Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any logical sense in order fulfillment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of people in your same boat. Biggest issue is that the "within 2 weeks" was wrong. It takes longer to two weeks to make a new car from date of order. They were previously matching up orders to their big inventory of cars on the ground and cars coming down the assembly line. Wanted to get as many N. American cars deliverd as possible by EOQ. Then they changed gears and began shipping all the inventory and new builds over to Asia and Europe due to the huge pent up demand over there. Tons of cars are now on boats and heading overseas. Somebody forgot to change and update the website.

Soon they will, once again, focus all production back to N. America to get as many cars as possible delivered prior to EOY. Will again have a huge push to get cars down the line and out the door to customers before the final Tax Credit totally goes away.

Biggest issue for Tesla is to manage the tremendous demand for their cars, that currently exceeds their ability to accelerate production. Hopefully the new factory in China and the soon to be announced Gigafactory in Europe, will prevent this from becoming an annual event.

Biggest issue is the poor communication, on almost every level from top down, it seems. It starts from the website for many of us (mine also said 2 weeks, ordered 10/13 in early AM). But, if you take a step back and simply look at the delivery times alone, they are on par or even better than most (considering these are all made to individuals specs). I have "custom" ordered a few vehicles, delivery times were 8-10 weeks. My 2016 CTS-V was supposed to be ready in August, I took delivery like Jan 3rd. I am not making excuses for Tesla. I admit the wait is frustrating on many levels, but the delivery times are actually respectable.

At least they fixed the website delivery time frame.

I must say, THIS is what makes the wait bearable - the community of "soon to be" Tesla owners who support each other through the gripes, the consoling, and the outrage.

Not saying this was intentional on Tesla's part, but when you have fought next to your fellow soldiers in the fox hole, you gain the respect of your fellow band of brothers and sisters.

Keep up the good fight, my friends.

Oh... and no, not quite the same as actual war... first world problems here ya'll :)

Now granted I’ve been literally in the dark for many days being blacked-out in California, but doesn't the Fremont factory still have to switch over production to North American cars first? I get the impression that this has yet to happen.

If not, we are looking at minuscule reallocation of existing inventory.

Any news here I missed?

Now granted I’ve been literally in the dark for many days being blacked-out in California, but doesn't the Fremont factory still have to switch over production to North American cars first? I get the impression that this has yet to happen.

If not, we are looking at minuscule reallocation of existing inventory.

Any news here I missed?

Look at the spreadsheet for VINS. There are a lot of them with orders from October with 535xxx and above VINS. The numbers are increasing. A few have reported their VINs that are MY 2020.

Spies have also reported truckloads of M3s coming from the plant and cruising the freeways. International shipments are via rail.

All circumstantial, of course. I won't know for sure until I'm sitting in my new Model 3. :)

They're learning and growing as they go. Honestly, as far as they've come in the few years they've been mass producing is still extremely impressive.

They still have a lot to learn. I get the part about filling orders based on region, but running like models in batches is a 1950’s production methodology, especially of a plant that set out to have a new level of automation.

Take a tour of BMWs Dingolfing plant. You’ll see 5, 6, and 7 series rolling down the same production line, in any configuration (wagons, long wheelbase, etc) and in any color. BMW is hardly unique in this regard.

Someone needs to tell Elon who Shigeo Shingo was.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
Same boat 10/5 east coast. It's ok.

I check my account page a few too many times a day. I come to these forums more than I would like to admit.

By the end of this I don't think I will regret it. So I am going to keep waiting the way I've been.

yes they should have updated the estimate on the website or at least had a note (within 2 weeks if your particular configuration is in stock)

ordered m3p on sept 29th..this wait is killing me.
I rented one twice off of turo so far to hold me over..
I need my car!

They still have a lot to learn. I get the part about filling orders based on region, but running like models in batches is a 1950’s production methodology, especially of a plant that set out to have a new level of automation.

Take a tour of BMWs Dingolfing plant. You’ll see 5, 6, and 7 series rolling down the same production line, in any configuration (wagons, long wheelbase, etc) and in any color. BMW is hardly unique in this regard.

Someone needs to tell Elon who Shigeo Shingo was.

First mass produced US automobile in 100 years. Not to mention, one that completely innovated the EV market and broke countless hurdles. Of course they have room to grow mate. You're comparing an innovative 10 year old company to a manufacturer that was making airplane engines and vehicles in the second world war.....

Reactions: rtshefe
Has anyone ever ordered a car from another manufacturer? It takes months to get that vehicle. I can't remember all the different factors, but I know it isn't based on when the dealer "orders" the car. When ordered, the dealer (my dad was the general manager) quoted me 4-6 months. The car arrived roughly 3 1/2 months later.

Your car will be here soon enough. I ordered my first Tesla April 15 and took delivery on June 3rd. Figure out all the accessories and you want, get your garages cleaned up and soon enough it will be here.

Has anyone ever ordered a car from another manufacturer? It takes months to get that vehicle. I can't remember all the different factors, but I know it isn't based on when the dealer "orders" the car. When ordered, the dealer (my dad was the general manager) quoted me 4-6 months. The car arrived roughly 3 1/2 months later.

Your car will be here soon enough. I ordered my first Tesla April 15 and took delivery on June 3rd. Figure out all the accessories and you want, get your garages cleaned up and soon enough it will be here.

Great point - colleague of mine ordered a Mercedes SUV - I believe he placed the order back in May/June and he definitely hadn't taken delivery as recently as two weeks ago. I do think that since Teslas are so flippin cool, unique, the cutting edge of many technologies, and that people generally ordering Teslas are so passionate, the wait feels eternal.

Last edited:

Yes, many times. Have ordered 3 Corvettes and multiple Ford trucks. With the Corvettes you get codes that tell you the progress. When the order has been accepted, approved to build, build week, built, shipped and delivered (and a few other steps). So there is certainly better communication. I ordered a new X on 10/22 and at time was told 4-8 weeks to delivery (new orders say 3-7 weeks). As long as that window is accurate will be fine, but it would be nice to narrow it down and perhaps advise when it has actually been built so you can make sure all financing is arranged and decide to trade in or sell current car.

Ok. I am struggling to make sense of things now. I am starting to see other orders on the tracking sheet which were placed 12 days + AFTER my order was placed, with essentially the same or similar configuration, get a VIN and delivery date even though I am on the East Coast.

Does that make any sense to anyone?

LR AWD
Deep Blue Metallic
White Premium Interior
19 in Sport Wheels
FSD

Please someone help me see the logic as I understood East Coast would be delivered first. At the very least I would have expected my VIN (even in source code, which there is not) to show up before someone ordering almost 2 weeks after (even if we both are on the East Coast).

My SA had not responded to outreach (as expected). Not sure what to make of this.

R

Telsa screwed up communications telling people in person and on their website ordering in early Oct 2019 ; 2 weeks
They have since corrected that.

Had you asked most board members with knowledge of Telsa back then they would have told you once you missed the Q3 sales push for delivery that your car will be delivered by end of Q4. Could be sooner but expect mid Dec time and be happy if earlier.
That is just how Telsa does it at least right now, will some get their cars sooner ; Yes and sometimes there will be no logical reason as to why. Asking anyone at Telsa for an update or explanation will not get you anywhere and only raise your level of frustration.
All they really care about is getting you your car before the quarter's end.

If they set the expectations correctly to start Q4 you would not be upset and may even be very happy if you car is earlier.
No that you know the truth you can remain upset or just accept the fact that communications is a big weakness at Telsa and move past that since the car is great.

Reactions: JesusQuintana
First mass produced US automobile in 100 years. Not to mention, one that completely innovated the EV market and broke countless hurdles. Of course they have room to grow mate. You're comparing an innovative 10 year old company to a manufacturer that was making airplane engines and vehicles in the second world war.....

Not doubting the innovation in the least. It just reminds me that that design engineering and manufacturing engineering, although intertwined, are two really different things.

Not doubting the innovation in the least. It just reminds me that that design engineering and manufacturing engineering, although intertwined, are two really different things.

It's true, and even Elon said that making the car was the easier part of anything Tesla. Making the thing that makes the car, is 100X more difficult. They'll get where they need to be, but I think it's relatively unfair to expect them to be there within such a short time frame, with 1/100th the experience of a major automobile manufacturer.

I know there isn't much to communicate but everyone is correct some status would be nice, e.g. your vehicle is estimated to be made on xx/xx/xxxx date, your car has been made.

I will trade communication over the dealership experience any day. Even with knowing people and not having to haggle on price, the last car I bought still took around 3 hours. The time before that I was in the dealership for over 8 hours.