Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any ideas what this sound might be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
After a quick shopping errand this evening, I returned to my 2018 M3P and as I backed out (or moved forward), I heard this crazy sound. It sounds like my exhaust fell off the car and was being dragged along the road... Oh wait that was my trusty 240sx in college haha!

I'm linking a video of the sound to see if any of the wizards here can help diagnose what this might be. It lingered for the one mile drive to the Service Center that was close by but as expected once I parked there and went inside to hunt down a service advisor it stopped acting up and drove normally. Didn't help that they had just closed for the evening so they didn't take the car in.

Anyone have any ideas on what this sound / issue might be? Thanks in advance!

P. S. control arms were replaced, and tires rotated last week!

-Arif

Hi all,
After a quick shopping errand this evening, I returned to my 2018 M3P and as I backed out (or moved forward), I heard this crazy sound. It sounds like my exhaust fell off the car and was being dragged along the road... Oh wait that was my trusty 240sx in college haha!

I'm linking a video of the sound to see if any of the wizards here can help diagnose what this might be. It lingered for the one mile drive to the Service Center that was close by but as expected once I parked there and went inside to hunt down a service advisor it stopped acting up and drove normally. Didn't help that they had just closed for the evening so they didn't take the car in.

Anyone have any ideas on what this sound / issue might be? Thanks in advance!

P. S. control arms were replaced, and tires rotated last week!

-Arif
That's a rock in between the brake rotor and the shield. Rock gets picked up and gets wedged between the shield and rotor. Usually fixed by pulling the shield away from the rotor a tiny bit, while the car is slowly backed up a foot or so and the rock will drop out. Clink - problem all solved.

Could be a rock or other road debris stuck somewhere around the rotors. Maybe odd that it's so loud in reverse and silent going forward, but I could see that happening depending on exact position, shape, etc of the debris.

Or maybe it's something else entirely!

Interesting... In nearly 3 years, 20k miles I haven't experienced a rock getting wedged in like this before (or in any other car in the past). And odd how it conveniently fell out after I parked at the service center to complain about the noise. 🤔

Hoping it didn't cause any damage to the rotors, or isn't some larger issue. With my warranty set to expire at year end, I sure don't want to be stuck between a rock and a hard place with this!

-Arif

Interesting... In nearly 3 years, 20k miles I haven't experienced a rock getting wedged in like this before (or in any other car in the past). And odd how it conveniently fell out after I parked at the service center to complain about the noise. 🤔

Hoping it didn't cause any damage to the rotors, or isn't some larger issue. With my warranty set to expire at year end, I sure don't want to be stuck between a rock and a hard place with this!

-Arif
Model 3 does seem to collect them more easily than any other car I've owned. Maybe the heat shield fitment is more snug or something.

I had one so bad I was like I can't drive this without waking the dead or scratching the hell out of my rotor. I called for Tesla roadside, hoping they'd be willing to take the wheel off and help me knock it out, but no, they refused and would only tow it to a service center. So I had them do that and apparently bouncing the car around on the flatbed got the rock out.

Yes I need to buy a small jack to keep in the car. Lack of spare tire kit is annoying.