Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any indication that towing will be possible with dual motor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been holding out hope that the Model 3 would have a lightweight towing option when the dual motor version started shipping, but that does not appear to be true. Has anyone heard anything about towing with the Model 3 lately? I'd love to be able to connect a small utility trailer for transporting drywall sheets, a riding lawnmower, bags of mulch, etc. and finally ditch my gassy SUV. A friend of mine tows with his 1.0L Toyota Prius, so towing with a muscular, AWD Model 3 seems perfectly reasonable to me.

What I know is that on April 3, 2016 Elon tweeted “There will be an optional tow hitch”, but did not provide any specifics. But then in October 2017 he said “no” to a question about a Model 3 tow hitch. Currently Tesla does not provide a tow option for the 3. Will there be such an option in the future? I don’t know. But I doubt it since the Model Y is coming and it seems almost certainly it will have a tow option, just like the X has a tow option but the S does not.

Some people have added tow hitches to their Model S. I am not aware of any reported problems towing with the S. Of course the hitch has to be installed properly.

In addition to what @ecarfan said in reference to Twitter posts, the following is on page 136 of the current Model 3 Owner's Manual.

Towing a Trailer

Warning: Do not use Model 3 for towing purposes. Model 3 does not currently support towing. Towing can cause damage and increase the risk of a collision.

Caution: Using Model 3 for towing before Tesla-approved towing components and accessories are available may void the warranty.​

Obviously, no schedule is given for when/if "Tesla-approved towing components and accessories" will be available. I purchased the Model 3 now and will enjoy that and replace it and my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 with a Tesla pickup when/if that is released.

The current version of the Model 3 manual that is online shows that text on page 147.
https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

What interests me is the clear implication that in the future “Tesla-approved towing components and accessories” will be “available”.
Towing a Trailer

Warning: Do not use Model 3 for towing purposes. Model 3 does not currently support towing. Towing can cause damage and increase the risk of a collision.

Caution: Using Model 3 for towing before Tesla-approved towing components and accessories are available may void the warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman