Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any insurance recommendation when installing an EV Plug in an apartment complex?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NeverFollow

Aug 9, 2010
I plan to install an EV Plug (Nema 14-50) in the garage of my apartment complex, using a dedicated meter.

From the electrician person, I am been informed of the need to get an $1 million liability insurance.

Since I'm renting, I don't have an home owner insurance and only a car insurance.

I wonder if someone have been in a similar situation and what insurance recommendation would you give?

Hi Lanny, thank you for the link. I'm in California, so beside installation costs and electrical usage costs responsibilities for the lessee:

(h) The lessee shall maintain in full force and effect a lessee’s general liability insurance policy in the amount of one million dollars ($1,000,000) and shall name the lessor as a named additional insured under the policy commencing with the date of approval of construction until the lessee forfeits possession of the dwelling to the lessor.​

I noticed few forum threads about the EV Plug installation, but not about insurance or other issues with the lessor.

So I was wondering if any other tenants could told me about their experience.

Reactions: newtman
I've carried a $1M umbrella policy for a number of years, just because of the sheer amount of random stuff that I do with various equipment and machinery with other people around. Most auto & home insurers will also sell you a general-liability umbrella policy at a discount. I'd start with your insurers first.

Yeah, I got an umbrella when I became a landlord so I'd have protection against random/stupid things my tenants might do (charging their electric car with an extension cord trailing over a sidewalk, for instance). Any insurance agent worth his salt can hook you up fairly inexpensively.