Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any indication that Shanghai/Berlin improvements are coming to US built MY this year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
My understanding is that the following improvements over Fremont built MY have been made to LR MY or SR MY between Shanghai, Berlin & Austin;

• Double pane rear windows
  • Matrix headlights
  • Rear parcel shelf (haven't seen a photo of this yet)
  • Magnetic center console
  • New door insert panels

I don't keep up on Tesla rumors very well but supposedly Fremont was shut down for a week or two this month so maybe some changes to the line were made. Everything above shouldn't require any retooling so perhaps the shutdown was for other reasons or just annual maintenance.

Anyone have any insights?

• Informative
Reactions: Dayreg and Riguy
My understanding is that the following improvements over Fremont built MY have been made to LR MY or SR MY between Shanghai, Berlin & Austin;

• Double pane rear windows
  • Matrix headlights
  • Rear parcel shelf (haven't seen a photo of this yet)
  • Magnetic center console
  • New door insert panels

I don't keep up on Tesla rumors very well but supposedly Fremont was shut down for a week or two this month so maybe some changes to the line were made. Everything above shouldn't require any retooling so perhaps the shutdown was for other reasons or just annual maintenance.

Anyone have any insights?
I’ve not heard that Chinese or Berlin model y have double pane rear windows.

Thanks. At this point I won’t miss having rear double pane windows in my 2022 MYP (built 12/2021) considering all the price hikes. It’s good Tesla is waiting to add feature the feature to USA & Canada I suppose as it justifies the multiple price hikes we saw post 12/21 🤷.
I have asked my family if the rear of 2023 MYP seems loud a few times when on freeway. My wife says she can’t notice a difference between front seat and rear. Kids have no complaints. Our other car is a 2010 Toyota Prius & I had a Chevy Volt (2013-2021). So that’s what we compare against 🤣. No “luxury” cars for us to get used to.

Reactions: Anser
Thanks. At this point I won’t miss having rear double pane windows in my 2022 MYP (built 12/2021) considering all the price hikes. It’s good Tesla is waiting to add feature the feature to USA & Canada I suppose as it justifies the multiple price hikes we saw post 12/21 🤷.
I have asked my family if the rear of 2023 MYP seems loud a few times when on freeway. My wife says she can’t notice a difference between front seat and rear. Kids have no complaints. Our other car is a 2010 Toyota Prius & I had a Chevy Volt (2013-2021). So that’s what we compare against 🤣. No “luxury” cars for us to get used to.
Wonder if a rear window gets busted if they replace with the dual...

Attachments

• FFF2D4F4-B0AD-4055-813E-973D9B5E248B.jpeg
    FFF2D4F4-B0AD-4055-813E-973D9B5E248B.jpeg
    316.3 KB · Views: 163
  • B96E2BE1-1FCB-424C-8204-F2687B3B05F6.jpeg
    B96E2BE1-1FCB-424C-8204-F2687B3B05F6.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 99
Following these discussions with interest as we are thinking of selling our 2020 LR AWD and buying a Performance Y. These new updates would be icing on the cake.
I own a 2021 Shanghai-built Y LR and I ordered a Performance Y because the new models out of Berlin have better suspension, even on uberturbine wheels. They also have improvements to reduce cabin noise, specifically fabric-covered plastic where the rear seatbelts touch in the rear seats and extra padding between the body and interior trim

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan and Krash
I own a 2021 Shanghai-built Y LR and I ordered a Performance Y because the new models out of Berlin have better suspension, even on uberturbine wheels. They also have improvements to reduce cabin noise, specifically fabric-covered plastic where the rear seatbelts touch in the rear seats and extra padding between the body and interior trim
@Imundo , if you can point us to some pictures of these additions it would be appreciated. I am particularly interested to learn more about the "extra padding between body and interior trim". Is this a foamy type material and is installed in every part of car?
I'm sure some people would like to mimic or see tesla's approach. I have 3d printed seatbelt guides which attach to headrest which prevent the seat belts from sliding over to the plastic body area and making rattles.
I just got back from a 300 mile road trip in my 2022 performance model y (built 12/2021). What a joy to drive!

Correcting some typos.

Thanks. At this point I won’t miss not having rear double pane windows in my 2022 MYP (built 12/2021) considering all the price hikes. It’s good Tesla is waiting to add the feature to USA & Canada I suppose as it justifies the multiple price hikes we saw post 12/21 🤷.
I have asked my family if the rear passenger area of our 2022 MYP seems loud a few times when on freeway. My wife says she can’t notice a difference between front seat and rear. Kids have no complaints. Our other car is a 2010 Toyota Prius & I had a Chevy Volt (2013-2021). So that’s what we compare against 🤣. No “luxury” cars for us to transition from.