Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any issue with having the switching and solar gear outside and Powerwall in garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Hi,

This is probably a silly questions, but I will ask. The most logical spot to install the solar inverter and any gear connected to grid is on the outside of our garage right next to the PG&E meter and boxes. I prefer to put the powerwall(s) inside the garage so it is out of the weather and potential vandals. Is there any issue with doing this? Is is common?

The installers should be able to give you an absolute answer.
However, in our case our switching panel is in our basement, inverters are on the outside of the house, the PowerWalls are inside the garage. I don’t think you will have any trouble ;)

Reactions: jboy210
In my case:
Service Panels (house loads) - Basement
Inverters - Basement
ATS (for backup generator) - Basement
PV Loads Panel (inverters AC disconnect) - Basement
Generation Combiner Panel (inverters and PWs AC disconnect) - Outside next to meter
Backup Gateway - Inside Garage
Powerwalls - Inside Garage

OP: Your setup is exactly the same as the installation in my house in Hawaii. The one thing the installer mentioned is that they are locating the powerwalls on a side wall so they will not be exactly hit by cars entering or leaving. The three powerwalls are being stacked front-to-back on the floor.

This is exactly what I did. And my powerwalls are on the other side of inside the garage. They wanted other boxes inside but it was not good for me. Meter side of garage is where my wife parks her M3 and I park my MS next to her do have boxes on the wall would be issue for the wife. We also had two wall chargers installed next to our cars with 8’ cords. Load balance. All great.

My Powerwall, Powerwall Gateway, and Enlighten gateway are all outside on the north side of the house with the meter. The local utility had to upgrade my meter to one that supports two way power as well as having to install a production meter for production incentive calculations.

Everything except the Powerwall is on the ungated side of the house from the street it's hard to tell that anything is there since it is flush on the house and "hidden" behind my garbage and recycling cans. The Powerwall is on the same side of the house but behind a gated fence.

We chose this set up because our garage is 2 cars but is very tight already even with sedans. The side of the house the equipment is on is protected from direct rain due to the roof awning overhang and it doesn't get much below freezing here in the Pacific Northwest so keeping it warm wasn't a consideration for 90% of the year. All of this was suggested and approved by the local Tesla authorized installer that did our work.

In hindsight I may have moved the Powerwall inside but that would have required additional conduits and piercing of the garage envelope. With this set up the already existing entry point in to the garage to the electrical panel was the only thing needed so no more holes were drilled. It was simpler and cheaper this way, but again I may have considered putting the Powerwall inside to keep it more protected.

Hi,

This is probably a silly questions, but I will ask. The most logical spot to install the solar inverter and any gear connected to grid is on the outside of our garage right next to the PG&E meter and boxes. I prefer to put the powerwall(s) inside the garage so it is out of the weather and potential vandals. Is there any issue with doing this? Is is common?

That's how I have it. I think that's common.

Great. Unfortunately I do not have permission to view the images.
Hmmm...

full

full

Hi,

I believe that there are some new regulations in California that prohibit a battery backup unit in a garage unless it is protected by a steel bollard. Might want to get it installed before the first of the year.

I believe that there are some new regulations in California that prohibit a battery backup unit in a garage unless it is protected by a steel bollard. Might want to get it installed before the first of the year.

First of year is not going to happen. Steel bollards in front of potential fire sources had been a thing for years in California. Any condo has to have one or two in front of water heater in garage, or any gas lines near a driveway. My rental has them and it was built in 2013/14. You can buy one for $90-120 at Home Depot.

Do you need them is you wall mount?

First of year is not going to happen. Steel bollards in front of potential fire sources had been a thing for years in California. Any condo has to have one or two in front of water heater in garage, or any gas lines near a driveway. My rental has them and it was built in 2013/14. You can buy one for $90-120 at Home Depot.

Do you need them is you wall mount?
Doesn't look like you can wall mount

608.2.3: Stationary Battery Arrays: Stationary battery arrays cannot exceed 50kWh and must be spaced 3’ apart and spaced 3’ from walls and other equipment.

Also

608.1.5: Vehicle Impact Protection: Vehicle impact protection (where applicable) is now required in accordance with section 312. This protection is typically provided by 4” diameter steel bollards placed no more than 4’ apart and should rise no less than 3’ above grade.

Challenges for batteries in the California fire code

Doesn't look like you can wall mount

608.2.3: Stationary Battery Arrays: Stationary battery arrays cannot exceed 50kWh and must be spaced 3’ apart and spaced 3’ from walls and other equipment.

Also

608.1.5: Vehicle Impact Protection: Vehicle impact protection (where applicable) is now required in accordance with section 312. This protection is typically provided by 4” diameter steel bollards placed no more than 4’ apart and should rise no less than 3’ above grade.

Challenges for batteries in the California fire code

That 3 foot from a wall is going to be a challenge for any battery system. I hope they amend that or I will probably not get a powerwall. Not sure where one would put it inside or out and want to run 3+ feet of electrical conduit between wall and the Powerwall. Also does the 3 foot foot between "other equipment" mean Powerwalls need to be separated by 3 feet from each other?

If these are the codes and there is no variance I will likely not be able to install a Powerwall and will need to install something like a gas generator for backup from the PSPS.

Last edited: