Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any last minute guesses?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

woodisgood

Optimustic Pessimist
Jul 26, 2018
San Francisco
Any predictions on what might be surprising about the Y? Certainly we have a pretty good idea that it will resemble the 3, and Elon's given us basic parameters on what to expect with range and price. But what about the little things - will Tesla surprise us with some innovation? Something new in the interior? New door handles? A new style of rear hatch perhaps? Additional hardware for autonomous driving?

Or will this be a larger 3 inside and out with a fairly normal hatch and a few manufacturing advances, such as reduced wiring and elimination of the 12v battery?

I'm surprised there have been no leaks, and the rumor mill has been fairly quiet too. Should be fun tomorrow.

Reactions: byeLT4
As the mass market car, I don't expect too much surprises for the Y. If anything, perhaps a surprise announcement on the S and X lines.

After the dust settle, see below for my estimates of price points and base specs for all Tesla models. This including the Model Y reveal and price history and adjustments anticipated.

Tesla Lineup.JPG

As with the initial version of the Model X, there may be extra packages that would be available at config or afterwards.
  • Tow package (Model X Price = $750)
  • Accessory Hitch (Model X Price = $200)
  • Subzero Weather package (Model X Price = $1,000)
  • Roof rack package
  • Seat Config (5, 6, or 7) (Model X Price = $2,000-$6,000)
  • Smart Air suspension ($2,500)

Reactions: woodisgood
I have a friend who has been working on the Y project. He says the car will blow everyone away with how amazing it is. He says it's not just a big 3. He's a good dude, did not give details. He was under the impression that the reveal would not take place for quite some time bc 'this will cannibalize sales from the other vehicles. It is that advanced.'
I'm tempted to guess that it'll have improvements in efficiency, power, and range. Thinking about 800 volt architecture to keep up with Porsche

I remember a thread like this before I went to the MX reveal. At that time, there was an original concept model, but the details weren’t fully known. Needless to say, at the event everyone was blown away with what Tesla engineered. Problem was that despite developing revolutionary features, they over-engineered it. They’ve learned from that, Elon even admitted so.

My bet is that the MY will be a simple crossover with a slightly different front fascia as the M3. There may be a couple revolutionary (or evolutionary) design changes to draw new customers, but by and large it will be a simple design to save on costs. I’m on the fence about a MS or MX change. I still think both look futuristic and don’t believe the appearance is problematic to future sales.

Zero chance on FW doors. Zero chance there will be more than 5 seats. Jump seats are out of the question because of wheelbase and price point... plus that will cannibalize MS and MX sales. I also don’t think there will be a true towing capacity besides the capability of an accessory hitch or small uHaul trailer.

As the mass market car, I don't expect too much surprises for the Y. If anything, perhaps a surprise announcement on the S and X lines.

After the dust settle, see below for my estimates of price points and base specs for all Tesla models. This including the Model Y reveal and price history and adjustments anticipated.

View attachment 386027

As with the initial version of the Model X, there may be extra packages that would be available at config or afterwards.
  • Tow package (Model X Price = $750)
  • Accessory Hitch (Model X Price = $200)
  • Subzero Weather package (Model X Price = $1,000)
  • Roof rack package
  • Seat Config (5, 6, or 7) (Model X Price = $2,000-$6,000)
  • Smart Air suspension ($2,500)

Well done... can you share your spreadsheet?

I have a friend who has been working on the Y project. He says the car will blow everyone away with how amazing it is. He says it's not just a big 3. He's a good dude, did not give details. He was under the impression that the reveal would not take place for quite some time bc 'this will cannibalize sales from the other vehicles. It is that advanced.'
I'm tempted to guess that it'll have improvements in efficiency, power, and range. Thinking about 800 volt architecture to keep up with Porsche
Let’s see how this post ages tomorrow. I hope you are right.

Give me:
360 degree camera
Heated steering wheel
Rear view mirror wide-angle camera
HUD
and oh, for the fun of it, CarPlay

.... and all of the advantages of my Cadillac will be neutralized.

None of those are overly complex, but I gotta tell you - all of them are pretty spectacular features in their own right.

Now, let me rent (lease) a Model 3 until the Y is available, and I’m all in.