Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Issues with your Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So sorry to hear that, Kira. Are you in places with coverage by Rogers? Tesla uses AT&T that roams on Rogers in Canada (at least in my S) and I find it's not great coverage. Could that be the problem depending on where you are on the Island? I just spent the weekend with no coverage in the interior with my 3, but in the City I can get full bars on the LTE in my 3, and only have a few bars at most in my S. I thought they much improved the reception in the 3 but you likely have an antenna or other issue. Hopefully they fix it fast!

Loss of connectivity is common in BC but not when you travel through the States. Then it works great, at least in my experience.
I recently drove around parts of Vancouver Island (Nanaimo and south) in a Model S with no loss of LTE coverage at all anywhere. Of course I imagine most of thr interior and points North would have very limited coverage. >60,000km of Tesla driving has made me notice how many odd cellular coverage blank spaces there are, including quite a few Northern California coastal areas. Unless satellite coverage becomes a practical alternative or increased mapping data storage happens I think we'll continue to have some strange blank spots for some time, regardless of roaming arrangements.

I recently drove around parts of Vancouver Island (Nanaimo and south) in a Model S with no loss of LTE coverage at all anywhere. Of course I imagine most of thr interior and points North would have very limited coverage. >60,000km of Tesla driving has made me notice how many odd cellular coverage blank spaces there are, including quite a few Northern California coastal areas. Unless satellite coverage becomes a practical alternative or increased mapping data storage happens I think we'll continue to have some strange blank spots for some time, regardless of roaming arrangements.

We drove out to Shirley, a little town past Sooke, this past weekend. Normally we lose our cell service just past Sooke, so I was expecting that the car would lose LTE as well. It did, but fortunately it continued to route us to our destination, so I suppose it had saved that route.

On the way back towards Sooke, a warning came on the screen, telling us we had lost Traction Control and Automatic Emergency Braking. I wasn't too concerned, as I figured it was a software glitch and that I could likely fix it by powering down and restarting the car. What didn't show up on the display and was a little more troublesome is that I lost regenerative braking as well. It's funny how just one week of 1-pedal driving has completely ruined me for going back to having to constantly switch back and forth between two pedals.

I pulled over in a parking lot once we got into Sooke and powered down & restarted the car. Sure enough, all was fine - including the regenerative braking. I did call into Tesla on the way home and let them know about the issue so they could note it. We regained LTE after we had passed through Sooke on the way back to Victoria.

We drove out to Shirley, a little town past Sooke, this past weekend...
The infinite improbability principle has been activated. In an X90D I was at Orveas Bay enjoying Point no Point as well as the resort. Zero cellular reception, but the X still had complete mapping. I wonder if the caching is different between the S, X and 3? That could explain some fo the difference, maybe. With or without reception it is seriously beautiful there!:)

The infinite improbability principle has been activated. In an X90D I was at Orveas Bay enjoying Point no Point as well as the resort. Zero cellular reception, but the X still had complete mapping. I wonder if the caching is different between the S, X and 3? That could explain some fo the difference, maybe. With or without reception it is seriously beautiful there!:)

It is beautiful! I wanted to try "Shirley Delicious", a little café there. We'll definitely go again, the food was delicious and the hot-out-of-the-oven baking and incredibly friendly staff were real highlights. Glad you enjoyed your visit to the area!

• Love
Reactions: jbcarioca
The top section of the drive selector stock keeps lifting up a bit. Does anybody knows how to fix it?

I brought up this issue with Service at Tesla on Lawrence Ave, Toronto. They said they were aware of the problem but do not have an official fix. They noted that my car had the problem and when an official fix is made, they would contact me.

I brought up this issue with Service at Tesla on Lawrence Ave, Toronto. They said they were aware of the problem but do not have an official fix. They noted that my car had the problem and when an official fix is made, they would contact me.

same here..little push sets it down for a bit

I had this and raised it when I took my car to the Mississauga service centre and they fixed it no questions asked. My left stock is exhibiting the same problem now so I will have them look at it next time I take it in.

So far 3 of us in this thread are having the same issue. This behavior continues no matter what I do. Though this won't happen when it is plugged in and charging.

RedM3, you mentioned about the lose magnet, can you please let me know if you hear the constant clicking sound too when the port cover is closed, before you have the magnet reattached?

Hmm.. I didn't hear any clicking.. just had the magnet reattached at the Service centre today.

• Informative
Reactions: stickla
I had this and raised it when I took my car to the Mississauga service centre and they fixed it no questions asked. My left stock is exhibiting the same problem now so I will have them look at it next time I take it in.

My guess is the "fix" is to get a bit of super-glue in there. It's minor but it was the first defect I noticed in my car and my eyes seem to still land on it most days!

So, I'm sitting at Tesla Oakville ( for the second time in under a week ) having some things looked at.

Last Friday, I took the day off to prep for the first trip to the cottage of the season, and the M3's first trip north. I was out in the driveway testing some cabling I put together for charging at the cottage.

Out of curiosity, I got down on hands and knees and had a look under the car, only to notice what appeared to be about a 3/8" diameter hex bolt hanging down about 1 - 1/2 inches out of the bottom of the battery, in the middle, about 1/3 of the way back from the front of the car. Too far in from the front or sides to get a good look.

Called oakville and arranged to come directly in. There is apparently a wiring channel that runs front to back on the underside of the battery and this was a bolt from the cover of that channel, not an actual battery bolt. They tightened the bolt and checked all of the battery bolts, all good. Also had the right hand stalk cover fixed at that time as well, and it has remained in place so far.

Car performed well on the trip north, my charging solution worked brilliantly and I was very pleased with how little the trip cost compared to driving my Mazda CX9. About $8,00 for the round trip in the M3 vs at least $100 in gas for the CX9.

On to the latest issues....
Sometime over the weekend the little metal plate fell off the inside of the charger port door. Luckily I noticed when it happened and retrieved the piece.

On Monday I got the 'Airbag system requires service' pop-up. This persisted through the day on Monday and through Tuesday. Tried resetting the display a couple of times, didnt help. Wednesday the pop-up became intermittant and later in the day the car thought there was someone sitting in the front passenger seat when there clearly wasn't. Had to do the seat belt up to stop the warning chime from going off. Yesterday evening it was alternating between air bag warning and phantom rider in the passenger seat. This morning it seems firmly stuck on the phantom rider.

Told them about the problems when I arrived and the service tech said both those issues were related to a common connector under the passenger seat.

Hopefully have it resolved soon and be back on the road.

Will keep you all posted.

• Informative
Reactions: McFlurri
Here are my issues so far.
Passenger side mirror has badly touched up paint
Excessive wind noise, sounds like window is open even though they are all shut
Wipers judder at low speeds
Black screen when backup camera turns on
LTE dropouts
Radio dropouts
Audio crackling on certain songs

I have my service appointment on Monday at Toronto-Lawrence, wish me luck.

I just got a stone chip on my windshield this morning. Does that count? :(

Oakville fixed my brake pad clips a couple of weeks ago, but otherwise it’s been pretty good.

I do lose LTE around the Burlington Skyway pretty frequently though.

I just got a stone chip on my windshield this morning. Does that count? :(

Oakville fixed my brake pad clips a couple of weeks ago, but otherwise it’s been pretty good.

I do lose LTE around the Burlington Skyway pretty frequently though.
On the 401 the other night I had a rock (assuming it was a rock) come up and deliver an ungodly loud crack against the windshield. I can't see where it impacted though... I totally expected damage. Sorry you got a chip.

I have that too -- almost like a speaker is blown -- but only for certain songs and it hasn't happened lately so I didn't know how to show it to service to duplicate it. Is there any particular song that it happens on? Everytime it happened, I went to the next song, without noting the song, and it hasn't happened for a while now. I took an update recently and I wonder if that fixed it. In any event, I would appreciate to know the outcome of this when you car is serviced. Thanks.

Yes, satellite would be great but there's not much we can do about that. Roaming issues, however, have been a problem in Canada starting with version 6:

3G connectivity issues since V6.xxx

I stopped connecting to home wifi because it took a long time after leaving home for the cell to connect if I did that. Then it would drop a strong signal for no reason at all -- well for the "roaming" reason since it was not happening down south. I worked with service here, with others, to try to figure it out (when there was only Powell Street). It's now down to a minimum of drops on the Ss here, and now it seems to be about the same with the 3s.

This is from the thread in the link above:

Tesla doesn't roam in the same way you would with your phone, they use a connection through Jasper Networks to avoid roaming charges with local carriers. This is part of an alliance with many service providers worldwide and includes Rogers. My understanding is that they rely on the APN settings to connect directly to Jasper. This is why a trace route from the car never shows Rogers routers in the list.

So apparently it's not the same as roaming with our phones and this may be at the route of our connection problems and drops.

But @Kira's problem appears unrelated to the usual drop of the signal we see likely resulting from roaming conflicts.

Last edited:
Has anyone encountered issues using the speakerphone in the car? It seems to be intermittent. I've had a few people tell me that they hear an echo of their voice when they speak, but others says it is very clear. On calls, I've resorted to putting the call on mute when I am not speaking and it fixes the echoing problem.

edyee

I had the car delivered yesterday to Halifax, NS and there's a gouge along the driver side rear quarter panel, which I assume was from the transport truck. Nobody was home when it was delivered, now I have to see what Tesla's service is like out here in Atlantic Canada. I assume they'll offer to repair at a body shop but i'm really disappointed to need a bodywork repair after 0 hours ownership.

Attachments

• IMG_6370.jpg
    IMG_6370.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Informative
Reactions: McFlurri
On the 401 the other night I had a rock (assuming it was a rock) come up and deliver an ungodly loud crack against the windshield. I can't see where it impacted though... I totally expected damage. Sorry you got a chip.

That’s pretty scary when something like that happens! I had just run my 3 through the touchless wash, was back on the QEW for like 2 mins and then there was the spider crack. It wasn’t even that loud. Gah! Got Speedy to fix it as best they could this aft though.

Reactions: yyzunderdog
I have that too -- almost like a speaker is blown -- but only for certain songs and it hasn't happened lately so I didn't know how to show it to service to duplicate it.

I had this too with a kids song, Wiggle Your Finger by Shari Lewis. Haven't had a chance to retry because slacker won't let me play it again. I have a video of it and plan to show it to the Service Centre when I go visit.

Has anyone been to any SC yet to have something replaced where they had to order a part? I've been waiting since May 23 (a day before I started this thread!) I feel bad for anyone who may have a critical issue and has to wait for parts.