TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Any interest in getting a group together at Katie's Cars & Coffee in Great Falls, VA

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Only Trons, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

I've made a similar post over at TM in the Washington DC region page.

As noted by others, a local Cars and Coffee event held at Kohl's Fair Lakes has been closed down.

However, there is a great Cars and Coffee event every Saturday morning at Katie’s Coffee in Great Falls, Virginia. It has become quite an event. Here is the link to an article in the local Great Falls Connection weekly newspaper:

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/news/2015/jun/23/saturday-morning-special-katies/

In 2013 when I started going to Katie’s, there would be several Tesla cars in the lot. Although I don’t attend every Saturday, when I go now I might be the only Tesla there or sometimes there is one (or two) others.

There are always a lot of Porsches and Corvettes, as well as some real classics. The article in the Great Falls Connection states there are 500 cars each week.

I think it would be fun to have a bunch of Teslas there.

Here’s the catch: this is an EARLY morning event. A few cars start showing up at 5:30 am or so. When I go with my Tesla, I usually get there by 6 am. At 6 am, the side parking lot has only one or two cars in it, but it fills up rapidly and is generally full by 6:45 or so. Then the outlying spaces start filling. Spaces can not be reserved --- it is first come, first served. So if it was desired to have a row of Teslas represented, it would be necessary to have the cars there around 6 am in order to secure adjacent parking spaces. The event closes by 9 am, in order to allow parking for customers of the merchants in the shopping center.

Are other owners interested in attending this event one Saturday morning this summer or fall?

2. Habious

Habious Member

This looks interesting to me.

3. scottreds2k

scottreds2k Member

I'm interested. Life seems to fill up Saturday's pretty quick. Can do 07/25 or 08/01, but not any others until September. Is this something they do there all year round?

4. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

It is held all year. It used to be a spring/summer/fall event, but has since changed to all year (obviously weather dependent).

I'm thinking that it would be difficult to get anything organized before August. Personally, I am not available until 1 August.

5. Rik

Rik Member

I am good with August 1, as long as you are cool with a plain ol' Roadster

6. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I've been meaning to attend a Katie's event. I'll go if I'm in town.

7. Bifff67

Bifff67 Member

We are there often, but have missed it for a while due to conflicts and then weather. No conflicts in the next few weeks. Good weather and we will be there.

8. kevinf311

kevinf311 Member

Here was my thought process:

Cars and Coffee? YES :D
    6am? Noooooooooooo :(

I had enough trouble getting myself up and mobile for the Annapolis Cars and Coffee and that was closer and later!

That said, I could probably also do 8/1 I just might need Autopilot to be released by then so it won't be too bad when I fall asleep at the wheel :rolleyes:

9. iadbound

iadbound Member

Sounds like fun. Does the car have to be perfectly detailed? I ask because I don't have time during the week to detail the car, and 6:00 am doesn't leave anytime to clean it up on a Saturday morning?

10. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

Thanks to all. Based on the responses, I’d like to propose 1 August.

Let me respond to some of the questions/thoughts expressed by others either here on TMC or at TM:

1. Starting/gathering time of 6 am: I’ll quote a line from the movie “Good Morning Vietnam.” Adrian Cronauer (aka Robin Williams) calls out: “Goooooooood morning Vietnam! It's 0600 hours. What does the "O" stand for? O my God, it's early!” Sorry that I can’t change that, but if we want to get together as a group, then it will be important that we arrive early in order to secure adjacent spaces.

2. Does the car have to be perfectly detailed? No, absolutely not. Do the best you can. I try to clean my car before I go but I can’t always get it “perfect.” This is more about getting together as a group of Tesla owners with the potential of sharing our support of EVs with other attendees. Some car owners bring show preparation products such as those from Meguiars to do last minute detailing, but I don't.

3. Can you participate if you don’t have a Tesla yet? Of course!!!! We'd enjoy meeting other potential owners.

I will arrive on site before 6 am -- so those who aren't familiar with the setup will be able to find the preferred location. I have a S85 MC Red.

Should weather become an issue, we can reschedule.

Looking forward to seeing some of you (again) and some new folks!!!

11. Thinkje

Thinkje Member

Lanny and I are looking forward to joining you.

Hoping for nice weather on August 1st!

Vera

12. scottreds2k

scottreds2k Member

Not sure I can shake the wife out of bed @ 5:30 in the morning for a car show, but I'll be there.

13. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

Weather models indicate it will be sunny this Saturday, 1 August. Looking forward to seeing many Tesla cars at Katie's then. MS and Roadsters!!

14. Bifff67

Bifff67 Member

Sounds great. With good weather we are all set to be there, early. We like parking on the East parking lot side under the trees to get a little shade as the sun comes up. But thats just us. One Tesla and a classic Corvette. Look forward to seeing the crowd!

15. scottreds2k

scottreds2k Member

As someone who has never been to Katies and have only been to that parking lot later at night at the Old Brogue Irish Pub, where in the parking lot would we try to gather? The only points of reference I have is the map on the site. I plan on a valid attempt to be there @ 6am, or close to it.

http://katiescarsandcoffee.com/show-info/parking-at-katies-cars-coffee/

16. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I'm planning on joining. Katie's has been on my list for awhile.

17. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

As pointed out by @Bifff67 above, we usually meet in the East parking lot. Using the link posted by @scottreds2k (two posts above), the East parking lot is shown on that map as "Secondary Show Parking" and is orange in color. There are trees alongside that parking lot and it provides some shade in the early morning hours. I expect to be there a few minutes prior to 6 am.

I telephoned the Tysons Corner Gallery this week and let them know there would be a gathering of Teslas on Saturday and invited them to drop by (and bring a car!) if available. I learned that several of their cars will be supporting the Billion Mile Event/Test Drive event this weekend in Virginia Beach, so it is unclear if any of them will be with us at Katies.

It would be great to have Roadsters and Model S represented.

18. Rik

Rik Member

they better have one for my service appointment on Monday :)

See you guys tomorrow. Name is Rik and I will be with the dirtiest (black) roadster in the parking lot.

19. Lanny

Lanny @Lanny

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438436604.058069.jpg
    Vera and I had a great time this morning. Thanks for setting this up, OnlyTrons!

Lanny

20. iadbound

iadbound Member

It was great to meet up with everyone today at Katie's. It was a tremendous show of support, and just plain fun. Thanks also to Tom from Tesla for bringing out a car from the Tysons Store.

IMG_1211.JPG