TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Any issues with the glove box?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Kelmn07, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Kelmn07

Kelmn07 Member

My car has been on its way since May 29th and has been at its last stop before final destination (home delivery) since June 6th for 'final inspection'. Originally I was told it was for updating the firmware, the glove box, and I think something with the brakes (I think the firmware was for the brakes). June 8th I was told there was a crack in the glass that would need to be replaced.

June 13th I'm told VINs were mixed and I had 0 issues with any glass and it was just waiting for a manager sign off and to finalize payments so the car can be scheduled once sign off secured (car could not be scheduled for delivery until paid in full).

June 20th I'm being told it's still waiting on a replacement part for the glove box. I'm curious what could be wrong with the glove box that warrants them holding the car for this long? Has anyone had to repair a glove box recently and was this timing typical?

It's extremely frustrating that the story seems to continually be changing and I don't really trust what I'm being told any longer. Is it worth asking to speak to a manager at this point or are we all just stuck having to wait on and on with no recourse?

2. fluxemag

fluxemag Member

I had the latch on my glove box replaced yesterday because it kept flopping open under acceleration and bumps.

3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

A lot of parts are in short supply, because they are using them to build new cars. So they just have to wrangle some out of the supply chain, I've been reading that some parts can take really long times. Since you are doing home delivery, I'm assuming that you are no where near a service center, so unless you are willing to drive to one when the parts arrive, it is probably best to wait.

4. Kelmn07

Kelmn07 Member

How long did you have to wait for a part?

5. Kelmn07

Kelmn07 Member

Actually I am less than an hour from a service center but it's out of state so we cannot accept delivery at that center - but it's where we'll ave to bring the car should anything else pop up. The center that my car is parked at is 4-5 hours away. I'd rather accept delivery and then schedule the fix at the closer service center but I imagine they would not want to provide a loaner for it.

I was thinking of offering that up as a solution since we sold our car to finalize payment and it's starting to make our work lives difficult. My husband works near the center and could easily drop it off on a workday.

6. fluxemag

fluxemag Member

I scheduled the appointment a week before, so I think they could have gotten it faster than that.

7. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Our glove box started to pop open on us. There seems th be some resistance in the release keeping it from fully engaging. We will be watching it.

8. davedavedave

davedavedave Member

It sounds like a fix that could easily be handled by a Tesla ranger - if throw that idea at them too.

Once came to my house the other day to fix some trim that had popped out and I couldn’t manage to fix. He showed up exactly on time at 9am and replaced 4 clips, then topped off the wiper fluid and my tires in 15 minutes. Great experience!

9. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Yes i have a issue with the glove box. It’s too small

10. tashtibet

tashtibet Member

my glove box opens at the beginning -it's been awhile that I can open it-I was thinking may be next update will fix it. Moreover, my owners manual is the only stuff in there.

11. WallyP

WallyP Member

My glovebox does not remain closed, and the next available appointment at my nearest SC is 2 weeks away.

How do I contact Tesla to schedule mobile service?