Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any help is greatly appreciated with this noise that’s driving me insane!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Service Center apparently fails to reproduce it but it’s very apparent if they try an ounce harder to actually take a test drive. Two visits and they have refused to fix this issue.

I have opened the door panel, put sound absorbing material wherever I thought there may be a wire hitting the metal, without any luck. I also tried removing the screw cap that’s right underneath the door unlock button, without any luck. The sound is driving me crazy. And because it is so high pitched, music fails to dampen it. It’s a 2019 Model 3 with 20k miles on it.

This is NOT a speaker rattle. Speakers are off.

Rattle stops immediately if I gently press on that soft satin like gray material (corner / triangular shape) on the door panel.

Video link: Door rattle

Man that noise would drive me crazy. If you've already tried opening the door panel, I recommend trying to put some rubberized tape or felt tape near where the door panel clips onto the door itself. To me it sounds like one of the clips is slightly rattling in its bracket.

Also you can use a frequency generator app and play it loudly through your speakers to isolate the noise while you're parked. That's how I found a few of the ticking noises and shoved pieces of folded up tape in gaps to eliminate some of the noise

Are you sure that's in the door? I had a rattle like that (although not nearly as bad) and it ended up being in the front speaker grill: top right corner of the dash at the base of the windshield. I popped up the grill with a pry tool and put a piece of foam under it. Gone.

If not, try having a passenger press on various panels to see what makes it go away. I used my umbrella to find my rattle. :)

Mike

Reactions: XPsionic
Are you sure that's in the door? I had a rattle like that (although not nearly as bad) and it ended up being in the front speaker grill: top right corner of the dash at the base of the windshield. I popped up the grill with a pry tool and put a piece of foam under it. Gone.

If not, try having a passenger press on various panels to see what makes it go away. I used my umbrella to find my rattle. :)

Mike
Read the very last part of my original post :)

I am 100% certain it’s the door.

Man that noise would drive me crazy. If you've already tried opening the door panel, I recommend trying to put some rubberized tape or felt tape near where the door panel clips onto the door itself. To me it sounds like one of the clips is slightly rattling in its bracket.

Also you can use a frequency generator app and play it loudly through your speakers to isolate the noise while you're parked. That's how I found a few of the ticking noises and shoved pieces of folded up tape in gaps to eliminate some of the noise
The frequency generator through the speaker doesn’t produce the noise. It’s only the real vibrations of the vehicle on a uniformly rough road does. On perfectly smooth roads, car is whisper quiet.

When you say, “where the door panel clips onto the door itself”, you’re suggesting that I take out the door again, correct? Or you’re saying do this from outside? Just trying to understand.

Reactions: kvanriper
When you say, “where the door panel clips onto the door itself”, you’re suggesting that I take out the door again, correct? Or you’re saying do this from outside? Just trying to understand.
You took the interior door card off before right? I'm saying the clips on the back of the door card where it goes onto the metal frame of the door itself might be rattling. But that's just a guess. You could also try squeezing in some small bits of electrical tape in the gap between the satin material and the rubberized door card material, maybe there's a tiny bit of rubbing in that area causing the ticking noise.

Just guesses though, but if you can isolate the noise by pressing on the door card, the noise is obviously from that interior panel.

Reactions: youngmcdonald
Not yet...

Update: after a few attempts, I reached a conclusion that this specific noise is coming from the speaker grille by the feet of the passenger. This was after me practically taping every loose cable inside that door panel.

I removed the door panel yet again, and observed that right where the speaker grille starts, there’s a gap (by design) between the grille and the other half of the speaker cover. The gap is basically a long straight line. I put a lot of double sided foam tape between that gap. I then noticed that the grille is fitted using three press-fit notches, susceptible to vibration. I cut three pieces of foam tape and put them on top of each of the notches (think reverse U shape) to dampen possibility of any vibrations.

Closed it all up (a clip broke but I thankfully had ordered spare ones so took care of it - be careful not to jam the panel at an angle), and in the last four days, I have not heard the sound. I’ll update the post only if it comes back.

Last edited: