Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Hardcore Car Enthusiast Out Here? I Have Questions About Going to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You won't pull on a plaid tho.
Who cares, he’s enjoying the driving, not worrying about the clutch, coolant temps, etc.

You just have to think about what’s important to you, like to manage and change fuel maps, weld exhaust? Want to drive and not worry about that stuff? Spend more quality time actually listening to what your kids have to say?

Anyways, just do this and boom, answer like a headshot

A stock Miata is much better at not trying to kill its driver than a viper. Remember the braking issue we all had with that now revered beast? They were flying off tracks everywhere and we didn’t care. Tesla is under braked and now that’s the story rather than Tesla beats 3 million dollar hyper car with tow hook and 3 rows.

Hardcore car enthusiast here. Feel free to DM to set up a phone chat.

Teslas are trash on the track but pure joy on the street and great low-cost commuters.

This seems pretty hyperbolic, and frankly untrue.

I just had a performance driving instructor tell me my moderately race-prepped M3P was one of the most fun cars they had experienced on the track, and that includes various super cars and even their own dedicated track cars.

That said, my recent road coarse experience matched others, using about 35% battery per 20-minute session (including warm-up and cool-down laps). Thus I’d be at around 30% after two solid 20-minute sessions if I started at 100% (I.e. arriving an hour early and topping up on local 240v). I could be back in about an hour and a half with 90% charge again. Alternatively, if there was an hour between each session, that is 30% charge regained without leaving the site, meaning you could just about coast through the last few laps and have to charge a bit locally before leaving.

If I were doing a full 4x20 track day, I would probably do the entire first session in Chill Mode to warm my body up and learn the lines, which would only use 12-15% battery. Charging in between, this would have me starting the second session with about 95%, the third session with about 75%, and the 4th session with about 45%.

It takes a little planning to manage, but this is far from “trash.” Other than the extra thought required for charging, Id venture there are very few 4-door cars out there more capable on a road course without a lot more money in the aftermarket, and a lot less reliability.

Last edited:
I’d put this car against almost anything that can carry 4 people and this much gear (yes, those are golf clubs and that blue bag is a stroller :p ).
99911DC9-0FC1-4595-ACDF-8D647383E12A.jpeg

A few chill laps and donuts before heading back home :D .
D8886E9D-B538-48F8-941F-BD6B95C5AAC0.jpeg

I’d put this car against almost anything that can carry 4 people and this much gear (yes, those are golf clubs and that blue bag is a stroller :p ).
Agree with this 100%. I do miss the sound of the boxer engine and rolling through the gears in my WRX but is there no car that I have found that combines performance, efficiency, and practicality like the P3D.

It is completely docile in daily driving when you want it to be... smooth, comfortable, and responsive. I have my golf clubs and pull cart in the trunk, two tennis rackets, a volleyball, a basketball, and a skateboard in the frunk right now with room to spare. I can take my wife, my kid, and a couple of my kids friends to the park with a cooler in the back, some scooters, and whatever other gear we have with no problem. And it costs 1/3 to 1/4 as much to power as a comparable gas car.

But if I want to drive fast it will hang with anything. It owns almost anything at a stop light and is extremely fast in the 1/4 mile. I rolled up to Virginia Motorsports Park and ran 11.6@118 all night on 20" rims with a trunk full of crap and a child seat in the back. Beat Hemi Challengers, Chargers, Mustangs, Corvettes, M3s, AMGs, all night long. Only car that got me was a modified 911 turbo that ran 10.6@125. As others have demonstrated, it can also be a very good autocross or short track car though tracking it does require some extra planning to keep your charge level high enough.

I recently put MPP coilovers, rear camber arms, and some other parts on my P3D- and now it handles amazing too. I drove it back to back with my friends Ferrari 458 Italia and it did not feel slow in the straight or in the corners. That Ferrari has arguably the greatest NA V8 ever made, and sounded amazing, but my car has better throttle response and nothing exits a corner like the P3D. The P3D really is an amazing automobile it would be hard for me to drive anything else at this point despite the nostalgia I do feel for ICE sport compacts with manual transmissions.

1665515800754.png