TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Any Midwestern Tesla owners heading to Carbondale, IL for the eclipse?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by RogerHScott, Aug 15, 2017.

1. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

I'm thinking of heading down to Carbondale, IL to see the max totality of the eclipse on Monday. Any other IL/MO/IN/KY/TN Tesla folks with similar plans? Pretty good SpC support in that region :)

2. Joe F

Joe F Member

Hmmmmm, not Midwestern here, but at 900 or so miles, and a better chance of clear skies, it's tempting. Santee SC weather starting to look better than a few days ago though, and 300 miles less.

With no responses, I guess there are no other Tesla's in the Midwest :)

3. William13

William13 Member

Roger, I may join you. I scheduled the day off but life or clouds may change my plans.

4. LJordan

LJordan Member

I am heading down from Chicago Sunday evening and will stay overnight south of Champaign. I am looking for a park or forest preserve a little south of Carbondale for the main event.

5. RogerHScott

We're now wondering whether the region between Bowling Green, KY and Nashville, TN might make more sense -- easier to get to, and just as eclipse-y. I guess Hopkinsville, KY (just a little to the west of this area) is the absolute max place. But, man, the number of people expected to descend upon these areas is a bit scary...

6. Chris P

Chris P Member

I'm planning on heading down to Carbondale.

7. croman

croman Active Member

My family and I will be heading down in our S. We're staying in Springfield but will be going to Carbondale area for the eclipse. Hopefully the weather cooperates!

8. Joe F

Joe F Member

If it doesn't freak some out, looks like Cave Springs Cemetery in Hopkinsville is on the centerline. With respect to the dearly departed within of course.

9. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

What are the projections? I'd like to go.

10. Hey_Hey

Hey_Hey Member

Hundreds of thousands around Nashville evidently. There are only a few hotels left and are running $800-900/night on the 20th. I saw a Knights Inn in Lebanon listed for $700.....yes, a Knights Inn.

• Funny x 1
  11. Joe F

Joe F Member

From LA? Long drive. I thought I was crazy at only 900 or so miles. Or at least, that's what my wife said, right before she said "Bye!" :)

12. RogerHScott

Yeah, between the completely insane crowds (I'm not worried about before so much, but after...) and having a couple of other trips to do both before and after I'm afraid we decided to bail on this. The 2024 eclipse goes right through Indianapolis, 70 miles from us, so that'll be a much better opportunity (if we're still around here then). For those going, good luck and enjoy!

13. Joe F

Joe F Member

Yeah, the 20 to 30 mile traffic jam Thursday in Oregon was kind of unnerving.

Hoping the weather forecast for SC turns around. Also at 73 by 2024, I hope I'll still be around. Maybe my paid for FSD option will be a real thing by then. :rolleyes:

14. Vern Padgett

Vern Padgett Proud and Grinning Model S90D owners

That would tell me I'd need to check out how it is to sleep in the Model S with seats back.

About 30 years ago I slept in the back of my 1987 Integra, seats back, rather than use the money for a motel that the tenting company gave me. I'm sure my S90D would be more comfortable.

• Like x 2
  15. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Lol. I'm in Wisconsin right now so it's not that far.