Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any interest in more traditional car club events? (Rallies, etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
Does anyone see TMC (or other Tesla-oriented groups) evolving to become more like other car clubs, with more events such as car shows, rallies, possibly even track events?

I get thinking about this whenever I attend an event with the Mercedes Benz Club (MBCA), to which I have belonged for many years. I still belong and attend because my spouse and I enjoy the events, and because I have many long-time friends in the local (Minuteman) section. No one has complained that I bring a Tesla to a Mercedes event!

Please pardon me if I get a little nostalgic here for a moment. Yesterday I was helping to judge the interiors of Mercedes at the annual Minuteman show here in eastern MA, and it was such a pleasure to be allowed to climb into the cars, with their lovely leather and wood, all cleaned up (well, most of them) to be shown and judged. I have tried to imagine if we will ever see a Tesla show, with cars sorted by class (model S in one class, Model X in another, roadsters in a third, and so on) and judged for cleanliness, originality and condition as these cars were.

Personally, I have attended several EV promotional events, such as those in National Drive Electric week. And maybe that is where our focus “should” be for now. And I know that some Tesla groups have had group road trips, although I have not yet been on one. But I am wondering if we’d ever get together for other types of events such as gymkhanas (fun to see how well you can navigate a slalom), quiz or time/distance rallies, or even track events.

What’s your vision? Will TMC evolve like this? Are Teslas too unconventional? Are there too few? Are Tesla cars not yet old enough and varied enough to warrant a car show? Are owners not interested? Just curious what others think about this.

Does anyone see TMC (or other Tesla-oriented groups) evolving to become more like other car clubs, with more events such as car shows, rallies, possibly even track events?
I can certainly see this happening, but I feel like there may still be too few owners for the enthusiast segment of things to really take off. I do hope that one day something like the annual homecoming event that BMW Z3/M Roadster/M Coupe owners used to have or something similar to Bimmerfest can be organized but, in the meantime, I think that outreach events may be a better focus to help draw more people into the EV space.

I did attend the NDEW event up in Cupertino over the weekend, talked with @doug for a while, met @SMAlset, ran into my old OA working one of the booths (though, I see her pretty frequently since she starting handling factory tours), and generally had a good time. That said, the attendance did seem a little sparse and much of the attendee interest centered around the Teslas that were on display and the 2018 Leaf that Nissan brought out for the event. Many of the other cars that owners brought to display (Bolt, Focus Electric, etc.) went largely ignored...

Reactions: David29
Many of the other cars that owners brought to display (Bolt, Focus Electric, etc.) went largely ignored...

That's just as well. American car companies, other than Tesla, do not know how to make quality automobiles and should just got out of business. Thank god that American engineering is far from this in other sectors (i.e. Apple).

Andrew

I also really like this idea. I recently participated in a National Drive Electric Week event and had a great time.

Tesla-specific events timed shortly after the first Model 3s are delivered to regular customers could draw a good turnout if Model 3s will be there.

I am sure many of the lucky early Model 3 owners would be happy to show off their new cars.