Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any issues giving the car the beans when cold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't done it on this car, but curious about that, since I want to take care of it. I never do that on my ICE cars, always giving the oil a chance to heat up to at least 150F before any hard acceleration. I'm thinking maybe the motors don't need any heat before accelerating hard, but the battery probably does, no? Also curious if you just go WOT when cold, if the car only accelerates as hard as it's safe for both the battery and motor(s), so I don't have to worry about that like on an ICE car. Thank you.

From a base engineering view it is likely prudent not to push any mechanical device when hard. That said this car mechanically does just fine when cold and there is little to no damage pushing it hard when cold. It uses low viscosity synthetic oil in the drivetrain and the battery will self regulate.

it is likely prudent not to push any mechanical device when hard
o_O

I've asked this question and the general consensus was no - the car will prevent maximum power output until "it's ready." The gearbox is also so stupid simple that I doubt there's much "warming up" required there, either - it's literally just a few gears.

But... I have mechanical sympathy so I wait until I've at least driven a little bit. Probably completely pointless but old habits die hard.

Thank you guys. I was talking about maybe accelerating hard (not WOT though) for a second or two if needed, just to safely get up to speed and avoid getting rear-ended. Seems like it wouldn't be an issue, so great news :). Also glad to hear the car accelerates only as hard as it's safe for it, so nothing to worry about. Thanks again for the help.

Oh, and as a side note, somebody mentioned synthetic fluid and gears, meaning our cars must have some kind of differentials. Have never read anything about them. If somebody has a link to that discussion, please post it. I'm also curious if we need to ever change the oil on the differentials; haven't read anything about that.

Thank you guys. I was talking about maybe accelerating hard (not WOT though) for a second or two if needed, just to safely get up to speed and avoid getting rear-ended. Seems like it wouldn't be an issue, so great news :). Also glad to hear the car accelerates only as hard as it's safe for it, so nothing to worry about. Thanks again for the help.

Oh, and as a side note, somebody mentioned synthetic fluid and gears, meaning our cars must have some kind of differentials. Have never read anything about them. If somebody has a link to that discussion, please post it. I'm also curious if we need to ever change the oil on the differentials; haven't read anything about that.

mine has over 50,000 miles on it and it goes full throttle at least 20 times a day with at least 10 of those being full throttle launches. Tesla says the BMS is smarter than us, so I don't worry about anything. It still also goes 3.0-3.1 0-60mph regularly even after beating on it non stop for 18 months... My corvette didn't see half the beating the tesla is, and it threw a rod through the block at 60,000 miles. I am 100% a believer in EVs now.

Should be no concern with the batteries or the drivetrain. Do take into consideration that at the end of the day Teslas are still cars built with a lot of "regular car" components, there are oils and greases throughout various components of the car that could benefit from warming up.