Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any key fob issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my CPO S60 on Sunday about 200+ miles from my house and it had a key fob issue. My delivery guy could not get either key to work and being sunday there were no service guys. So I traveled back home using the app as my key. Instead of range anxiety I kept getting "bar" anxiety. As well as the app works when there is service, imagine without service, not only can you not start or open your car, you can't even call to get help...

If this was true, we'd likely all have non-working credit cards all the time as well. It's more likely that most of those crappy mag-stripe hotel locks are just problematic. The car would have to emit a massive magnetic field to erase a magstripe card, and we'd have other problems. There is very little stray magnetic energy running around the car.

The credit card analogy isn't actually true. Magnetic stripe cards come in two varieties, depending on whether or not they're made to be reprogrammed. Credit cards are "high-coercivity" cards and require a magnetic field strength of about 4000 G to wipe. The hotel key-cards, which can be reprogrammed by that little gizmo on the reception desk, are low-coercivity and can be wiped at about 300G.

There's a Wikipedia section on it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_stripe_card#Magnetic_stripe_coercivity

Having said that, though, I'd still be astounded if there were a 300G field inside these cars. So, yeah, I vote for "crappy hotel lock" too.

That's not what we're discussing here BTW - we're talking about other issues. Get thee to a service center promptly!

I have an appointment tomorrow. I guess I wasn't clear with my post. The fob works intermittently but none of the buttons work. Sometimes I can approach the car with the fob and the handles come out, but when I get into the car, the car says there is no key. Sometimes nothing happens at all. And yes the delivery guy did change the batteries.