Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Interest in JdeMo Bulk Buy?

Would you go in on a JdeMo bulk buy?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe it's just company policy, and "the company" is not giving the SCs any flexibility. Nor do the SCs have any incentive to push back on that.

The first annual maintenance visit after getting the Titanium Dave rotors they refused to check the thickness of the rotors (standard wear check) because they weren't OEM. Sheesh. Last time at least they complimented me on how nice they look.
That may be, except one owner of a Jdemo-upgraded Roadster named a SC that was willing to work on their Roadster after the SC chatted with Tony at QC Charge. So at least some SC will consider it thoughtfully. I would have been happier had they been willing to at least discuss it with the inventor to understand, but consistency from SC to SC has never been a Tesla thing.

Reactions: DeedWest and ra88it
Tony provided several ways to pay, including old-fashioned check. Let me know if one of these works:

For the deposit, we can accept cash, check, money order, wire transfer or PayPal to:​

US MAIL:​

Tony Williams
ATTN: JdeMO for Roadster Deposit
12656 Sabre View Cove
San Diego, CA 92128-4160​

PAYPAL (please make it for “friends” so we don’t get charged a large fee): [email protected]

WIRE: Email for wire transfer information​

WIRE: Email for wire transfer information​

PayPal shouldn’t have a charge if you’re sending friends and family unless a credit card is being used. I think PayPal May charge a fee for credit card use.

I can ask QC to contact you if you want the wire instructions. Please advise.

I emailed him to the above address. No reply as yet but it was only on Wednesday morning so maybe he just hasn’t gotten around to it yet.

I think some of my emails to his email were going into spam. Try copying [email protected] or [email protected] . Sometimes I've found a get a faster reply. I suspect someone else looks at those mailboxes and gives Tony a heads-up.

Reactions: X.l.r.8
I have a complete JdeMo kit that was never installed on my Roadster 3.0. I’ve decided the 3.0 upgrade gives me the range without the upgrade. Box has never been opened asking $3,500 + shipping. Pickup can be arranged, but only selling to North America.

I’m located near Dayton, Ohio if you’d want to pick up. PM me if you are interested. May be your last chance if the group buy doesn’t work out.

Kent

Reactions: Roadster
I thought I should warn everyone. My Roadster's battery finally failed and needs to be replaced. While Tesla will replace it under my battery replacement contract (whenever they build a battery), they have told me that I must completely remove the Jdemo from the car for them to touch it. Not just disconnect it, but remove it. Putting it back in would void the warranty of the new battery. I would love to see Tesla work with Tony to make this an "approved" aftermarket upgrade, but that seems pretty remote. Just something to think about for those of you considering installing one. I will have to remove mine and not reinstall it until after the new battery's 3 year warranty expires. And if I put it in at that time, Tesla won't work on it again with it in place...

• Informative
Reactions: markwj and Roadster
I thought I should warn everyone. My Roadster's battery finally failed and needs to be replaced. While Tesla will replace it under my battery replacement contract (whenever they build a battery), they have told me that I must completely remove the Jdemo from the car for them to touch it. Not just disconnect it, but remove it. Putting it back in would void the warranty of the new battery. I would love to see Tesla work with Tony to make this an "approved" aftermarket upgrade, but that seems pretty remote. Just something to think about for those of you considering installing one. I will have to remove mine and not reinstall it until after the new battery's 3 year warranty expires. And if I put it in at that time, Tesla won't work on it again with it in place...

Under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, I'm not exactly sure Tesla's position is tenable. If they can show that the device somehow caused a failure, then they can deny a warranty claim. I think you could prove pretty clearly that it doesn't or didn't. Granted, you might end up in litigation with Tesla, but you would have a good likelihood of success. Tesla has this view that you cannot modify your (read: their) vehicle. That's just not supported by the law.

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester and Sbax
Under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, I'm not exactly sure Tesla's position is tenable. If they can show that the device somehow caused a failure, then they can deny a warranty claim. I think you could prove pretty clearly that it doesn't or didn't. Granted, you might end up in litigation with Tesla, but you would have a good likelihood of success. Tesla has this view that you cannot modify your (read: their) vehicle. That's just not supported by the law.
Good point, but I wonder if they could deny the work, based on possible (or feigned) safety concerns. It does tap into the high voltage system, after all.

Under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, I'm not exactly sure Tesla's position is tenable. If they can show that the device somehow caused a failure, then they can deny a warranty claim. I think you could prove pretty clearly that it doesn't or didn't.

I am not so certain. The Tesla battery pack (and in particular the cells) are designed for specific charge and discharge profiles that Tesla have tested and warranty. If you bypass that and DC charge directly, it seems reasonable for Tesla to claim that it is not normal usage.

A defence would be if Jdemo used exactly the same charge profile and limits that Tesla used (on the DC side) including (for example) the 70A/240V = 16.8kW limit. Does Jdemo charge faster than that, and taper off in exactly the same way?

A defence would be if Jdemo used exactly the same charge profile and limits that Tesla used (on the DC side) including (for example) the 70A/240V = 16.8kW limit.

Answering myself, I looked it up...

JdeMO for Tesla Roadster

2) How fast will the Roadster be able to charge?

Answer: It will charge at approximately 300-400 volts DC at up to 125 amps, or about 40-50kW. That means that it can charge from 20% to 80% of the battery usable capacity in approximately 45-55 minutes. The Roadster battery has a capacity of about 56kWh when new (no degradation). The pending upgraded battery from Tesla is 70kWh and will require over an hour to charge.

So, the answer is 'no'. jDeMO exceeds the Tesla AC charging rate of 16.8kW by a factor of two or three.

Also note jDeMO point #6:

6) Will JdeMO damage the car in any way?

Answer: No, if operating as designed. But, increasing the charge rate to any battery that has ever been designed in the history of mankind will likely shorten its lifespan.

6) Will JdeMO damage the car in any way?

Answer: No, if operating as designed. But, increasing the charge rate to any battery that has ever been designed in the history of mankind will likely shorten its lifespan.

Which is the same guidance that Tesla provides regarding Supercharging their cars.

Does Supercharging affect my battery?
The peak-charging rate of the battery may decrease slightly after a large number of high-rate charging sessions, such as those at Superchargers.

So, DC fast charge your Roadster when you need to, but not all the time, and your battery will be fine.

Here's an Electrek article with more explanation from Tesla.

Last edited:
Except regen produces the same power so it’s a grey area, Tesla will be admitting the regen is more than the battery can take. It’s not just the ‘charging’ rate we should be comparing to, but the Max regen rate also,