Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any HW3 updates to MCU1 Model X or Model s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not heard of any FSD hardware updates being done to MCU1 (pre-March 2018) cars yet. I’ve tried to scan the other threads for this info, but too much chatter about other stuff. Has anyone out there had their AP 2.0 or AP 2.5 MCU1 car updated to HW3? If not, anyone have any info on when the updates might start?

None I've heard of. I have pre-paid 2017 Aug - 2017 X - MCU1 AP2.0

Good summary/Guess: Musk confirms/Tesla Refutes upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2
My hunch based really on nothing: (executive summary: skip to #7 for my guess of timeframe of a possible for-fee MCU2 upgrade option)

1. Once the FSD AP3/HW3 upgrades to all S/X/3 cars with MCU2 are complete, they will be done with any FSD HW upgrades for M3 and all for S/X that have MCU2. Guessing sometime in Q1 or early Q2

2. Completion of #1 is a huge win and gets a big piece of HW upgrades completed and behind them, and has to take precedence.

3. Now we will see how/when they address the AP upgrades for FSD S/X vehicles with MCU1. No reason to believe that this will require an upgrade of MCU1, but I suppose that is remotely possible. This will be the first time they have to make the software deal with the combination of AP3 and MCU1, and another reason why I don’t think it will begin until #1 is complete, just another step that doesn’t have to be done first.

4. When they start upgrading FSD S/X cars to AP3 that have MCU1, I think they will want to do those first that pose the fewest challenges in software or hardware. That leads me to suspect they will start with those having AP2.5. I think this is a smaller subset, AP2.5/MCU1 combination was around for a much shorter time than AP2.0, and also newer hardware assemblies so the least amount of differences. My car was manufactured only a week or two before the MCU2 cutover.

5. Once we see one FSD vehicle with MCU1 upgraded to AP3, we will know whether there are any issues with MCU1. If there are, and if they are force to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 as part of the process, they may be forced to offer a priced option to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2, independent from any FSD upgrade concern. As I said, I think that is unlikely, that my car will get upgraded to AP3/HW3 and retain its MCU1.

6. In one order or the other, once all FSD S/X MCU1 vehicles with either AP2.0 or AP2.5 have been upgraded to AP3, still retaining their MCU1, ONLY THEN will Tesla consider offering an MCU2 HW upgrade option for a fee. They simply cannot afford the workload until they get all the FSD upgrades out of the way. Totally wild guess for completion of all FSD upgrades to all cars including AP2.0 and AP2.5: by end of 2020, since lots more FSD features will be out by then, and the clamor for AP3 upgrades from those with pre-2018 FSD cars will be huge.

7. SO, only after all of the above, which might be at the end of 2020, will there IMHO be any likelihood of an MCU1-MCU2 upgrade option at owner cost. UNLESS it gets necessitated by fulfilling the FSD option for these older cars, which I think is unlikely.

As I said, above is based on pure conjecture but there is a semblance of logic to it.

Reactions: Bigriver
Elon's last prediction seems to be end of Q1 earliest: Elon Musk on Twitter
This is quite a thorny hardware problem, as there are many diff versions of mcu & autopilot computer & supporting hardware. Cars last so much longer than phones! Hopefully able to upgrade mcu1 & ap2.0 in a few months.

Tesla retrofits do seem to be limited to MCU2 + HW2.5 for now. Although verygreen did get MCU1 + FSD computer working green on Twitter, so maybe retrofits will expand a little bit to include MCU1/2 + HW2.5 before expanding to HW2.0.

I had scheduled a service visit this week for our 2017 S (MCU1/AP2), requesting fix for yellow band on the display, MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade and HW3 upgrade. Through a series of text messages, Tesla indicated none of these could be done:
  • Machine to fix the display is broken, with no ETA when it will be fixed
  • No upgrade available for MCU1 to MCU2
  • VIN for vehicle is not on the HW3 upgrade list; Tesla will not provide notification when our vehicle gets on the list; Tesla does the HW3 upgrades without any notification to the owners; the upgrades will be done only when vehicles are scheduled for service
Looks like the only way to determine if your vehicle is on the list for an HW3 upgrade is to schedule a service visit.

Since they could do any of the above, and I didn't have anything else urgent needing service, I cancelled the service appointment and will try again next month. And once the yellow screen is fixed, I might start scheduling a service appointment every month, requesting the HW3 upgrade and then cancelling the appointment when they confirm my vehicle isn't ready for the upgrade.

For those of us who took a chance on purchasing FSD in 2017 (or earlier), Tesla should at least provide us more information on what they plan to do to provide us the FSD features (with hardware upgrade) and an estimate of when...

• Love
Reactions: pilotSteve
Looks like the only way to determine if your vehicle is on the list for an HW3 upgrade is to schedule a service visit.
This appears to be their preferred method. It is how I got my model 3 HW3 done. I have also heard of people calling the SC to ask, but most SC’s don’t readily answer the phone. I’ve also been there in person (when doing model 3) and asked (about 2017 model X). It took about 5 seconds for them to check. Of course the answer was no.

For those of us who took a chance on purchasing FSD in 2017 (or earlier), Tesla should at least provide us more information on what they plan to do to provide us the FSD features (with hardware upgrade) and an estimate of when...
Yes, can’t wait for Tesla to improve in the communications department.

Reactions: pilotSteve
There are significant differences in system architecture between MCU1 and MCU2 cars that they'll have to figure out how to overcome for such an upgrade - mainly around the backup camera (goes directly to MCU1, goes to the AP computer in MCU2 and gets sent from there to the screen,) and the instrument cluster (which is a separate second computer on MCU1, but a second display of the MCU2 computer.)

One way to deal with it would be wholesale replacement of both the MCU and the instrument panel, along with an extra wire to reroute the rear camera, which would pretty much make MCU1 cars the same as MCU2 cars - but that's a lot of extra money for Tesla to replace parts. I imagine they're trying to figure out if they can achieve good results with the current MCU and instrument hardware somehow right now.

Another option Tesla should consider for MCU1 owners: Tesla should allow the owner to transfer FSD to a new vehicle, and in consideration of how long MCU1 owners have waited (and continue to wait) for FSD features, they should provide a credit towards the purchase a new Tesla HW3 vehicle.j

If the MCU1/HW3 upgrade is difficult (expensive), may be better to encourage those customers to buy new vehicles rather than Tesla spending a lot of $ and time retrofitting those vehicles...

If they did this I would upgrade to a new raven right now... They really need to switch FSD to a subscription model, pay $X per month and you get FSD. Sell the car to someone else and they can decide whether or not to pay for FSD monthly.

Another option Tesla should consider for MCU1 owners: Tesla should allow the owner to transfer FSD to a new vehicle, and in consideration of how long MCU1 owners have waited (and continue to wait) for FSD features, they should provide a credit towards the purchase a new Tesla HW3 vehicle.j

If the MCU1/HW3 upgrade is difficult (expensive), may be better to encourage those customers to buy new vehicles rather than Tesla spending a lot of $ and time retrofitting those vehicles...

I’ve thought of this too and would seriously consider such an offer. I think it would give them a bit of a spike in their sales. But not all MCU1 owners would want this nor necessarily be in a position to come up with the $$$ for a new car. So they would still have to have other options, perhaps including refund of FSD price paid... but that alone wouldn’t seem good enough compensation at this point.

If they did this I would upgrade to a new raven right now... They really need to switch FSD to a subscription model, pay $X per month and you get FSD. Sell the car to someone else and they can decide whether or not to pay for FSD monthly.

I love the idea of a subscription model. It might also help Tesla cash flow. Just like NetFlix or Spotify the cash rolls in month after month.

There are significant differences in system architecture between MCU1 and MCU2 cars that they'll have to figure out how to overcome for such an upgrade - mainly around the backup camera (goes directly to MCU1, goes to the AP computer in MCU2 and gets sent from there to the screen,) and the instrument cluster (which is a separate second computer on MCU1, but a second display of the MCU2 computer.)
the backup camera info is incorrect.
MCU1 and MCU2 are exactly the same in this respect.

Overall MCU1 and MCU2 are totally interchangeable as long as you replace both screens at the same time (also must replace radio tuner).
No wiring harness changes.

the backup camera info is incorrect.
MCU1 and MCU2 are exactly the same in this respect.

Overall MCU1 and MCU2 are totally interchangeable as long as you replace both screens at the same time (also must replace radio tuner).
No wiring harness changes.

Was it an AP2 to AP2.5 change, then?

I know I've read several times about the rear camera being handled differently in newer cars...

Ditto. Give us some sort of path forward, as the ability to upgrade our current vehicles looks to be difficult at best, and no where near a reality in the short to mid-term.

This thread’s been dormant for a while, but wanted to pass along that I just validated with my local service team that at this point there is no availability for the FSD chip for vehicles with MCU1, and no path forward at this point, as far as they’re aware of. Very frustrating as I’m now dealing with a bug in the software that doesn’t allow me to download new updates, as well as the other issues referred to by a previous poster of “memory leak”.

This thread’s been dormant for a while, but wanted to pass along that I just validated with my local service team that at this point there is no availability for the FSD chip for vehicles with MCU1
There are several reports of MCU1 vehicles getting the FSD computer upgrade. Do you maybe mean there is a problem with AP2.0, not MCU1? I actually have an appointment tomorrow morning the upgrade from HW2.5 to HW3 all while maintaining MCU1. I would prefer to also be getting the MCU2 infotainment upgrade, but they said it’s not available for my car yet.

Interestingly, my SC proactively contacted me on Thursday to make an appointment for the FSD install. When they said the infotainment upgrade is not available yet for my car, I said I would wait for both to be done at the same time. Over the weekend I changed my mind and made an appointment for HW3 for this Wednesday. This morning they contacted me and asked whether they could move it up, to today or tomorrow. Tomorrow it is.

There are several reports of MCU1 vehicles getting the FSD computer upgrade. Do you maybe mean there is a problem with AP2.0, not MCU1? I actually have an appointment tomorrow morning the upgrade from HW2.5 to HW3 all while maintaining MCU1. I would prefer to also be getting the MCU2 infotainment upgrade, but they said it’s not available for my car yet.

Interestingly, my SC proactively contacted me on Thursday to make an appointment for the FSD install. When they said the infotainment upgrade is not available yet for my car, I said I would wait for both to be done at the same time. Over the weekend I changed my mind and made an appointment for HW3 for this Wednesday. This morning they contacted me and asked whether they could move it up, to today or tomorrow. Tomorrow it is.
What he told me is that they haven’t released an upgrade path for MCU1. He may have been mistaken on what he told me, but this guys been pretty good in the past. I’m assuming it’s at a minimum the MCU1, and more likely an issue of the combination of my AP2.0 and MCU1. That being said, it’s difficult to sift through and pull together what reality is versus conjecture in many of these threads at this point. Will be curious to see how your upgrade goes, and any additional insight you can gather. Glad to see you got it scheduled, @Bigriver!