TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Any insurance recommendation when installing an EV Plug in an apartment complex?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by NeverFollow, Apr 7, 2016.

1. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

I plan to install an EV Plug (Nema 14-50) in the garage of my apartment complex, using a dedicated meter.

From the electrician person, I am been informed of the need to get an $1 million liability insurance.

Since I'm renting, I don't have an home owner insurance and only a car insurance.

I wonder if someone have been in a similar situation and what insurance recommendation would you give?

2. Lanny

Lanny ~

3. 1101011

1101011 Proud TSLA/SCTY shareholder since 2012.

Sounds absurd. I'd consult a different electrician.

4. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

Hi Lanny, thank you for the link. I'm in California, so beside installation costs and electrical usage costs responsibilities for the lessee:

(h) The lessee shall maintain in full force and effect a lessee’s general liability insurance policy in the amount of one million dollars ($1,000,000) and shall name the lessor as a named additional insured under the policy commencing with the date of approval of construction until the lessee forfeits possession of the dwelling to the lessor.​

I noticed few forum threads about the EV Plug installation, but not about insurance or other issues with the lessor.

So I was wondering if any other tenants could told me about their experience.

• Like x 1
  5. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I've carried a $1M umbrella policy for a number of years, just because of the sheer amount of random stuff that I do with various equipment and machinery with other people around. Most auto & home insurers will also sell you a general-liability umbrella policy at a discount. I'd start with your insurers first.

6. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Umbrella policies are pretty inexpensive. Around $100 year iirc. They do require all your toys to be insured with minimums, but most have that anyway.

7. davewill

davewill Member

Yeah, I got an umbrella when I became a landlord so I'd have protection against random/stupid things my tenants might do (charging their electric car with an extension cord trailing over a sidewalk, for instance). Any insurance agent worth his salt can hook you up fairly inexpensively.