Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Market for Tesla Powerwall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a pair for a bit less than $3700 each. Considering I could be on the hook for $4K in taxes, I feel it was a fair deal.
Were these from the forum? I'm waiting to come across one for around that price before I get my current referral Powerwall 2 installed (I want two total for air conditioning, but the one is just sitting in the box in my garage in the meantime).

Were these from the forum? I'm waiting to come across one for around that price before I get my current referral Powerwall 2 installed (I want two total for air conditioning, but the one is just sitting in the box in my garage in the meantime).
This was a purchase from someone on the forums. A sort of friend of a friend scenario. Very seamless transaction, but took a long time due to Tesla’s general slowness...

Following up, Tesla was able to stop the shipping and transfer to the buyer of my PW. Given that he has a new solar roof and 3 PW's on order with Tesla coming very soon they also extended the free gateway and $1,000 installation credit to my buyer. I didn't ask for more, but he offered to bump up from $4,750 to $5,000 for it. He gets a $2,100 value, so it's a big win-win!

Following up, Tesla was able to stop the shipping and transfer to the buyer of my PW. Given that he has a new solar roof and 3 PW's on order with Tesla coming very soon they also extended the free gateway and $1,000 installation credit to my buyer. I didn't ask for more, but he offered to bump up from $4,750 to $5,000 for it. He gets a $2,100 value, so it's a big win-win!

Nice do you know or have confirmed what the tax liability on it as you completed the W9?

Not sure if this is 100% accurate. Reddit had a poster state that due to situations in CA, prices have gone up. Portland had someone state fair market was actually around $9,000.00 due to Tesla supply and markets going up. Could be false but who knows.

Not sure if this is 100% accurate. Reddit had a poster state that due to situations in CA, prices have gone up. Portland had someone state fair market was actually around $9,000.00 due to Tesla supply and markets going up. Could be false but who knows.

There are more powerwalls available than they know what to do with. Anyone that tells you otherwise, needs to make a phone call. 2020 is the year of Energy.

I didn't confirm, but would assume they'll 1099 me at a value of $8,600.
is it just me, or could this mean some people end up giving these away? i mean if you're selling something worth $8600 and get $4000 for it...but your marginal tax rate is in the 45% range, aren't you on the hook for nearly ALL of what you got for it? Our top marginal tax rate in Ontario Canada is 53.53% (how are ya) but I know that some states are well into the 40s for big income (New York, CT etc).

You have to go by the effective tax rate, not marginal tax rate. Everyone has a different set of circumstances to reduce their bottom line tax liability. If people are selling for $4k, yeah, they'll end up with a surprise tax bill when (if?) Tesla sends out those 1099s.

That said, I helped friends sell 4 referral PW2s for $4k each, but in those cases, the buyer assumed the tax liability.

• Helpful
Reactions: ra88it