Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any interest in rebuilt title Model S cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rebuild them. If there is any interest, they come with a 1 year / 15k mile warranty. I'm based in Sacramento. Towing and or labor is provided by me to buyer's within 200 mile range. Past that, you would have to tow the car to my shop or find a shop that would do it and I would provide any replacement parts.

Reactions: dennisvab
I think I saw your ad on CL for the rebuilt AP1 75D.

I don't feel like it's worth 50K. Can get the same car from Tesla CPO with 4 year warranty for a bit more than that, or a 85D for even less.

Salvage title cars only make sense if the price is very compelling. Otherwise, can be more trouble than they are worth especially with a Tesla.

Reactions: jaguar36
I think I saw your ad on CL for the rebuilt AP1 75D.

I don't feel like it's worth 50K. Can get the same car from Tesla CPO with 4 year warranty for a bit more than that, or a 85D for even less.

Salvage title cars only make sense if the price is very compelling. Otherwise, can be more trouble than they are worth especially with a Tesla.

Yeah that one is overpriced right now with Tesla's end of quarter price drops.

Yeah that one is overpriced right now with Tesla's end of quarter price drops.

I don't think these are simply "end of quarter" drops. Keep in mind that we are seeing expiration of 2 and 3 year leases now, so I think the new prices are here to stay. Tesla doesn't necessarily drop the prices on CPO, it's simply a supply/demand issue.

Anyway, a salvage 75D will never sell for anything near 50K to a savvy buyer.

There's been a 85D with salvage title for sale for $48 in SF for probably 5 months now. Price is still nowhere close to where it would be worth the risk.

Reactions: bnsfengineer
that and the lack of support Tesla offers to "salvaged" or "rebuilt" cars is well known. rebuilding them to keep, drive etc makes sense if you have the resources, time, space and energy to put into such a project. (hi rich)

the road ahead of you will be a tough one if you think you can approach CPO type pricing levels.

where opportunity lies, is in parting out salvaged cars, but again, time, space and money.

good luck!

Reactions: Cheburashka
that and the lack of support Tesla offers to "salvaged" or "rebuilt" cars is well known. rebuilding them to keep, drive etc makes sense if you have the resources, time, space and energy to put into such a project. (hi rich)

the road ahead of you will be a tough one if you think you can approach CPO type pricing levels.

where opportunity lies, is in parting out salvaged cars, but again, time, space and money.

good luck!
I'm trying to do both but the cars sell for a ridiculous amount of money. I offer warranty to local buyers and I'm able to service these cars also.

Tesla overcharges for everything anyway. $175 an hour for labor that they don't profit on. Hard to believe. And the actual cost of purchasing the service agreement is just crazy high for what they do.

Reactions: Olds442
For some reason, I'm super nervous about a salvage title EV. I have owned ICE salvage titles before. I am just nervous that there may be a greeter chance of an electrical fire in a salvage EV - like some slight damage that cause an electrical short 3 years down the road or something. Not sure if my concern is even valid.

I'm trying to do both but the cars sell for a ridiculous amount of money. I offer warranty to local buyers and I'm able to service these cars also.

Tesla overcharges for everything anyway. $175 an hour for labor that they don't profit on. Hard to believe. And the actual cost of purchasing the service agreement is just crazy high for what they do.
i hope you succeed. i personally think that part of the success of EV's is reliant on shops being able to work on them. i don't believe that Tesla keeping it "all in house" is best for the market or future of EVs in general.

i mean, you open source all the patents to help the push, but don't want independent shops performing simple repairs? seems counter intelligent but i'm sure a lawyer will respond that "any mistake by that shop, something happens, it's Tesla in the news."

i hope that changes. at some point my warranty will be gone and I'll be looking for cost effective ways to fix a door handle or .... who knows?

good luck to you!

• Love
Reactions: robby
For some reason, I'm super nervous about a salvage title EV. I have owned ICE salvage titles before. I am just nervous that there may be a greeter chance of an electrical fire in a salvage EV - like some slight damage that cause an electrical short 3 years down the road or something. Not sure if my concern is even valid.

This is why pre-crash photos are key. I won't touch a car that has any indication of battery pack damage.

Fortunately, the way these cars are designed, it has to be a MASSIVE accident to damage the battery pack, and those kinds of cars are just not rebuilt.

Why not post the actual cars you have available in the For Sale section?

There obviously is a demand for them, it just depends on the cost.

Probably because on this forum, people are notorious for thread-crapping for sale posts (even though it is against the forum rules). It's probably far easier to sell them on other outlets than to deal with every Tom, Dick, and Harry putting their 0.02 about pricing on a car they have no intent on purchasing.

This is why pre-crash photos are key. I won't touch a car that has any indication of battery pack damage.

Fortunately, the way these cars are designed, it has to be a MASSIVE accident to damage the battery pack, and those kinds of cars are just not rebuilt.

I post the cars with the pictures of the damage 100% of the time. Out of like 16 cars we've bought, 2 cars had battery pack damage but they were literally rammed into a tree or pole at like 70 miles per hour. And even then, the modules were fine.

I post the cars with the pictures of the damage 100% of the time. Out of like 16 cars we've bought, 2 cars had battery pack damage but they were literally rammed into a tree or pole at like 70 miles per hour. And even then, the modules were fine.

Yeah, I've seen your cars. I would not hesitate to buy one if I were in the market. Keep me in mind for a Model S 100D with Blue exterior and White interior. :D

Took the car to the local Service Center and was told that as the car has a Salvage Title, Supercharging has been disabled. And, I will also no longer receive any over the air updates and I cannot bring the car to them for service! I bought the car from my brother 5 months ago with the understanding that the previous owner claimed that repairs had been made by a Tesla approved body shop and that Tesla had checked the car out and approved all repairs. He had bought the car June of 2017 and all of the time in his and my ownership, there has been no problem with supercharging or service - in Seattle and Dallas - and no mention of this salvage title situation. I am hoping there is some way to resolve this! I am glad this change did not happen on a trip!

FYI, Tesla has a new policy for disabling Supercharging on all rebuilt cars, even if recertified by Tesla themselves.

Does anyone know if a root would re-enable this functionality?

FYI, Tesla has a new policy for disabling Supercharging on all rebuilt cars, even if recertified by Tesla themselves.

Does anyone know if a root would re-enable this functionality?

All my cars are rooted and supercharging is enabled. It's simply a config change. Firmware updates still come but it's a possibility Tesla would stop sending updates to rebuilt cars. However, with rooted cars, we can send updates also :)