Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any iPod Bluetooth adapter recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Chico

MX 85D, MS P85
Dec 30, 2013
NorCal
I've had my MS for two weeks and my only real complaint regards the audio/phone system. It's very frustrating (unattractive UI, no audio input jack, USB: no iPod or iPhone connectivity or interface, clunky database library, no shuffle, no playlists, etc., Bluetooth: can't have separate phone and media devices, flaky pairing, minimal AVRCP support, etc.)

Not to rehash these issues, just a question for the forum:

I have several 160 GB iPod Classics that I'd like to use in the car (one at a time) while charging from the USB port.

Is anyone successfully using a bluetooth device that connects to the headphone jack of an iPod and reliably pairs with the Tesla audio system?

If someone is doing this successfully, what brand/model?

Thanks...

Don't have the answer but agree completely. Cannot understand how a high tech car like the Model S could be built without Ipod connectivity. Almost every car in production has a way to connect an Ipod or some other MP3 player.

Yep. The sad thing is that the simple way to connect an iPod to the Model S is to connect an FM transmitter to the iPod and receive it on the Tesla FM radio, poor sound quality and all. Just like I had to do with my '90s cars when the iPods first came out.

Maybe Tesla can market this as a "Retro" feature... :rolleyes:

Don't have the answer but agree completely. Cannot understand how a high tech car like the Model S could be built without Ipod connectivity. Almost every car in production has a way to connect an Ipod or some other MP3 player.
I was disappointed to find last week that my $20k Chevy Cruze Eco rental had fantastic USB iPod/iPhone integration that could play ALAC and display on-device cover art, and my 5x more expensive Model S has nothing. Depressing.

I was disappointed to find last week that my $20k Chevy Cruze Eco rental had fantastic USB iPod/iPhone integration that could play ALAC and display on-device cover art, and my 5x more expensive Model S has nothing. Depressing.
Yeah, a bit depressing. I just assumed it would be a spectacular audio system, like the rest of the car, so I never examined it before I bought. Sigh.

Anyway, back to the original question: has anyone had decent luck with any kind of bluetooth adapter for iPods? It would be nice if it could be charged from the USB port while operating, but I haven't been able to identify any that can do that. Anyone?

I've had my MS for two weeks and my only real complaint regards the audio/phone system. It's very frustrating (unattractive UI, no audio input jack, USB: no iPod or iPhone connectivity or interface, clunky database library, no shuffle, no playlists, etc., Bluetooth: can't have separate phone and media devices, flaky pairing, minimal AVRCP support, etc.)

Not to rehash these issues, just a question for the forum:

I have several 160 GB iPod Classics that I'd like to use in the car (one at a time) while charging from the USB port.

Is anyone successfully using a bluetooth device that connects to the headphone jack of an iPod and reliably pairs with the Tesla audio system?

If someone is doing this successfully, what brand/model?

Thanks...

A year late in reply but I have tried 2 different brand iPod Bluetooth dongles on my 160 GB Classic without success. Both will pair with my wife's Lexus but neither with my MS (with latest 6.1 firmware). I have no trouble pairing my 2nd Gen. iPad or my iPhone 5s.

Of course my wife's Lexus will also allow two Bluetooth connections, one for audio and one for phone which the MS also lacks.

I have used iTunes Match but it tends to burn through my data plan.