Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any high mileage drivers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was just reading through another post and people were posting they did between 5 and 10k a year.
Was wondering if anyone does near what I do annually, between 23 and 25k?
If so what are your experiences?
My M3 LR is coming on the 1st and I'm having all sorts of second thoughts to whether I've made the right decision or not. Still time to pull out and get another Lexus!

Before COVID I was doing 150miles a day, plus some over the weekend takes me to around 34k miles per annum :confused:

Easy to do in the M3P, and if I drive normal'ish sitting around 75-80mph on the motorway it's doable on a full charge. Did this during the Jan Feb months.

Anything on the fun scale i.e. heavy right foot, then I needed to charge at work.

No real concerns apart from the battery getting hammered, I got a couple of prompts warning over the cold months not to charge to max....

Whats your concern?

Was just reading through another post and people were posting they did between 5 and 10k a year.
My M3 LR is coming on the 1st and I'm having all sorts of second thoughts to whether I've made the right decision or not. Still time to pull out and get another Lexus!
Before lockdown I’d done 10k in my Model 3 in the first six months, so on track for 20k per annum if Covid hadn’t spoilt it! That included holidays in Tenby and Paris. And I’m retired, so no commuting or work mileage.

As long as you charge at home, don’t overdo the rapid charging, and follow the 20-80 rule to look after the battery, you’ll be fine. There’s a guy on YouTube who repairs white goods who does about 45-50k a year in his Model 3.

20-80 rule: Normally keep your charge range between 20% and 80%. Only go lower than 20 or higher than 80 if you really need to. The long range battery makes this easier!

Reactions: Adopado
Absolutely loving it. My car before the M3 was a Lexus. No comparison. Lexus was nice, don't get me wrong, but this is fun on a whole new level. Do I miss the HUD, radar cruise that just worked, most comfortable car seats I've sat in, seat ventilation.... yes, a bit. Nearly three months in, I'm glad I changed.

Annotation 2020-08-04 194423.jpg
Annotation 2020-08-04 194633.jpg

without COVID I would have been at a solid 20K for this year. but I would have done that almost entirely on journeys that were within my LR's range and I have charging at home and at work.
If I was doing a lot of longer journeys and had no off street parking and no charging at work it would be a very different proposition in terms of the level of inconvenience.
In my case I am trading never having to go to a petrol station against half a dozen trips to a supercharger a year.
So it depends on lots of factors as to whether its a good idea for you. not just total mileage. EV ownership at this point in time may well be less convenient than ICE for many people. Its a questions of your individual circumstances and whether you are willing to trade at bit of convenience for the benefits ( like saving a load of cash) and being part of the solution rather than part of the problem :)

I'm usually 22-25k p/a (vivid slowed this down abit, but am starting using alot more again, had sr+ since nov and no issues, I do usually charge to 90% (think this was stated as being ok) but usually back home to plug in way before getting below 30%ish, just keep it charged just in case.

Actually just taken the aero caps off and done just over 100mile trip, and averaged 210wh/m, but there was alot of 50mph areas, but am impress as haven't really noticed the removal of the aeros from my range.

Sold my August 2019 SR+ with 21,700 miles and purchased a LR AWD. Carvana giving buying SR+ at high prices made the sale of my old car bearable (bought @ $38,990, sold @ $35).

Considered buying a truck, but just couldn't justify paying for the $200+ monthly fuel cost...and actually having to steer on interstate travel :p

Reactions: ringi
Do it!

SR+ 18k miles in. I'm usually 25k a year

On street parking and no charger at home and not complaining :D

Reactions: Adopado and Roy W.
Remember warranty covers to 50k miles ONLY

Overall over the two cars in our household we do approx 20k miles per year, my wife and I work in Leeds and commute from Doncaster, i've put 20k on this lease as I can see us using Mrs F's car less due to the cost of Fuel compared to electric. We're both key workers and whilst Mrs F can work from home for the majority of the time, mine unfortunately is not as I work for the NHS at the Leeds infirmary. Along with the commute we do a lot of driving to see relatives (pre COVID of course) who are split across the country, I've gone for the M3LR but if Mrs F likes the electric car and wants one for herself, we may look at the Mazda MX-30 when it's released as we both like a Mazda (i've had 2 mazda 6 tourers, Mrs F has has 2 Mazda 2's and currently has a CX-3) and the MX-30 looks like a great second car and if it's just for the commute and odd trip further afield I think it'll be ideal.

Got my LR 3 last December. My then commute was 65 miles so I was expecting to do about 15k miles per year. During May I changed jobs so my current commute is 115 miles. I am expecting now to do 30k miles per year. I am already up to 10.5k miles. No regrets whatsoever. I am using autopilot for about 90% of my commute. Very relaxing (unless it gets spooked by a tractor lol). No issues so far and it will save me a fortune on fuel compared to my previous car.

Thanks for the feedback.
My concerns are:
initial cost, I'll only be able to claim 4p per mile and will have to wait a year for the HMRC difference to kick in to my tax code after self assessment. I used to claim 20p with the Lexus and this helped towards the maintenance.
Warranty, it'll be out of this within 2 years. I know there is less to go wrong but always a worry.
I've 4kw solar panels and waiting on a smart meter so that should be a positive.
Hopefully the driving experience will be a positive too.
My cars have always been tools of work for me and I've always treated them so they cost me very little or even make me money.
The extra this will cost me per month I could pay the mortgage off in 3 years rather than 6. But will I have enjoyed the time, I guess I'll have to find out.

Warranty, it'll be out of this within 2 years. I know there is less to go wrong but always a worry.

From the tesla website :) its not 2 years
  • Model 3 Standard or Standard Range Plus - 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
  • Model 3 Long Range or Performance - 8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
Sorry link here - Vehicle Warranty

From the tesla website :) its not 2 years
  • Model 3 Standard or Standard Range Plus - 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
  • Model 3 Long Range or Performance - 8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
Sorry link here - Vehicle Warranty

That's for the battery - the car itself is 4 years / 50,000 miles - "Your vehicle is covered by a New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first."

I've managed to rack up just short of 11k since end of March this year.

I’m on a 20k mile/year lease for three years. I have been quite picky about having build faults rectified by service, and I will continue to be so. The guarantee on the battery and motors gives me sufficient comfort about the residual 10k past 50k. By then, I would have thought all the body type faults would have revealed themselves and been fixed.

You will be fine, before COVID struck I was doing around 100k a year and 2k a week was a doddle in my M3P, unfortunately I've only done that much in the past 4 months or so :(, can't wait to be doing some proper miles again!

Thanks for the feedback.
My concerns are:
initial cost, I'll only be able to claim 4p per mile and will have to wait a year for the HMRC difference to kick in to my tax code after self assessment. I used to claim 20p with the Lexus and this helped towards the maintenance.
I've 4kw solar panels and waiting on a smart meter so that should be a positive.
Hopefully the driving experience will be a positive too.
My cars have always been tools of work for me and I've always treated them so they cost me very little or even make me money.
The extra this will cost me per month I could pay the mortgage off in 3 years rather than 6. But will I have enjoyed the time, I guess I'll have to find out.
4p for a company car, have you done the maths for your mileage as a personal car? I’ve seen stories where people have opted for personal purchase and then claim the full allowance on the miles.
Edit: you will not regret the model 3. Amazed that you’d pay off the mortgage in 3 years with the Lexus, 6 years with the tesla. On your mileage I’d thought it would be the other way round.