Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any luck softening the suspension in the 2021/2022 refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On straight roads with crappy surfaces my MSLR feels more like a truck than a sedan. Setting the suspension to comfort doesn't make a discernible difference. Since the comfort mode doesn't work do you think this is something that Tesla can fix with a software update? If not are there any suspension mods out there to help soften the ride? Lowering the tire pressure only helps a wee bit.

My passengers have these complaints so I end up driving my ICE car if I am playing chauffeur. Right now I can only address one of them.
  • Too much acceleration (I could put it in chill mode but why?)
  • Hard to get in and out since car is low to the ground even with suspension raised
  • No grab handles which could help with two above issues
  • Harsh ride
  • Austere interior

On straight roads with crappy surfaces my MSLR feels more like a truck than a sedan. Setting the suspension to comfort doesn't make a discernible difference. Since the comfort mode doesn't work do you think this is something that Tesla can fix with a software update? If not are there any suspension mods out there to help soften the ride? Lowering the tire pressure only helps a wee bit.

My passengers have these complaints so I end up driving my ICE car if I am playing chauffeur. Right now I can only address one of them.
  • Too much acceleration (I could put it in chill mode but why?)
  • Hard to get in and out since car is low to the ground even with suspension raised
  • No grab handles which could help with two above issues
  • Harsh ride
  • Austere interior
Unfortunately not. Tesla is aware of the suspension issue in the Refresh S/X and nothing has been done to fix it since the vehicle launched. I suspect that has to be because it is a hardware issue.

Yes, the fix is to purchase aftermarket lighter forged wheels or at minimal a Brake Kit with lighter rotors. Signature SV104 wheels are quite popular... or go for 19"s factory wheels..

I noticed when I upgraded my brakes to Unplugged Perfomance big brake oversized kit, it dropped about 2 lbs off each of my suspension and the ride immeditaly felt much better. Comfort feels way more like comfort and significant less thud over bumps.

The issue is the 21"s are extremely heavy.. The suspension is actually quite good but you cant experience it without reducing wheel weight or at least upgrading to lighter rotors. I took a ride in my brothers Plaid w 21"s recently and complained to him it was so stiff till he showed me it was in comfort mode. Then I realized how much of a difference my Plaid was to his with just a little less unsprung weight.. Lighter wheels will have the biggest effect and you will absoultley fall in love with the ride..

Yes, the fix is to purchase aftermarket lighter forged wheels or at minimal a Brake Kit with lighter rotors. Signature SV104 wheels are quite popular... or go for 19"s factory wheels..

I noticed when I upgraded my brakes to Unplugged Perfomance big brake oversized kit, it dropped about 2 lbs off each of my suspension and the ride immeditaly felt much better. Comfort feels way more like comfort and significant less thud over bumps.

The issue is the 21"s are extremely heavy.. The suspension is actually quite good but you cant experience it without reducing wheel weight or at least upgrading to lighter rotors. I took a ride in my brothers Plaid w 21"s recently and complained to him it was so stiff till he showed me it was in comfort mode. Then I realized how much of a difference my Plaid was to his with just a little less unsprung weight.. Lighter wheels will have the biggest effect and you will absoultley fall in love with the ride..
And for those of us with factory 19” wheels,
what’s the explanation for the poor suspension?

On my refreshed X the ride is buttery smooth and quiet. Far more so than in my previous 2019 Raven. Have 20" stock wheels. Would not change a thing.
Lighter wheels and brakes might make it better still, but for me the juice is not worth the squeeze.

Settings on automatic. I can feel the suspension firm up when doing high speed sweepers.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I must have gotten to the rough ride.. Just the lighter rotors on my Plaid made me content enough.. I agree though, its very stiff in general, but the car is very heavy so that comes with the territory for performance I guess..