TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Any Lease Takeovers in Canada?

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by Phthalate, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Phthalate

Phthalate Member

I'm an impatient early Model 3 reservation holder who wants to go electric sooner than later. Being on the east coast of Canada, I suspect I won't get my 3 for another 2 years.

Looking around to see if anyone in Canada has a lease takeover they'd like to do (as I'm assuming taking over one from the US is near impossible/big pain in the ass)

Not picky on the car, it just needs to be a Tesla.

2. Al604

Al604 Member

3. Phthalate

Phthalate Member

Thanks for the share, I'm just looking for the cheapest and quickest way to get into a Tesla.

4. myblubu

myblubu Member

Just curious, what makes it hard to transfer a car from the US to Canada?

5. Phthalate

Phthalate Member

Call me ignorant but I actually haven't looked into the details of an international lease transfer.

Based on my experience doing trade to the US and dealing with money payments and transfers across the boarder, I can only assume it's a pain. The banking system in the US is very different from what it is here in Canada. If it isn't a pain and a world of cars are available to me, I would jump for joy. If anyone has any information regarding an international lease transfer from the US to Canada, please share. I will go do research now.

6. Gen3

Gen3 Member

US Spec tesla a are prohibited from being imported to Canada. They are not on the approved list, because Tesla does not want them on the list.

7. Phthalate

Phthalate Member

Well that takes care of that.

8. myblubu

myblubu Member

Wow! Interesting. Never even thought there would be much difference other than the english/metric and odometer, etc. Never would have thought that would have been an issue. live and learn - thanks!

9. Phthalate

Phthalate Member

I'll leave this at: If anyone in Canada wants to get out of their Model S lease, shoot me a message, though I won't hold my breath. Makes far more sense to just wait for the 3 anyway.

10. Gen3

Gen3 Member

Its possible as far as I know to switch the units, but I'm not sure how. There was a thread about autopilot going well above speed limit if you set the units to the opposite of where you are. I don't know why tesla won't allow importing.

11. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

There are a few technical things to "Canadianize" the car
    Daytime running lights
    Red seatbelt sockets

among others

But I understand it's as @Gen3 says; Tesla did not wish to add used Teslas to the import list. USA may import used Canadian Teslas.....

12. Al604

Al604 Member

The MS 60 is probably the cheapest lease you will find.

There's a few older MS's on craigslist and autotrader for around 60K cdn.