Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any ideas how to retrieve... (don't laugh)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What’s even funnier about this post are some of the responses on how to remove the offending nut. These types of troll posts as the one from the OP are getting ridiculous on this forum.

Don’t think it’s a troll post - like I said, I had a quarter in that vent and thought “Who TF designed this ridiculous hole in the floor without a grate?”

Took me 2 weeks to figure out what it was - the car was brand new so I thought at first it was one of the horrific build quality problems this forum brainwashed me into believing.

Reactions: UKNOWINVU2 and tvad
Here is my quarter -

4FB6C900-97C1-46DE-9ACB-7A3F4BDCF0C6.jpeg

again, this is an S. It was about 18” down a plastic heat duct about 1/2” high that had several bends in it.

I’ll look if our 3 has a similar vent tomorrow.

Last edited:
Don’t think it’s a troll post - like I said, I had a quarter in that vent and thought “Who TF designed this ridiculous hole in the floor without a grate?”

Took me 2 weeks to figure out what it was - the car was brand new so I thought at first it was one of the horrific build quality problems this forum brainwashed me into believing.
Hear what you’re saying and understand about your specific case. But M&M’s, skittles, golf balls, fingernail clippings, etc.? Is it that difficult to stick a vacuum cleaner wand under the seat and clean the car? Is there really a hole under the seat where these things go into the abyss?

Reactions: dmurphy
Hear what you’re saying and understand about your specific case. But M&M’s, skittles, golf balls, fingernail clippings, etc.? Is it that difficult to stick a vacuum cleaner wand under the seat and clean the car? Is there really a hole under the seat where these things go into the abyss?

Hard to believe, but yeah, there kinda is a path to the abyss under there.

Not only is there an air vent under the seat with no grate or cover at all, but it’s also possible to end up under the carpet and rattling around. Fast forward to 2:45 into this video to see what I mean.

I know your profile says NJ; not sure where in the state you are, but I’m near Morristown. Would be happy to buy you some coffee one of these days and I can show you the silly air vent!

Not only is there an air vent under the seat with no grate or cover at all, but it’s also possible to end up under the carpet and rattling around. Fast forward to 2:45 into this video to see what I mean.

I know your profile says NJ; not sure where in the state you are, but I’m near Morristown. Would be happy to buy you some coffee one of these days and I can show you the silly air vent!
Interesting. I knew that the carpet on the interior floor was two separate pieces but wasn’t aware that there was a gap underneath. I guess no M&M’s or skittles in the car for me then. I’m near Cherry Hill/Mt. Laurel area. If you’re ever in my area I also extend the coffee offer as well.

Since you're getting as many jokes as helpful responses, I'll make a suggestion based on what I just saw when changing the cabin air filters. If you follow the DIY instructions to take the carpet panel off of the center console footwell on the passenger side, you'll see an opening toward the bottom. I'm sure you can remove the panel from the driver's footwell too. I think this may give you access to the space under the floor. I don't know if a vacuum hose would fit in there, but an endoscope would for sure.

View attachment 504920

(Screenshot from:
)

GREAT IDEA!! I have also changed the cabin filter and know what you mean. Hmmm... I need to take care of this very soon, the noise is driving me NUTS!!!! lol... Every time the car moves you can hear it, now my kids are laughing at me! I'M thinking of maybe making a video of me trying to remove this nut!

The subject M&M is NOT under the seat and YES there is a hole under the seat that leads to an abyss!! I will take a picture and video!

YES HERE IS THE OPENING TO THE ABYSSS!!! (see link below) I have messaged the video creator to see if he got the screw out.

Last edited: