable arms if you're lowering or doing race-y stuff (track days, autox). Keep the car at or close to stock height on your coilovers and your camber will be just fine for street use. (Source: That's my setup.)

Lowering would be strictly worse for street use anyways, including handling. At least for the roads anywhere I've ever lived! Running out of compression travel isn't good handling. :)

(Yes I'm sure lowering can be beneficial for racetrack or autox use where there aren't normally big mid-corner bumps and dips!)

Last edited:
But does the M3P have a suspension upgrade over the M3LR?
@phaheem What @paradoxical wrote (quoted below) is 100% correct. Even for 2021 when the M3P still officially had a "lowered suspension" any handling difference was barely noticable...really not noticable at all.

Tesla was being truthful when they called the M3P suspension lower, not better or high performance, literally just (slightly) lower. 99% of the M3P's handling difference vs M3LR was just the stock tires.

The height difference was small too. When an M3P with the "lowered suspension" is parked next to an M3LR you can tell the M3P is lower, but it's pretty subtle otherwise.

So basically don't sweat it whether or not a new 2022 M3P comes with the lowered suspension. It doesn't matter, the difference was minimal in every way. If you wanted better handling the lowered suspension wasn't it, and if you wanted the look of a lowered car it wasn't that either.

So I get why Tesla seems to have discontinued it, though of course I wish instead they'd improved it to be an actual sports suspension.

If it does, it's barely noticeable and still needs upgrading. Its the biggest annoyance about my M3P.

• Helpful
Reactions: phaheem