Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any insight on this noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just began noticing intermittent noise from front left corner of my 2015 70D when preconditioning. Only a few times now and not constant. I popped frunk tub out and see a fan in that area. Any history of this being an issue?
Thanks for any help before I set up service. I just came out of bumper-to-bumper, so I'm not eager to rush for service an hour away.

Strange, I think the fan spins faster than the clicking noise you hear. I had taken my fan off yesterday because my condenser is leaking and will need to be replaced. You might check for debris. You can either see it from the top by removing the driver side apron under the hood or removing the plastic fender liner. The fiber liner can be moved out of the way and does not need to be removed.

Here is a pic of the fan removed.

Attachments

• IMG_20200425_182845.jpg
    IMG_20200425_182845.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 81
From the video, I don't think that's a fan issue.

Try turning the "AC" off on the MCU while the noise is ongoing. If it stops immediately, then it's far more likely to be AC compressor issue, either internal failure or loose mounting. The depth of the "clunking" sound suggests it's heavier components than what are found with the condenser fans, but it's hard to know from a video.

Fix before summer arrives:)

Sounds like the A/C condenser, may be low on freon or as someone else stated, its got a loose bracket, letting it move, you should be able to isolate that sound with with one of these...
ABN Mechanics Stethoscope – 2 Piece Automotive Stethoscope Kit Car Stethoscope Automotive Engine Diagnostic Tool
by Tool Deals
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BUJZBOO/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_RmMPEb24A1S54

Thanks for the replies! SC just replaced one A/C condenser(a cool grand out of warranty) so maybe they didn't button it up right. I also have what must be the dreading "grind" sound from rear end on accel and decel. Guess I'll make an appt.

Original issue resolved. Noise was diagnosed by mobile tech as left side fan preparing to give up the ghost. Had to go to service center due to a/c needing to be evacuated to replace. $495 part, $280 labor.
If I didn't love this car so much I'd be upset.