Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

any hope for reduction of outside noise penetrating the cabin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was all set to purchase until I test drove and found the noise at 60 - 65 mph on the interstate unacceptable for such an expensive Vehicle. My Test drives were both a model Y and later a model X. Maybe these test drive vehicles just needed adjustment of windows and molding. Also listening on youtube to model X's driving at speed on the freeways it sounds like a lot of wind noise on windshields windows wheels or whatever. I look forward to comments from you owner's experience with this.

model 3 was bad. Model X is acceptable. It’s mostly tire noise. My winter OEM snows on the X make it quite pleasant. I did have to fix a window adjustment myself, which made a huge difference. And it’s not intuitive what was wrong and how needed to be fixed.

I’d try a few X’s and see if any are satisfactory. If your sensitive to this sort of thing (I was), don’t bother with a Y.

If your looking for Lexus quiet forget it . It takes effort and energy to reduce cabin noise without help of service center they just say “that’s the way it is”. The seals are poorly engineered and there is no insulation I would pass on Tesla if noise bothers you

If your looking for Lexus quiet forget it . It takes effort and energy to reduce cabin noise without help of service center they just say “that’s the way it is”. The seals are poorly engineered and there is no insulation I would pass on Tesla if noise bothers you

There is plenty of insulation. I think their seals are fine too. On S/X. On 3/Y it’s a different story. I think part of it is, is how the drive units are coupled to the chassis. Very rigid body might couple noise to cabin better too. And the amount of glass too.

I agree though if you do have a problem. It can be hard to get SC to find and fix it. That’s why I tackled my problem myself.

model 3 was bad. Model X is acceptable. It’s mostly tire noise. My winter OEM snows on the X make it quite pleasant. I did have to fix a window adjustment myself, which made a huge difference. And it’s not intuitive what was wrong and how needed to be fixed.

I’d try a few X’s and see if any are satisfactory. If your sensitive to this sort of thing (I was), don’t bother with a Y.

Thanks for the information.
window adjustment - I've seen a video on adjusting the window clearance by inserting a credit card in the front of window and the rear of window and making adjustment inside the door until the credit card was snug on both ends of the glass. Is that what you did?

Tire noise? the noise we were hearing did not seem to emanate from the road. But I will investigate what people say about it. you know its quite different when you go from asphalt from to concrete pavement, it was nothing like that. it seemed as though the window was rolled down about a fourth of an inch and was really loud with cars trucks passing.

Thanks for the information.
window adjustment - I've seen a video on adjusting the window clearance by inserting a credit card in the front of window and the rear of window and making adjustment inside the door until the credit card was snug on both ends of the glass. Is that what you did?

Tire noise? the noise we were hearing did not seem to emanate from the road. But I will investigate what people say about it. you know its quite different when you go from asphalt from to concrete pavement, it was nothing like that. it seemed as though the window was rolled down about a fourth of an inch and was really loud with cars trucks passing.

Yes, that was probably my Video, you’ve done your homework ;)

I think if there is an air leak then “wind” might dominate. Currently for me, tire noise dominates. And with the OEM Pirelli Performance snows. Tire noise is quite good. I’m very tempted to switch to 19” non staggered setup for summer tires because it’s so good with the winter setup. With 20” staggered setup the options are limited. Since I am running snow tires and COVID limited driving it’s gonna be a long time.

The Jeep Summit I had with acoustic glass and active noise cancelation was extremely good. So I had a fairly high standard I came from. I’d say with the winter tires it’s 90-95% as good as the Jeep was and I’m satisfied.

I don’t blame the vehicle if the summer tires are not quite as good noise wise. I should be able to fix that. Also because tire noise is dominate (for me) if you are on fresh smooth pavement, it’s an absolute dream. Also I’d be curious how quiet some other ICE cars would be with the same amount of glass.

Also when I did fix the drivers windows I cleaned up lots of small gaps on the door liner (not sure what to call it). I’d like to do all 4 doors. I’m not sure how much that helped.

BTW I’m not an +85mph driver. I tend to rarely go above 70mph. Higher speeds can be more challenging.

One complaint I do have is hands free noise cancelation is poor. It seems a lot better lately. Not sure if it’s because of winter tires or they actually fixed something. But this past summer folks were complaining they could not hear me.

I also completely respect your questioning this topic. I did a lot of investigating on the model 3. But still went ahead thinking it would be ok. It really wasn’t. That’s why I said to drive a few X’s, in hopes you can see what a good one sounds like.

Good luck.

Yes, that was probably my Video, you’ve done your homework ;)

I think if there is an air leak then “wind” might dominate. Currently for me, tire noise dominates. And with the OEM Pirelli Performance snows. Tire noise is quite good. I’m very tempted to switch to 19” non staggered setup for summer tires because it’s so good with the winter setup. With 20” staggered setup the options are limited. Since I am running snow tires and COVID limited driving it’s gonna be a long time.

The Jeep Summit I had with acoustic glass and active noise cancelation was extremely good. So I had a fairly high standard I came from. I’d say with the winter tires it’s 90-95% as good as the Jeep was and I’m satisfied.

I don’t blame the vehicle if the summer tires are not quite as good noise wise. I should be able to fix that. Also because tire noise is dominate (for me) if you are on fresh smooth pavement, it’s an absolute dream. Also I’d be curious how quiet some other ICE cars would be with the same amount of glass.

Also when I did fix the drivers windows I cleaned up lots of small gaps on the door liner (not sure what to call it). I’d like to do all 4 doors. I’m not sure how much that helped.

BTW I’m not an +85mph driver. I tend to rarely go above 70mph. Higher speeds can be more challenging.

One complaint I do have is hands free noise cancelation is poor. It seems a lot better lately. Not sure if it’s because of winter tires or they actually fixed something. But this past summer folks were complaining they could not hear me.

I also completely respect your questioning this topic. I did a lot of investigating on the model 3. But still went ahead thinking it would be ok. It really wasn’t. That’s why I said to drive a few X’s, in hopes you can see what a good one sounds like.

Good luck.
Care to link that video?
Road surface makes a huge difference, it’s largely tire NVH infiltrating cabin. My wife’s Honda Odyssey is much worse.

As others have said, in my X the road surface makes a tremendous amount of difference in sound levels at cruise.

Sometimes I will be driving and not even realizing the sound levels, then the road surface changes and the X becomes almost silent.

I will have to try another X. It is just unbelievable it is that bad for all X owners. I've seen a lot of complaints from early model 3 owners but none virtually in the video reviews of X owners. I just looked at a video comparing laminated glass vs tempered, results were stunning. Perhaps Tesla will start installing laminated front windows like 3's and Y's are getting.