Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any indicator from AutoPilot to regular cruise control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you know that the regular cruise control without steering control still activate? I been driving in autopilot and then I take the wheel control to exit the highway without stepping on the brakes. The car suddenly accelerated on the long exit lane since last speed was highway speed. I have to apply brake quickly to cancel out any cruise. Then I realize that the cruise control still on. Why there is no indicator on the screen since this seem to be very important safety issue? The indicator on the steering column show steering wheel gray out but that just means that the Auto Pilot is available.. Anyone experience this?

Cruise Control: The cruise speed will be encircled in blue if activated, great if not.
Autosteer: Engaged if the side lines are blue and the steering wheel is in blue, disengaged if both grey.
Navigate on Autopilot: blue line in the direction of travel if engaged, absent if disengaged.

Cruise Control: The cruise speed will be encircled in blue if activated, great if not.
Autocorrect can be annoying. ;) I realize you meant to type “The cruise speed will be encircled in blue if activated, gray if not.”

@MrTeaUSA I highly recommend that you read the Model X manual sections about TACC and Auto Pilot even though @jmaddr has clearly and succinctly answered your question. There is a lot of information in the manual about those functions that is important to understand.

It would be nice to have a "disengage speed control if driver takes over steering control" option in the settings as I don't tend to use them separately and it has caught me (just a little) off guard at times.

Hitting the brakes or pushing the AP stalk back (towards the front of the car) cancels both. Just turning the wheel cancels only Autosteer and leaves TACC (cruise control) on. You should hear the three bongs when Autosteer changes state, though I can tune that out at times. I keep a pretty close eye out for the blue icons to confirm what's on.

Hitting the brakes or pushing the AP stalk back (towards the front of the car) cancels both. Just turning the wheel cancels only Autosteer and leaves TACC (cruise control) on. You should hear the three bongs when Autosteer changes state, though I can tune that out at times. I keep a pretty close eye out for the blue icons to confirm what's on.
It's not so much lack of awareness as the fact that the act of turning the wheel psychologically translates to "I've taken over", but you haven't.

Also, I don't like their practice of 3 bongs down to indicate "NoA is off" because they aren't consistent in what they consider the end state. I've had that happen when I cancel while on NoA and it means "no aids are in effect now", but I've also had the 3 bongs down when it was still in control of some of the operation. If they are going to do the 3 bongs down, then they need to follow it up with rising bongs indicating the new state. They don't always do that.

There are several ways to trigger a change in automation level, and not all use the same system to indicate the final state. For example:

- On AP and entering an area where NoA is possible - 3 bongs up - unambiguous
- On AP and engage NoA manually - 3 bongs up - unambiguous

- On AP and cancel with stalk or brake - 2 bongs down - matches new state
- On NoA and cancel with stalk or brake - 3 bongs down - matches new state

- On NoA and turn the wheel - 3 bongs down, but none up - is it canceled?
- On NoA and enter an area with no NoA support - 3 bongs down and I think 2 up - that matches new AP state

Those are from memory, but I'd have to repeat them to be sure.

In Short, I think it makes sense that they should always use 1 bong for TAC, 2 for AP, and 3 for NoA
Bongs going up indicate new state unambiguously
Bongs going down should be followed by the new number of bongs going up to match the state you ended up in.
Bongs going down with no rising tones should always mean "no automation".
It would be even better if they had another sound that explicitly indicated "no automation".