Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any insights into outdoor car cover for 2021 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at various outdoor car covers for our 2021 Model Y. Reading different reviews I can't seem to find one that is universally liked. Definitely want access to the charging port. Ideally want it waterproof, multiple layers, quality construction, with a good fit. Have considered the Tesla brand one, BougeRV, Farasla. Willing to spend what it takes to get what we want. Does anyone have an outside car cover for the Model Y that they really love that fits well? Any to steer clear of? Thanks!

Reactions: BMWY and HoreHey
It seems like the Tesla one checks your boxes. What's your hesitation?
A couple of things - I haven't been able to find any reviews of the Tesla cover nor details on the warranty for it. Also, not really thrilled with having "TESLA" plastered on the back of it for when it's parked at either of our work places - but could get over that. Was just curious if anyone was using the Tesla branded cover or had experience with any other brands. Obviously a buyer is paying a premium to have it branded by Tesla so was hoping that there might be one out there of high quality without the added cost for the branding. Most of the others I've looked at online definitely come with mixed reviews and not one of them appears to be a great solution. Unfortunately the companies that make higher end car covers don't have easy access to charging ports - yet. We have one for our Jeep Wrangler that we absolutely love but they don't make a custom one for Teslas currently.

Upvote 0
We hate to sound bias but we just released our car covers for the model y. We added some improvements such as a zipper at the car door so you can retrieve something from the inside so you don’t have to take off the whole cover and re fit it each time. Still provides 100% UV protection. Let us know your thoughts!

Upvote 0
We hate to sound bias but we just released our car covers for the model y. We added some improvements such as a zipper at the car door so you can retrieve something from the inside so you don’t have to take off the whole cover and re fit it each time. Still provides 100% UV protection. Let us know your thoughts!

Link Broken.

Upvote 0
I had the Tesla branded outdoor cover for two years with my M3 (2019-2021) and sold it when I got my MY. I bought it bc I street park nearby and also don't drive it more than once or twice a week (mostly used for weekend trips out of the city).

I really liked it and back then, when I got it, there weren't as many options. It is water resistant but not water proof. But otherwise it was really well made. The only negatives I have are that it would take up a lot of space when not in use (because it is multi layered, etc.) It would fill my entire M3 frunk. I was able to fold it very tightly to get it back into the bag when I sold it but that was the only time I got it down to that size.

All my other issues would be present in any other cover. It is possible to put it on with one person but easier with two--and assuming nothing but a light breeze. If you need to drive the car after the vehicle has been out in the rain--think again. The cover would be soaked and very heavy: I don't even want to think about it. I was lucky not to have any staining over the years from birds but I can imagine removing that would not be fun.

The cover really was best at keeping the car clean. I would wash the car and throw the cover on and it would be clean until I took it off again. If I was lucky that meant that my car could stay clean for weeks as long as I put it back on when I finished any local trips. These days there is no point in washing my MY bc it will be dirty in a matter of hours or days completely exposed to the elements.

I'm thinking of getting another cover next year.

Upvote 0