Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any ideas how to retrieve... (don't laugh)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no idea what that hole under the seat looks like but I wonder if there is some kind of net kind of thing you could tape down there that will on day catch the M&M when the stars align and it goes into the net.

...a dropped M&M peanut into a hole under the driver's seat, apparently there is a large open area under the floor about the width of the car and 3 or 4 feet long.... NOW, every time I turn, accelerate or decelerate I can hear the M&P rolling around under the floor, IT IS SOOO ANNOYING!!! My initial thought is, take it to a supercharger and let the battery warm up to melt it but not sure that is the best solution from a sanitary perspective. My other thought is to take the drivers seat out to get a better look at it but it will most likely be pushed to one of the extremities of the cavity it is stuck in.
Sucks dropping your nuts in your car. Can I suggest protecting your nuts more carefully so they don’t drop. But I think in your case, they’re lost forever.

I had a fossilized cheerio attached to a hard gob of glue rolling around inside an air duct beneath the driver's seat. This dated from the days when my daughter used glue guns and cheerios to make school projects (and she is now graduating college).
It rolled. It rattled. It drove me nuts.
Until I read the rest of your post, I thought you were going to say the fossilized Cheerio stayed there for years (from your daughter's grade school days through college). :)

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I had a quarter rolling around inside that vent. If you contort your hand JUST SO, you should be able to reach it. The vent's wide enough for an entire hand to fit.

Apparently it's a good-luck tradition here in the northeast to throw change into the backseat of someone's new car. I had someone (who shall remain nameless) who insisted on doing so, even after I asked them not to... shot a bullseye right into the floor vent.

Like a Snickers commercial -- "Not going anywhere for a while?"

I had a quarter rolling around inside that vent. If you contort your hand JUST SO, you should be able to reach it. The vent's wide enough for an entire hand to fit.

Apparently it's a good-luck tradition here in the northeast to throw change into the backseat of someone's new car. I had someone (who shall remain nameless) who insisted on doing so, even after I asked them not to... shot a bullseye right into the floor vent.

Like a Snickers commercial -- "Not going anywhere for a while?"

Someone threw change in my back seat for good luck and I never knew about this vent. I'll be removing my good luck change post haste.

...a dropped M&M peanut into a hole under the driver's seat, apparently there is a large open area under the floor about the width of the car and 3 or 4 feet long.... NOW, every time I turn, accelerate or decelerate I can hear the M&P rolling around under the floor, IT IS SOOO ANNOYING!!! My initial thought is, take it to a supercharger and let the battery warm up to melt it but not sure that is the best solution from a sanitary perspective. My other thought is to take the drivers seat out to get a better look at it but it will most likely be pushed to one of the extremities of the cavity it is stuck in.

Since you're getting as many jokes as helpful responses, I'll make a suggestion based on what I just saw when changing the cabin air filters. If you follow the DIY instructions to take the carpet panel off of the center console footwell on the passenger side, you'll see an opening toward the bottom. I'm sure you can remove the panel from the driver's footwell too. I think this may give you access to the space under the floor. I don't know if a vacuum hose would fit in there, but an endoscope would for sure.

Capture.JPG

(Screenshot from:
)

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-27_16-17-41.png
    upload_2020-1-27_16-17-41.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 205
Since you're getting as many jokes as helpful responses, I'll make a suggestion based on what I just saw when changing the cabin air filters. If you follow the DIY instructions to take the carpet panel off of the center console footwell on the passenger side, you'll see an opening toward the bottom. I'm sure you can remove the panel from the driver's footwell too. I think this may give you access to the space under the floor. I don't know if a vacuum hose would fit in there, but an endoscope would for sure.

View attachment 504920

(Screenshot from:
)

I came here to suggest this. Note that you do not need to remove the OTHER panel under the glove compartment (as the instructions for air filter replacement require) if you are just removing this carpeted panel. To remove the carpeted panel, you can reach way up high on the edge of the carpeted panel way under the glove compartment to get purchase on the back side of the carpeted panel with your fingers/hand, and pull outwards, without having to use a pry tool (frankly I found it hard/scary to use a pry tool on this panel without damaging any plastic trim).

Of course you can remove that other panel if you wish - it just isn't necessary.

Also note that there are white plastic clips that all need to be properly in place before you put the panel back on. They have a tendency to get dislodged when you remove the panel and they will interfere with proper re-installation if they are not in the correct position (the correct position will be obvious based on looking at the other ones, that are in the correct position...there are a lot of clips). I've added green circles to show an example of a couple that have become dislodged from the carpeted panel and need to be placed back on the panel before installation - be sure not to lose any!

Capture.JPG

It's not clear this will give you access to the problem area - not clear where the M&M is - but it's worth a shot.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Ok a serious response.

I had the same issue. Exactly the same noise.

It turned out to be a small nut in the rear heater vent under the seats. With a flashlight open the rear door find the vent which is mid way under the seat and pretty far under the seat. There is a groove on the front of the vent where any thing small and round will roll back and forth as you turn. I went months and it never dislodged.

The Tesla service guy that found it was amazing. Laying on the rear floor as a I swerved back and forth. When he pulled it out I immediately recognized it as coming from the tree near my driveway.

Here is my original post on this.

Rattle in rear (Model 3)

Last edited:
  • Funny
OK I couldn’t help it...I’m laughing. If the battery heat can melt the M&M (peanut version is a bit more iffy), the fragrance of warm chocolate (like in chocolate chip cookies) might cause you to have chocolate food cravings and ultimately gain weight. If it can melt, chances are you will not get it out so good luck. A chocolate craving isn’t the worse thing I guess but let us know if you get it out. Got a chuckle thinking about it but no suggestions on extracting it. Didn’t even know something could get forever lost under there.