Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any M3 owners with a family regret it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. I have a 6 and 4 year old with booster seats. No regrets. If I had a 3rd kid it would be tight until they were out of the booster seats, but for a family of 4 it works well. The only cargo limitation is large suitcases. If you have smaller bags you can fit plenty between the frunk and trunk well.

I came from a 2006 BMW 325i that I used for pick up/drop off to school/grandma's for my seven and two year old. The 3 feels a touch smaller in the front, but is definitely bigger in the rear so there was more room for the kids in the back. The only problem is if I wanted to bring another adult with our family of four, we couldn't. I did have an S loaner and I have to admit, it was nice to be able to drive around three adults and two kids. For my daily commute it's perfect. I imagine it would be doable in a road trip as well with the well/frunk, but we have my wife's 2016 Acura MDX for that.

Model 3 was already obsolete before it was released. During the Tesla truck event they announced a faster Supercharger 3.0. This will trickle down to lower end Teslas in the future which current Model 3 can’t take advantage of. I don’t think we can take full advantage of 200kw let alone 350kw. Elon promised something faster than Porsche so maybe 500kw?

If you are chasing tech, you will always come out on the losing end. Tesla moves fast. My Model 3 has HW2.5 and future will have HW3.0 and HW4.0 even before you can pay off the Model 3.

Model Y is coming soon and it’ll might be better than a Model 3.

Buying a Tesla is like an iPhone. Do you buy one this year or wait for next year?

Reactions: Kant.Ing
Making this post before reading other replies. Looks like this is an interesting thread, and didn't want my initial reaction clouded by others. Will definitely read through thread, though.

So my main worry now is size and comfort of the interior for us humans and that everyone will be comfortable on multi-hour road trips.

Would love to hear from anyone that has an M3 and a family (especially if you also own(ed) an MS) if the M3 isn't big enough to enjoy it comfortably.
Leg room-wise, Model 3 is nearly the same as S; obviously less width. I forget the exact stats, but Model 3 interior is shorter by 1/4" or something.

The ride is quite harsh compared with wife's 2004 Infiniti G35. Suspension and rebound are relatively harsh. Acceleration and deceleration can induce motion sickness. And cornering can pull some major G's. I've had to completely shift driving styles and habits.

As we live in the city, it's a great little car that seems made for the narrow streets and tight situations. And an awesome commuter on the days I need to visit the corporate office 30 miles away. Once we move to suburbs in five years, will definitely reevaluate.

We're keeping the 14+ year-old Infiniti for road trips with the kids: much younger at 2 and 6. The plush ride; the short gas stops; the nostalgia. Wife does majority of driving because she loves the journey of a road trip.

For your situation, I'd recommend waiting for updated Model S, sadly. Model 3 is an awesome vehicle, but doesn't sound suited for your situation.

Now, if you're like me, you're going to go ahead and buy anyways, then start looking at aftermarket suspension. I hear MPP has some great comfort springs for RWD, and forthcoming for AWD. Need to start saving for that $3000-$4000 change...

Reactions: Kant.Ing
If you were in California and weren't asking for MORE than what a new Model 3 costs (which seems everyone is expecting?) I'd be inquiring.

Can't imagine what you have going on that would make it your 3rd car and not your first one. I really can't - and not just being a fan boy as I could have bought ANYTHING (within reason) for my loaded 3P+.
Why would I be asking more than a new one? I'm asking 55k (62k new - 7500 incentive). It cost me 62 + 5k in taxes which I can't expect the buyer to eat the taxes that just part of the process

I'm not saying it's my 3rd Tesla. I have an Infiniti QX60 suv to haul my 100lb German Shepard, a Nissan 370z convertible because it's a fun summer car, and now the Model 3. I like cars, I own my own business and am fortunate to do well. You're right after buying it I've decided I would have rather had an AMG

Reactions: 16Coma
Myself, wife, newborn daughter and dog.

This hitch carrier makes a world of difference, especially when we have to bring all of the baby stuff with us on trips.

Attachments

• C6A0656E-2405-4794-83C6-EBB544650DC4.jpeg
    C6A0656E-2405-4794-83C6-EBB544650DC4.jpeg
    696.8 KB · Views: 156
Family of four here. Spouse is 6’4” and 10-year old gets a bit uncomfortable when he drives. She’s tall and the higher floor of the car doesn’t help. I love my model 3 and 95% of the time it is just me or the kids and myself in the car. The kid in booster seat doesn’t mind when dad is in passenger seat. Agree that is more of how tall the people upfront are. I’ve also had 2 kids and a booster in the back and they were all comfy.

family of four. m3 awd. a month after purchase we took a road trip from virginia to disney world. I'm 6ft. wife is 5'8 . 5 year old and 7 year old. 2 weeks of luggage plus one huge piece of luggage with costumes. and bags and bags of stuff. we traded in our minivan for the car. we certainly reached max cargo capacity but we made it work. we did not have to choose anything to leave behind. no compromises. kids never complained about space. they did have tiny bags under their feet and pillows and stuffed animals surrounding them. but we did make it work.

honestly the only thing that matters with tesla roadtrips is: is your wife ok with stopping to charge, or are you going to get static about it.

go to a betterrouteplanner.com and plan out some sample routes of your most common long distance trips and get a feel for when the stops are. and make sure shes ok with it.

if she's not cool with it, its going to be a constant irritation between you both and is going to make it stressful and a pita. if shes cool with it, then you will be fine and the car will do everything you need it to do, wherever you need it to go.

legal disclaimers:
1.) the above poster does not mean to say wives are always the ones that may have an issue with stopping to charge
2.) the above poster is not saying that if your wife does have an issue with stopping to charge, that there is something wrong with your wife. getting over the mental barrier or having to get where you are going absolutely as fast as an ICE car is a mental hurdle that not everyone is going to get over this early into the EV revolution.